Gaming What cable speed should I get?

SkyintheSea

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I was using wifi off my neighbors router.
Now they have a password for the wifi.

I have no other choice, but to get cable.
Should I get 1mbps or 5mbps?

I game a lot, download a lot, streaming videos/music and surf the web a lot.
What speed would be sufficient for gaming without high ping?

(is cable faster than a wireless router?)
Should I add $10 more for wireless?
I heard that wireless is much better than cable. Is it true?

I don't want to pay to over $30, because I am a student paying bills and only working part time.

Charter:
5mbps = $30 monthly 6 months
1mbps = $20 monthly 6 months
Adding wireless is $10

Please help! Thanks!

SkyintheSea

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, Charter let's you add the wireless feature in for $10 is it worth it?
So you say 1 mbps should do well enough or should I get 5 mpbs for the long run?

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
WTF? I'm sorry but 1Mb/s is not good at all. You say you download a lot, and game a lot, with that kind of speed you can still and probably will lag on some servers. Opt out for the 5Mbps. Its much better.

upbumpo190

Trophies
Website
ethericwarriors.eu
XP
Country
France
5 Megs is even slow... I've found 8 Megs to be acceptable in my eyes.

My advice, get 8 megs, and buy your own router (get one that's DD-WRT compatible) and setup your own wi-fi.

Why pay 10 bucks a month for something you can get for life for 30 bucks?

ISP's hardware sucks in any case...

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
translation for you

at 1mpbs you'll be downloading at about 100kb/sec~
at 5mpbs you'll be downloading at about 600kb/sec~

and about the wireless thing. if you are gaming competitively, i wouldn't recommend it. if its casual and you don't mind lagg from time to time or connection drop outs get it. though the latter is only dependant on how big the place you are living is.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Take the 5 mbps. It's 10 bucks more for 5x the speed.

Also, a bit confused on the wireless thing. Is it 10 bucks more a month and you get a wireless router? Or is it straight wireless? And if it's straight wireless, are you able to get it anywhere you go where they have an access point?

I mean if it's 10 bucks more for a simple router, save the money and get a cheap wireless router.

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:

Also, a bit confused on the wireless thing. Is it 10 bucks more a month and you get a wireless router? Or is it straight wireless? And if it's straight wireless, are you able to get it anywhere you go where they have an access point?

I mean if it's 10 bucks more for a simple router, save the money and get a cheap wireless router.
I think a wireless plan is where they give you a usb stick with wifi capabilities that allow you recieve reception like cellphones do. I'm not entirely sure how that works.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
triassic911 said:
Jiggah said:

I think a wireless plan is where they give you a usb stick with wifi capabilities that allow you recieve reception like cellphones do. I'm not entirely sure how that works.
If that's the case, it's only worth it if you have a laptop that you take away from home.

And mobile broadband for just $10 a month?
blink.gif

moose3

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well you could first ask the neighbor if you can pay them half the cost a month and keep using their connection = $10-15 a month.

If you have to get your own, as mentioned, buy your own router, don't pay $10 a month if you need wireless. You can buy one for about $30.

Unless it's some great new deal for first time users only to get the 5mb/s cheap, go with the lower one and see if you can stand the download speeds. You can always upgrade to the faster connection. If it's some deal and you go low, you normally can't get the fast price once you are a subscriber.

Personally I'm cheap, and my cable connection is getting around 100kB/s download. As .Radiant mentioned, the numbers they give are in bits by the company, whereas we think of file sizes in Bytes, 8:1 ratio. Streaming videos will need to buffer up a bit, maybe a few times if you skip around, but not that bad. Downloads are slow, but I don't need anything so urgently.

However you can't do any intensive online gaming on your Xbox while streaming video to the comp attached to your TV, or watch a video while downloading an iso. Multitasking isn't an option with such a slow speed, unless your gaming is old school mudding.

Bloodgod

嵐の王
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Its not mobile broadband. Its exactly what ppl said above, they rent out a router for you. Next door neighbor is on Comcast HSI with cable modem/wireless router 2 in 1 device made by linksys. In other words FAIL.

BTT 5>1. did you guys fail basic math?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Nobody is reading what you post.