Hacking Western Digital Passport or Seagate Freeagent Go?

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i have a freeagent go, works fine, never had a problem with it, and reviews have been favourable. dunno about the my passport, wd are reliable for oem drives - i've had 3 mybooks and they all failed, had to break them open and stick them in a new enclosure.

but i digress, really you can't go wrong with either one. i don't know if spindown has been fixed with 13a, if it has then it's down to personal preference I would say and you can't go wrong with either. if 13a does not fix the issue of spindown then grab the freeagent has the my passwport has to be cracked opened and connected internally to the pc to fix the spin down issue.

Tux'

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sekhu said:
i have a freeagent go, works fine, never had a problem with it, and reviews have been favourable. dunno about the my passport, wd are reliable for oem drives - i've had 3 mybooks and they all failed, had to break them open and stick them in a new enclosure.

but i digress, really you can't go wrong with either one. i don't know if spindown has been fixed with 13a, if it has then it's down to personal preference I would say and you can't go wrong with either. if 13a does not fix the issue of spindown then grab the freeagent has the my passwport has to be cracked opened and connected internally to the pc to fix the spin down issue.

From some comments people say the spindown issue was fixed with 13a. It's your own choice I guess, it's just what you prefer.

donowprod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have both a 500 gb seagate freeagent go and a 500 gb my passport elite.
I prefer the WD elite over the seagate go for my wii because I have not had any issues with it unlike the seagate.
The 500 gb seagate freeagent go will sometimes not be recognized by the wii when booting up which would require a restart then work fine for a while.
The Seagate would not launch ghostbusters via any usb loader no matter what I tried. This drove me nuts.
For me the 500 GB WD my passport elite has worked flawless without a hickup and I never experienced a spindown issue using cios rev 10, 12, or 13a.
I did both the Mario Kart test as well as the wii fit test.
I have to admit I dont play games for 5 hours at a time because I have better ways to spend my time.
Im not sure about the essential vs the elite, but I would stick with the elite because it just works.

I would go with the WD Elite before the WD essentials or the Seagate Freeagent Go.

Im gonna stick the 500 GB seagate drive in my macbook, so it all works out in the end.

This is just my experience. To each is own.

Dan_Aykroyd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do you recommended to get a Passport with its own supply power, instead of the thin, great looking one that gets the juice from the USB? Is it because of the spindown issue (fixed in cIOS >= 13)?

Finishoff

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My 1 TB Seagate Freeagent Extreme died, sent it in RMA. Haven't used a Western Digital hard drive before but the Seagate has a 5 year warranty on them.

Tranquil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems more people are recommending the WD Passport, even though there are apparently spindown issues. Is it confirmed that the latest rev fixes this and now it's not a problem?

Otherwise would I be safer with a Freeagent Go?

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I still need to buy a new HDD too. The WD mybook essential edition does seem to be a good choice.
But I heard some reports about an incompatible version 2 from that HDD. It looks exactly the same and there is no way to tell the difference from the outside and the packaging. Is that true?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1