OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I bought a PlayStation 2 recently that is coming in the mail. However, I don't know where to start in terms of homebrew, and I only know of a few games I want to play. Can anyone recommend some good homebrew and/or games?

Deleted member 177877

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if u dl FMCB noobie package, that's all the homebrew you'll ever need XD The PS2 doesn't offer much in terms of homebrew (but the few that is there is pretty useful, like SMS)

as for games, you're going to have to go more specific. What kind of games do you like? Action, fighting, RPG, etc

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
justinefremlouw said:
if u dl FMCB noobie package, that's all the homebrew you'll ever need XD The PS2 doesn't offer much in terms of homebrew (but the few that is there is pretty useful, like SMS)

as for games, you're going to have to go more specific. What kind of games do you like? Action, fighting, RPG, etc
Pretty much anything, although I'm not to fond of strategy and turn-based RPGs. However, if the game is really good, recommend it anyway.

DeltaBladeX

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Good games? Well, hope you don't mind a big list. I have played quite a bit.

Ape Escape series
Arc: Twilight of the Spirits
Area 51
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II
Beyond Good & Evil
Burnout 3: Takedown / Burnout Revenge
Canis Canem Edit (PAL) / Bully (US)
Champions of Norrath
Dark Cloud and Dark Chronicle (PAL and JP) / Dark Cloud 2 (US)
Deus Ex
Devil Kings
Devil May Cry series
Dirge of Cerberus - Final Fantasy VII
Disgaea series
Downhill Domination
Dragon Quest - The Journey of the Cursed King
Final Fantasy series
Freak Out
Freedom Fighters
Garou: Mark of the Wolves (JP only)
Genji
Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex
Ghosthunter
Gitaroo Man
Global Defense Force (PAL and JP only)
God Hand
God of War series
Grand Theft Auto series
GrimGrimoire
Guilty Gear X2 Accent Core Plus
Half-Life
Haunting Ground
Ico
Jak series
Kingdom Hearts series
Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil
Makai Kingdom
Mercenaries
Metal Gear Solid 2 series (get Substance / Subsistence)
Metal Slug Anthology
Midnight Club II / Midnight Club 3 DUB Edition Remix
Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks
Obscure
Odin Sphere
Okami
Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
Phantom Brave
Prince of Persia series
Project: Snowblind
Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy
Ratchet & Clank series
Red Faction
Red Faction series
Resident Evil series
Rez
Rogue Galaxy
R-Type Final
Rumble Roses (what... its good)
Samurai Warriors 2
Second Sight
Shadow Hearts series
Shadow of the Colossus
Shinobi
Shinobido: Way of the Ninja (PAL / JP only)
Shin Megami Tensei series (Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, Persona)
Silent Hill series
Sky Odyssey
Sly series
Sonic Gems Collection (PAL / JP only)
Sonic Mega Collection Plus
Soulcalibur series
Soul Nomad & the World Eaters
Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
Steambot Chronicles
Suikoden series
Tekken 5
Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven
The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
The King of Fighters XI
The Punisher
The Red Star
The Suffering series
TimeSplitters series
Tokobot Plus
Tony Hawk series
Total Overdose
Transformers (2004)
Urban Chaos: Riot Responce
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution
Warriors Orochi
Way of the Samurai series
We Love Katamari
Wild Arms series
Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land
World War Zero - Ironstorm (PAL only)
Yakuza series
Ys - The Ark of Napishtim
Zone of the Enders series

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you like RPG, you should try Dragon Quest 8
biggrin.gif

Deleted member 177877

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
out of that huge list, I will recommend Star Ocean and Ys...
(There is no Dragon Age 8...perhaps he is referring to Dragon Quest VIII...)

Some of my favorites aside from those are:
Radiata Stories
Persona 3 FES
Persona 4
FFX
FFXII
.Hack Series
Wild Arms Series
Xenosaga Series
Shining Force EXA

Other games I like to play for the fun of it:
The sims series (1, 2, busting out, etc)
Burnout: Takedown
GTA: San Andreas

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
I also say go for Persona 3 & 4. Also try Digital Devil Saga 1&2 from the SMT series.
Both are basically Shin Megami Tensei or in short SMT. Both however have different storyline but both involves having those cool monster do the job for you
smile.gif

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PS2 homebrew is kinda like a proof-of-concept for emulators. Yes they work, but you'll find that other consoles have emulators that run better. This is not to say that PS2 emulators are bad, its just that they aren't going to give you the same quality of gaming experience as on a PC like an xbox or even a Wii would.

