Homebrew what are the advantages of boot9strap vs a9lh??

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
It should only take 10 minutes. If you think that's a lot of work, I guess you weren't around in the beginning of A9LH when it took like 8 hours, and we had to compile the payload ourselves, and there was a 30% chance of bricking at every step, and it was difficult enough that there was a LOT of user error that would lead to bricks as well as just from the tools themselves :-)
That was fun! Remember finishing it at 2AM but it was so worth it!

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
It should only take 10 minutes. If you think that's a lot of work, I guess you weren't around in the beginning of A9LH when it took like 8 hours, and we had to compile the payload ourselves, and there was a 30% chance of bricking at every step, and it was difficult enough that there was a LOT of user error that would lead to bricks as well as just from the tools themselves :-)

*shudders* Thats why I just want to leave it well alone. Remember too many palpitations from the first time round.

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A9LH:
old
can't dump bootroms
8 hours to install
as dead as menuhax

B9S:
Still supported
Dumps bootroms by just holding buttons while booting
Maybe 2 minutes to install at most
Very easy to upgrade to from A9LH with SafeBoot9StrapInstaller for A9LH/Luma (most steps on https://3ds.hacks.guide/a9lh-to-b9s are copying files over)
99.9% brick free (and those few bricks were MCU bricks, which are almost impossible to get now)
Doesn't corrupt the secret sector like A9LH does (so attempting to use Gateway on sysnand just removes CFW instead of bricking)

tl;dr compared to A9LH, B9S is easier to install, safer, and still supported.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know a9lh is outdated for who knows why and I wonder: what are the advantages of boot9strap over a9lh.. what benifits can I get out of boot9strap besides being updated on luma??
not a lot of new things other than a lot less crashes and new luma features

SynnFrost

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*shudders* Thats why I just want to leave it well alone. Remember too many palpitations from the first time round.

I did it in March of last year and it took me about three hours. Most of that was checking my SD card for errors. I was nervewracking, especially when I was downgrading.

To compare, I put b9s on my nephew's 3ds about a month ago and it took 5 minutes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled