what are the cons and pros of unlinking nands?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by aenoch, Mar 18, 2015.

1. aenoch
    OP

aenoch GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 23, 2015
    United States
    Ludington, Michigan
    Im thinking about doing this. So i can. Use a different theme on each nand. Have no wifi set up on sysnand. And make it so i dont have to unwrap. Yoytube every time etc.

What are the pros and cons of doing this. Will. Doing this make me lose my saves on . Rom and retail ?

What is the point in doing this?

2. Inflameslol

Inflameslol Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2015
    Idk how it affects current savefiles exactly on used systems (I think carts will be fine as its savefiles arent on the sd) as I did this when I first got my gateway and barely had touched the n3ds. But I dont think there is any cons to unlink them..only pros

If you have eshop content Im pretty sure you'll lose the save & content however you can redownload them from the eshop

3. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    Retail games keep their saves on the cart.

Do you have any downloaded content on the sysnand? eShop games, custom themes?

Is your Miiverse account set up on the sysnand?

4. aenoch
    OP

Feb 23, 2015
    United States
    Ludington, Michigan
    Nope ive had my. Gateway. For a week or two and my. O3dsxl (9.0) WILE I WAS WAITING FOR MY. Gateway to come in tje mail all i did was play retail carts since i couldnt access the eshop. So i have saves on. Retail like pokemon x and mario 3d land and i know have saves using .3ds. I grabed a fee cia games the other day but havent installed them yet

And im not sure about miiverse i have a mii. I think but i dont think. Ive used miiverse. I dont even remember if i set up an account for eshop. I think i did

5. Fatalanus

Fatalanus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 4, 2015
    Romania
    Hum, this is an interesting thread.
    As I have retails games (like pokemon), when I'll be able to use my gateway for the first time and install emunand, I'll loose my saves?

Thank you for this thread. :)

aenoch likes this.
  6. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    If you didn't link your NNID to sysnand. You can just format sysnand and that will unlink it from emunand. You should probably rename the Nintendo 3DS folder before doing the format as it might remove the content linked to your emunand since both end up sharing the same data folder. Once sysnand is formatted it will generate a new folder that's unique to it and it will no longer interfere with emunand.

Note that if you did link your NNID you'll either have to downgrade to 4.x and format or if on a n3DS/2DS, decrypt the fat16 partition of sysnand and delete the contents of the data folder and the movable.sed file. This is effectively the same as doing a system format.

Rizzorules likes this.
  7. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

Sep 17, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Really? I thought the pokemon games were some of the only games that did this.

8. CrazySpaniard

CrazySpaniard Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2008
    Canada
    so if you unlink nands your miiverse data gets erased? is there a way to back it up?

9. aenoch
    OP

Feb 23, 2015
    United States
    Ludington, Michigan
    Actualy. I own pokemon x. And when i started using gateway. I checked my pokemon cart in classic mode and my save was still there. Im pretty sure if you played the game below firmware 6.0. Ypur save will be corrupted

I know mario land 3d saves to tje cart. I got the game used and some one elses save was on it

10. Fatalanus

Jan 4, 2015
    Romania
    My pokemon X save is under 9.2 firmware, so it should be ok when I install emunand for your point of view? :)

For Monster Hunter I'm owned as it saves on SD I guess.

11. aenoch
    OP

Feb 23, 2015
    United States
    Ludington, Michigan
    Do they auto link ? If not then. Then i dont even now how to link them. Im pretty sure they are linked because if i change the theme in one it changes in the other as well as wifi

12. Kirbs

Kirbs GBAtemp Fan

Jan 12, 2015
    United States
    If you unlink your nands, you won't have to unwrap the cias everytime you start emunand. Also, you can have different internet settings in each nand to avoid accidentally updating.

Margen67 likes this.
  13. aenoch
    OP

Feb 23, 2015
    United States
    Ludington, Michigan
    You should be fine with pokemon my o3dsxl. Is on 9.0. Which is what firmware i started pokemon on and. My save still works

14. aCot+

aCot+ Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2014
    Bhutan
    I never had the unwrap bug on my linked nands on my old 3DS. Don't have CN yet so I can't test it on my N3DS.

15. aenoch
    OP

Feb 23, 2015
    United States
    Ludington, Michigan
    The only. Thing iv downloaded. From eshop. Is youtube. Which has to be unwraped every time. Atleast on my o3dsxl

16. Kracken

Kracken GBAtemp Regular

Jan 12, 2015
    United States

I transferred my MH4U save from my cart with the GW menu. Pretty sure it saves there.

17. Fatalanus

Jan 4, 2015
    Romania
    oh, so I'll be able to keep my save from MH4U too? :)
    Nice!! :)

18. Schizoanalysis

Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Jun 23, 2009

What's. With. The punctuation?

Maximilious and Lucifer666 like this.
  19. aCot+

aCot+ Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2014
    Bhutan
    He's probably posting from a phone and hasn't turned off that 'press space to insert period' nonsense.

20. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You probably won't be able to decrypt emuNAND and dump your own eShop games if you unlink the NANDs. This is a known problem with CTR Multi Decryptor but there is no information as to whether the same problem exists with rxTools, it likely does though.
    Additionally, you won't have any of your legit eShop stuff on sysNAND anymore and you'll have to boot into emuNAND even when you just want to play legit eShop purchases.
    Other than that, there are no notable disadvantages so if those don't bother you then go ahead and unlink.

You can already have different internet settings, by just filling up the internet connections on the sysNAND with fake ones it won't transfer over settings from emuNAND.