I'm not sure why the first game that sprang to mind for modded PS2 was Final Fantasy 7. It will run if you install a mod that allows you to run PSX games. Most people prefer to play FF7 on a PSP though because it is portable.

So as far as PS2 stuff goes, I have an extensive library of games but I like to throw in some Crisis Zone or other Time Crisis games since I have mine plugged into a 27" CRT and I own a couple guncon2 controllers. PS2 had some of the best light gun games ever made on it.

PS2 also has Motorstorm: Arctic Edge. Ico is worth checking out. I liked the graphics in Ico. Also there was a huge fan base for Devil May Cry games on the PS2.

I just wish I had more to recommend.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
amptor said:
PS2 homebrew is kinda like a proof-of-concept for emulators. Yes they work, but you'll find that other consoles have emulators that run better. This is not to say that PS2 emulators are bad, its just that they aren't going to give you the same quality of gaming experience as on a PC like an xbox or even a Wii would.

I'm not sure why the first game that sprang to mind for modded PS2 was Final Fantasy 7. It will run if you install a mod that allows you to run PSX games. Most people prefer to play FF7 on a PSP though because it is portable.

So as far as PS2 stuff goes, I have an extensive library of games but I like to throw in some Crisis Zone or other Time Crisis games since I have mine plugged into a 27" CRT and I own a couple guncon2 controllers. PS2 had some of the best light gun games ever made on it.

PS2 also has Motorstorm: Arctic Edge. Ico is worth checking out. I liked the graphics in Ico. Also there was a huge fan base for Devil May Cry games on the PS2.

Homebrew part is pretty much that, the PS2 homebrew scene never really took off, so most emus are not really complete.

My list:
All SMT Games.
Shadow of the Colueses.
ICO.
All Sly Cooper Games.
FF X-2.
Bully.
Devil May Cry 1 and 3 (2 was kinda of bad.)
God of War 1 and 2.

DeltaBladeX

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Happy I could help. My 333 PS2 games are useful sometimes at least.

Actually, 332 now. Sending FFX International to a friend in the US. Had it for several years and beaten a few times already anyway.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Indeed. One time I made the mistake of telling the author of the Genesis emulator that it wasn't that good and he almost discontinued the entire project just because of what I said. So I had to striaghten that out and eventually what do you know, he kept updating it. Phew.. I mean not that I needed him to continue it for myself, but I was thinking about all the other hobbyists when I tried to clean up my message that I conveyed to him in chat. Luckily that worked out well. I still continued using Genesis emulator on another system. Probably PC or something.

Oh yeah both God of War 1 and 2 were great games. This is one franchise where they didn't mess anything up by coming out with a second one.

And DMC2, I think I have that game factory sealed still in one of my desk drawers.

I should take a look at what games I could recommend but none will be RPG. I haven't been into RPGs since the 90s. I think a safe bet would be Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 on this system. I can't figure out why those are so appealing but my friend's son used to sit at home all day and play Kingdom Hearts and claimed it to be very addictive.

KirbyBoy said:
amptor said:

Homebrew part is pretty much that, the PS2 homebrew scene never really took off, so most emus are not really complete.

My list:
All SMT Games.
Shadow of the Colueses.
ICO.
All Sly Cooper Games.
FF X-2.
Bully.
Devil May Cry 1 and 3 (2 was kinda of bad.)
God of War 1 and 2.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh...all the games I want to recommend have been said, well, excluding the Dragon Ball Z Budokai series, but that's mostly fun for fans of the series.

So...Robot Alchemic Drive is pretty fun.

Also, Persona 4 (My favorite RPG) and Persona 3 FES, though they've already been said. Phantom Brave has also been said too, but it's my favorite SRPG, so I recommend it. Also, Shadow of the Colossus, I'm just restating these as they are notable.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For action RPGs it's hard to beat the three Kingdom Hearts games (Re:chain of memories is a remake of the GBA game) and the two God of War games.

I would also recommend trying out both Persona 3 FES and Persona 4. Same series but very different games as far as art style, and to a degree playstyle.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
jesterscourt said:
I would also recommend trying out both Persona 3 FES and Persona 4. Same series but very different games as far as art style, and to a degree playstyle.

And P3 FES is ace, whilst P4 is Scooby Doo (and not so ace).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Mondooooo, its 3:51 pm here