Problem with microphone

ron2797k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi! I purchased a Lavalier microphone to use it for conferences on my laptop (has Windows 11 and only one input 3.5) but I have the problem that when I connect it detects it as headphones and I do not know what to do, I tried to update the drivers (Realtek), try from control panel in audio devices but still detects it as output (headphones) and nothing, I also tried the microphone on another laptop that has Windows 7 and on my cell phone and if it works. I also purchased a USB sound card that has separate inputs for headphones and microphone but in this case it is not heard and I have read that lowers the audio quality. If anyone has gone through the same thing or has any idea how to get it to recognize it as a microphone by connecting it directly to the 3.5 input on the laptop I would really appreciate your help.
The microphone is TRRS but it includes an adapter to TRS and I already tried both ways but it still detects it as headphones.
I really hope that someone can and will help me Thank you! And sorry for my bad english

Last edited by ron2797k,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Rarely see things with adapters like that... interesting.
Autodetect is ever the fun one. I don't think there are any options to force in basic windows control panel. I don't know what it will do for detection offhand, and you do want to it detect -- Microphones might have power put to them which you don't necessarily want to do for headphones.
I do also have to ask if you are sure your laptop has an input here. Some do not any more.

If your USB setup works then go with that. Modern ones should be fine as well on the quality front, or at least far better than the lav mic is going to be able to put out.

Main thing to check is as it is the nearest the surface rings that are used in this it is also the most likely to be covered in something or bent. Peer in there and see, maybe give it a tickle with a wooden toothpick to try to clean it (contact cleaner, not automotive ones though, if you have it).

Reactions: ron2797k

ron2797k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Rarely see things with adapters like that... interesting.
Autodetect is ever the fun one. I don't think there are any options to force in basic windows control panel. I don't know what it will do for detection offhand, and you do want to it detect -- Microphones might have power put to them which you don't necessarily want to do for headphones.
I do also have to ask if you are sure your laptop has an input here. Some do not any more.

If your USB setup works then go with that. Modern ones should be fine as well on the quality front, or at least far better than the lav mic is going to be able to put out.

Main thing to check is as it is the nearest the surface rings that are used in this it is also the most likely to be covered in something or bent. Peer in there and see, maybe give it a tickle with a wooden toothpick to try to clean it (contact cleaner, not automotive ones though, if you have it).
Thank you for your response! Yes it seems that this problem is uncommon, I have searched related topics on the internet and there is little information.
As you mention in the control panel (and in no other section of the system) I find some option to change the way it autodetects the connected device. I really don't know how much power the computer provides to the microphone when it is connected and if it influences the way it is detected.
Regarding the 3.5 input of the laptop I guess it is input and output (by the silkscreen it looks like a headphone with microphone).

By USB I managed to make it work by connecting to the audio card a splitter of some old Hyperx headphones (the headphones no longer work) and to the splitter the microphone. It doesn't really sound bad but it would be good to save so many connections and learn how to solve this kind of problems (of course only if possible).

I would like to believe that the 3.5 input is in good condition since the laptop is new (only a couple of weeks old) but I will check it with a wooden stick. For cleaning I only have isopropyl alcohol, can I use it or is it better to get a contact cleaner? Again thank you very much for your answer

Attached is a picture of the silkscreen of the connector.

Attachments

• IMG_20230511_023306.jpg
    IMG_20230511_023306.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 26

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
IPA is not as potent as most contact cleaners (if you get either on cuts in your hand you will know the difference) but better than nothing/raw mechanical.

Re non working headphones. Many times they are just dodgy wires or a volume box you can bypass so if you still have them then it might be an easy enough fix.

I should probably also mention USB hubs. They get a bit wobbly when things start to need a lot of power but if you are only connecting a few lower power devices, or even better low power and low speed, then fantastic. If this is for conferences then part of the conference kit with all the other wires, pointers and such like.

The power it provides is more that you don't want the power going out to a line in/line audio device, and depending upon the nature of things you speakers in your headphones either. There is not likely to be any active devices in this sort of thing (step up into the pro world and different matter entirely) so it is probably resistance based, another reason to make sure it is clean and not got some of the fluff and nastiness ports tend to attract.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: