Hacking What are the best settings for a PAL Wii set to PAL60 connected via RG

Starfire12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can get PAL backups working just fine, but run into trouble with more than half of the NTSC backups i tried. Which is particulary annoying given how many PAL Wii owners have praised the BLs regionfree capabilities, so i know they SHOULD work. Given that all my PAL backups run and some NTSC do as well i don't think i am doing anything wrong with the way i burn the DVSs. Therefore i think i simply use the wrong settings.

So some info to help you guys help me isolate where i go wrong:
Running as i said a PAL Wii set to PAL60 in the system config. Console connnected via RGB cable. Several NTSC games like HM - ToT, Super Swing Golf and others still just go greenscreen and freeze when trying to start them via the BackupLoader Gamma. In this one i always use the options menu to change screen from "default" to "Force PAL60" leaving other options as they were.

So is there any settings in the BackupLauncher i should set to something else to get them to run? PAL50? NTSC? Leave on default? (My TV can display both PAL and NTSC) or change any of the other options (been wondering in particular if i should change "region" from it's default) from their default to something else for better compatibility?

As i said these are games that have been said to work by other PAL users and burned on the same media with the same methods as my backups that do work, so i cannot think of any other causes of the problem, but wrong settings.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Im not ignoring this since u asked me in PM , but i have a pal wii and all my games are pal , so im of little help with it im afriad - loads more should be able to sort you out on it though

Beatchu

Trophies
XP
Country
ERM My PAL wii works great with NTSC backups without forcing anything. If possible try using a scart cable?

Starfire12

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Beatchu said:
ERM My PAL wii works great with NTSC backups without forcing anything. If possible try using a scart cable?
Well the cable wont make a difference if the game freezes instead of running at all.
And as i said some work. Godfather BE works like a charm as long as i remember to set it to ForcePAL60 instead of leaving it at default. Other NTSC ones just freeze though without even giving a bad picture.

KIT786

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you leave all options as defualt (ForcePAL60, PAL50 and NTSC all set to NO), do the games run then? AS that is the case with me but thye are tinted in red. If i try and forcePAL60 or 50 then I get the green screen like you.

The reason for this is beacuse the Wii is outputting in RGB mode, but NTSC-U games are not programmed to run in RGB mode. If you use any a composite cable(the one that comes standard with the wii), and not your RGB cable then the games will run (with all options set as No), and full color (no tint of red). Worth giving that a try.

If anyone knows how to get it working using an RGB cable, your help would be much appriciated!!

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
You need to leave the options as default (or ForceNTSC) for games to run - some games will run with videomode forced to PAL but the majority will crash at a green screen.

The problem for you is with an RGB cable NTSC games display in red.

You have the option of using component or composite cables to get around this.

Composite obviously isn't worth bothering with - it's so ugly I find it better to wait for a PAL release.

Component requires a TV that accepts component, and still isn't as nice as pure RGB IMO (the difference is only small though).

Some people say it's because when in NTSC mode the wii is outputting S-Video over the scart cable. I've no idea if this is true, if so you could put it in a s-vid capable scart socket and try - it will certainly be a little better than composite but nowhere near as good as RGB.

Some groups have done patches - look at No More Heroes : it has been converted to PAL videomode and works on PAL wiis at PAL60 fine with RGB: No.More.Heroes.UNCUT.MULTi4.USA.PALFIXED.WII-IND

Thats the only palfix I'm aware of though. Shows how lame the wii scene is really though, most groups now being made up of webwares kiddies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: