What causes the "Requested frame not found" bug in Virtualdub2?

GAPMan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Windows 10 Home laptop has broken down and I am now focred to use my older Windows XP comutper. I mostly used Virtualdub2 to complete my video projects but I cannot use it on XP. There is a bug called "Requested frame not found" that seems to prevent me from converting my files to mp4 as well as upscale them. I want o know what causes this bug? And if ther eamnyway to solve it? I also want to know about the "input caching driver"?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know how many people around here will have used it in anger/be able to answer questions.

Personally I only tended to use virtualdub for capture (it is a wonderful capture program) and maybe grabbing frame numbers for avisynth.

Generally I would suggest avoiding virtualdub as well in favour of other things (don't know if you can still get megui going on with XP but that was what I used to use) -- even the forks like 2 have sharply limited options for inputs, outputs (probably still going to need VFW as well, but ffdshow with encoder can probably be persuaded there and I see it features a few more things these days*) and containers, and that is not considering the limited abilities in other things (it is not technically a linear editor as you can with some annoyance chop and append several things together but it might as well be for most purposes for anybody used to timeline based or clip based)
You can bypass a lot of it with avisynth (the scripts you need for simple input are "directshowsource("somefile.mp4")" in a text editor and save that as .avs before loading it like any normal avi which is nice, though if you are upscaling then I would also suggest doing that in avisynth as it has basically the same as virtualdub internally and nice fancy upscalers as external filters if this upscaling is not just a nearest neighbour effort for some game footage).

*it was still VirtualDub FilterMod when I was paying attention properly there but a quick scan says not a lot of things have changed.

Alternatively avidemux https://avidemux.sourceforge.net/ is a nice simple editor that will have many of the same features and be far nicer on inputs and outputs.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Virtualdub? AVIsynth?
I feel nostalgic now... I didn't even know somebody created a "Virtualdub2" after Avery Lee stopped updating the original one.

If you just need to "upscale and convert mp4 files", without any additional editing, then I think the best option is to just use ffmpeg and the command line.

Sure some build of ffmpeg works in XP, maybe an older one.
Here I put a command line example I used to convert some files (to make some game run better on Steam Deck), including some cropping, FPS conversion and resizing:

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -filter:v "crop=1920:960:0:60" -vcodec libxvid -r 30 -s 1280x640 -b:v 6000k -acodec pcm_s16le output.avi

You just need to change the options including vcodec, acodec and bitrate for the ones you want.

PS: This post is mostly redundant, as FAST already gave you way more useful hints... But I hope at least the example command line is good for something.

GAPMan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit: I will give those hints a shot but I will have to find programs with similar features to Virtualdub2 (VirtualDubMod). I will also have to look into my library and see if ther computers are up to snuff.

Edit 2: I also want to see my video results in AVIsynth. How do you do that in AVISynth? Or what programs use AVISynth? I ask because Virtualdub has many features that helps in the creation of clips.

Last edited by GAPMan,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Most media players, and indeed virtualdub, will be able to play avisynth scripts back as video -- it acts as something called a frameserver which in turn fakes being an AVI file as far as the player is concerned with basic codecs/standards (which most things in turn load and will load, have had some trouble with windows media player in the past and sometimes with media player classic with some of the codec packs out there). If you start getting way into the weeds with high end filters and stacking videos it might not do real time but the average trim, splice, crop, resize, border, title card, text overlay, image overlay (be it logo, insert or ken burns effect to pad out a scene) and basic colour tweak (full bore colour correction is more of a fun thing, oh and you can do basic keying/greenscreen with it as well) that most video editing entails for most things then it will be fine is the base machine can handle the playback (don't know what the XP machine is but if it is trying to decode 4k H264 on a netbook... yeah).

I am not sure what features virtualdub has that are so valuable (outside of capture options) -- it had nice trim options and input-output for filters, which for the term were quite impressive, and the playback/input could be resized happily enough.
Its annoyances for compiling lists of videos in a more modern editing sense (as opposed to a segmented TV capture/footage typical of a home video camera of the day where you just wanted a big file, maybe losing some adverts), trimming them all and then wanting to tweak the trims and ordering, features a timeline (most things in the pro, semi pro and high end open source world -- kdenlive if you happen to have a Linux setup is great) or clip based (I really do like avisynth's approach here) editor can trivially handle is what has me questioning.

On avisynth most of the baseline feature set was if not shared code then made to behave similarly and use a similar terminology ( http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Internal_filters should look quite familiar). It can also use vdub external filters ( http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Plugins ) if somehow it is not replicated internally or in a more avisynth focused version of the filter ( http://avisynth.nl/index.php/External_filters ); most things will be but there might be some obscure thing or you might want the jank of an old filter for your purposes (best way to fake that 90s look is to use 90s equipment and all that, hopefully you are not dealing with interlaced footage).

https://gbatemp.net/threads/be-a-great-video-maker-and-replicate-this-video-effect.360509/ has some applied stuff if you wanted that. Should have a copy of the GBA intro logo sendup around here somewhere as well I made for the video reviews.

GAPMan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i had been looking into overlays in addition to trying to upscale videos. I will have totake a look into that as I wanted to trim, cut, crop and upscale videos.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative