esoterica

OP
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm very new to the Wii modding scene and somehow managed to get it right and have back ups running now. Sometimes my Wii will freeze and it freaks me out a little.. and some programs have those warnings that say it might brick my Wii. What can I do to prevent my Wii from bricking, is there any way to safe guard against this, and what are the usual causes for this happening?

TheNewbPleaser

Trophies
XP
Country
uninstalling ios 60 on a v4.0 or 4.1 wii causes your wii to brick ios 70 for 4.2 uninstalling system menu or installing a stub ios used by system menu. And most installers may cause a brick if ur installing something and power goes out or internet connection goes off.! ill recomend to try getting bootmii as boot2 with a nand backup or preloader

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just read guides. Dont pretend you know better than tried and trusted guides. Dont think in terms of software and think you'll just uninstall something and try again. Read guides. Don't go trying shit you think will work - read guides.

dragonrose

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
As has been said always read guides you know can be trusted (example are ones which have lots of replies etc and on trusted site) and be sure to have bootmii installed and a backup nand dump. Also preloader to disable any on disc updates which can brick your wii.

Gobnoblin

Trophies
XP
Country
yup bootmii and preloader are about your best defense after of course a firm working knowledge of what you are attempting to do.... read read read and re read are your first lines of defense

Blasingame

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Upgrading to 4.2 can cause you Wii to brick even if it's legit.
(In some cases >_>)

Don't upgrade to 4.2 it's not necessary.

xfcrowman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are a number of conditions that will cause a wii to brick:

-Uninstalling the system menu or the IOS that runs the system menu = brick

-Installing a stub IOS instead of the IOS that is needed to run the system menu. For example, if you install IOS60 v6400 (a stub) instead of IOS60 v6174 and you are running System Menu 4.0 or 4.1, you'll brick.

-Installing a faulty wad can lead to a brick (commonly known as banner bricks)

-Installing the wrong IOS to run the System menu will lead to a brick. For instance, if you install IOS30 v1040 and System Menu 4.0 - 4.1 and you don't have IOS60 v6174, you'll brick because IOS30 is needed to run System Menu 3.2, but cannot be used to run any other version of the System Menu. However, if IOS60 v6174 is present on the wii, then you'll have no problems because IOS60 v6174 runs System Menu 4.0 - 4.1.

There are definitely other ways to brick (e.g. doing something stupid with preloader), but these are the most common ways that I could think of. If you look at the numerous "OMG I bricked mah wii!!1!" threads, you'll find that most of the bricks fall into the first 3 categories I mentioned. That being said, people need to read extensively so that you know what you're doing before you softmod, and relying on current, trusted guides (e.g. complete softmod guide or xzxero's guide) is the way to go.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Q what causes your Wii to brick?

A Not reading OR doing something no one has ever done before.

So unless you are doing something "new" just read up on the subject, if others have done what you want to do then you can do it too just by reading and understanding the steps etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: :lol: