What are some of the most common SNES games in North America?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,584
  • Replies 7
D

Deleted User

OP
Me and my Dad are planning on cleaning up our SNES, reversing the yellowing and cutting off those two bits of plastic that prevent you from playing Super Famicon games, but we want to test it first, since it's been lying around in our basement since, um, I'll just say "a long time" because I don't even really know. We're planning on first testing power, then if the cartridge reader works, and then if the controllers work, and then cleaning it up etc,. What are some of the most common and cheapest SNES games in North America? In the city we live in, there aren't really any used game stores, (at least not that we know of) so we plan on buying them off of eBay, Amazon or Kijiji.

D

Deleted User

OP
I'd be shocked if anything was more common than Super Mario World, since it was a pack in for a lot (most?) of the systems.

Huh, I should've thought of that one. I only know one person in real life who owns a SNES + SMW so I guess that may have been why.

D

Deleted User

OP
I think I got Star Fox for like $11 on ebay.
Oh and just about any Japanese SNES game is really cheap on ebay since Japanese ebay sellers treat old games as old games. I got the DBZ Chou Butouden trilogy for $11

Reactions: Deleted User

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
SNES consoles are like a tank - they usually work even if stored for many years in the worst conditions possible (maybe except under seawater).

The worst that can happen is that the contacts inside the cartridge connector got so filled with gunk that they won't read anything and you'll get a black screen.

The solution to that is just to jam and eject the cartridge until it starts working again ;)

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SNES consoles are like a tank - they usually work even if stored for many years in the worst conditions possible (maybe except under seawater).

The worst that can happen is that the contacts inside the cartridge connector got so filled with gunk that they won't read anything and you'll get a black screen.

The solution to that is just to jam and eject the cartridge until it starts working again ;)

Actually, although they were built really wll (for the time) there are several known issues with SNES units:

Most common: blown main fuse - happens when someone tries to yank a cartridge with the power on, can also happen if power cord is pulled from back of machine without switching off.

Fairly common (in older machines, particularly): capacitor degradation, the electrolytic caps on older electronics don't age well, some consoles are worse than others (PC Engine, I'm looking at you), but SNES are definitely affected.

Less common:Faulty RAM is a known issue with SNES machines, and can result in corrupted graphics, or worse, no graphics, game freezes etc. Thw power jack on the back can also break, and is a proprietary design, which makes replacement less easy.

All these issues are repairable, I've done quite a few main fuses (easy), and the parts are generally cheap. If the console was looked after, and has been stored in a dry place, it is less likely to suffer from any of the above.

One last thing - be careful when disassembling to retrobrite the casing, the main plastics are generally quite brittle after 20+ years.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O i3? o........................................k
    Both of mine are i5's lol
    All right! Who stole my right sock? :angry:
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    At least someone other than myself thought it was funny :rofl:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    DNDBD (DND×DBD) IS A REAL THING
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt have school today
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz it's some kind of holiday related to the town I live in
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Am I [R WORD]?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it