What are the differences between these two games? (Seaman)

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by RemixDeluxe, Aug 4, 2015.

1. RemixDeluxe
    OP

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/dreamcast/198567-seaman

http://www.gamefaqs.com/dreamcast/578156-seaman-kindan-no-pet-2001

I tried looking into this thing on various forums and no one could figure this out. The first game was released in both regions so I thought initially the first game was for US and the 2nd was Japan but thats not the case here. Then that 2nd game came out a year after the first one so this could possibly mean its an updated version with various fixes but thats just a guess.

Is that all it is, an updated version of the original game?

2. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Seaman (シーマン Shīman?) is a virtual pet video game for the Sega Dreamcast. It is one of the few Dreamcast games to take advantage of the microphone attachment. The narration is voiced by Toshiyuki Hosokawa in the original Japanese-language version and by Leonard Nimoy in the English-language version and the face of Seaman is actually that of the game's producer, Yoot Saito.[1]

A limited edition game titled Christmas Seaman was released in Japan on December 16, 1999 alongside a translucent, red Dreamcast.[2] In 2001, Seaman was re-released in Japan for the PlayStation 2 as Seaman: Kindan no Pet - Gaze Hakushi no Jikken Shima (シーマン~禁断のペット~ガゼー博士の実験島), the first edition of which came with a microphone.

3. RemixDeluxe
    This message by RemixDeluxe has been removed from public view by Veho, Aug 4, 2015, Reason: Stop it.
    Aug 4, 2015
  4. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    What, your hero AVGN didn't tell you?
    One is American and one is Japanese. Gamefaqs derped as usual. It's the same game.

If you want another weird game that uses a microphone I'd suggest Odama.

VinsCool and WiiCube_2013 like this.
  5. Hells Malice
    This message by Hells Malice has been removed from public view by Veho, Aug 4, 2015, Reason: Stop it.
    Aug 4, 2015
  6. RevPokemon
    This message by RevPokemon has been removed from public view by Veho, Aug 4, 2015, Reason: Stop it.
    Aug 4, 2015
  7. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Semi-OT:

That AVGN review was kind of ass as he once again went with his toilet humour expecting the viewers to find it "funny", and I assume some might've laughed at it but I've grew tired of this humour which is just as bad as the Sandler "jokes". His sideburns don't help much either, too.

But still, it was an OK review.

8. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    If you still want another review check out the metal Jesus one, he did alot better than avgn imo

VinsCool likes this.
  9. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    You didnt bother to look at the two games did you?

I'll go check that out, hopefully with a more clear and possibly detailed answer.

10. Hells Malice
    This message by Hells Malice has been removed from public view by Veho, Aug 4, 2015, Reason: Stop it.
    Aug 4, 2015
  11. RemixDeluxe
    This message by RemixDeluxe has been removed from public view by Veho, Aug 4, 2015, Reason: Stop it.
    Aug 4, 2015
  12. omgpwn666

omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

Jun 14, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    RemixDeluxe, Hells Malice original post mentions how they're both the same game.

"Seaman (シーマン Shīman?) is a virtual pet video game for the Sega Dreamcast. It is one of the few Dreamcast games to take advantage of the microphone attachment. The narration is voiced by Toshiyuki Hosokawa in the original Japanese-language version and by Leonard Nimoy in the English-language version and the face of Seaman is actually that of the game's producer, Yoot Saito.[1]

A limited edition game titled Christmas Seaman was released in Japan on December 16, 1999 alongside a translucent, red Dreamcast.[2] In 2001, Seaman was re-released in Japan for the PlayStation 2 as Seaman: Kindan no Pet - Gaze Hakushi no Jikken Shima (シーマン~禁断のペット~ガゼー博士の実験島), the first edition of which came with a microphone."

I think the real question is, what is Christmas Seaman?

13. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Your still just repeating whats been said on wikipedia. I'm capable of reading what is on there, I read the page before making a topic here. It does not at all tell you any differences between the two. Everyone please stop copy pasting whats on wikipedia and use your own words from possible other sources.

About Christmas Seaman, all that is from what I gathered is a playable demo before the full game released a year later. Sega has printed demos of games for the Saturn and Dreamcast, I have a few of these demo disks for my Saturn and Dreamcast. I even got one for Nights into Dreams called Christmas Nights Into Dreams which was just a short demo of the full game.

14. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Ports and re-releases usually have some extra content, can anyone confirm that there are no differences between the original and the port?

15. RemixDeluxe
    OP

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Thats exactly what I wanted to know. I'm not sure why this went over everyone's head.

16. omgpwn666

omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

Jun 14, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    I'm not educated on the differences between game changes from region to region. I had no idea that was a thing, except on a select few games in terms of censorship. So, I'm sorry I missed your actual question.

17. LittleFlame

LittleFlame Thinks he's better than all of you

Jan 30, 2015
    Netherlands
    That one place
    Look at the game release dates

18. Hells Malice
    This message by Hells Malice has been removed from public view by Veho, Aug 15, 2015, Reason: Stop it.
    Aug 5, 2015
  19. RemixDeluxe
    This message by RemixDeluxe has been removed from public view by Veho, Aug 15, 2015, Reason: Stop it.
    Aug 5, 2015
  20. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    General tweaks. There doesn't appear to be English documentation on it, but try translating what Sega says.
    http://sega.jp/dc/000812/

21. Vipera
    This message by Vipera has been removed from public view by Veho, Aug 15, 2015, Reason: Stop it.
    Aug 15, 2015
  22. RemixDeluxe
    This message by RemixDeluxe has been removed from public view by Veho, Aug 15, 2015, Reason: Stop it.
    Aug 15, 2015
  23. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Stop bickering.

24. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    For better or worse, I'm not surprised. Little to discuss about this with how few Japanese speakers we have.