Western Digital Passport or Seagate Freeagent Go?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Tranquil, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Tranquil
    OP

Member Tranquil GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Whichever one I get will be the 500gb model

I've seen mixed results around with both drives. I need one really soon and I have no idea which is better. I will also be using it for my computer files as well, but primarily for the Wii.

2. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    For experience I've never had a WD drive fail on me. The one in my old dell has been running constantly for 6 years and still going strong.

3. vettacossx

Member vettacossx Wii Theme Team Founder

Ireland
    WESTERN DIGITAL FOR GOD SAKES dont be retarded like me and buy a seagate and a maxtor before you realize Western Digital My Books

SIMPLY PWN the rest for your wii WBFS drive...

But short of learning from an experienced hackers mistakes JUST REMEMBER GET ONE WITH ITS OWN POWER SUPPLY!

4. wiiNinja

Member wiiNinja GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The Western Digital is my personal preference. But I've done this for 7 people in the last 2 weeks and both WD and Seagate work fine. One thing I found is that WD does not have a utility to disable the spindown feature, while Seagate does. But I've been using my WD drive for several months now without having to use such a utility.

Take your pick. Seagate may be a little less expensive.

5. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    i use my western digital 320gb passport to watch movies using mpayer, play roms with snes9x, and so forth. but it can't hold more than a 4gb solid file. so i guess it cant be used by usb loaders?

6. djricekcn

Member djricekcn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

That's because you're on FAT32 format

7. Tux'

Member Tux' GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I got a question. Would a WesternDigital My Passport 500 GB be good or should I go with SeaGate?

8. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    Western digital, believe me.
    It is EPIN.

9. Tux'

Canada
    Well I'm looking online and I see WD Passport and WD My Passport. They are two different ones, one is 250 and one is 500 GB. Which one should I get?

10. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    In before hdhacker

Actually though, he has a good idea. Seagate drives never have sleep issues, and apparently they're perfectly compatible with no need for power cycling or replugging.

Personally, I vote for a Western Digital My Book Essential. It's physically larger and needs a power adapter, but my 500GB one has been flawless for me so far, no sleep problems, good performance, cheap, works right out of the box.

11. imapterodactyl

Member imapterodactyl GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If you plan on sticking with rev12 or below, then the Seagate is the way to go, as the Western Digital will spin down after 10 or 20 minutes not being accessed. This is taken care of as of rev13 though, so it's now a non-issue. I work with 2 Western Digitals (a Passport and a MyBook), and neither of them have a problem with the Wiimote resyncing with Ghostbusters. I've also fought with a Seagate FreeAgent for hours trying to get Ghostbusters up and running, with no luck at all. Same settings as the WDs (fat32 partition, wbfs partition, both primary), same ISO, installed the same way (wbfs manager), running on the same Wii with the same loaders. Wiimote desyncs at safety warning screen, and never resyncs. I think the Seagate is a little slower, causing this problem. Might be something to take into consideration when making your decision. The Seagate looks nicer though, with it's cool led-lit top.

My vote is WD. Either the Passport or MyBook, depending how much space you want. I prefer my 1GB MyBook, as I can use the 1st partition for all my media, ScummVM games, and roms.

12. Tux'

Canada
    Going through store sites thos good?. Will it have sleep problems or no?

13. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    That is the 640GB version of the 500GB drive I have. Likely they use identical USB interfaces, which is usually the real key component for this application. You will probably be happy with it. The 500GB model can be found for less than $90 though... You can probably find that 640GB one cheaper.

Here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F3YIMC

14. imapterodactyl

United States
    Agreed. Keep in mind though, as I said in my previous post (above), as of rev13, there are no longer spindown issues since the drive is periodically accessed.

Best setup in my opinion: 1TB MyBook with 400GB for Fat32 (media, roms, etc), 400GB WBFS, and 200GB for NTFS for videos over 4GB, and for WBFS Manager to extract to ISO for any games you may want to burn, etc.... remember, FAT32 is max 4GB. Oh, and to extract your ISOs to initially before copying to WBFS. I just have my NTFS partition permanently set up as the temp directory in WBFS Manager.

And to top it all off, you can get it for under $100!

15. imapterodactyl

United States
    If using rev 13a (and almost positively rev 14+ when released), then no spindown problems. But don't buy it for that price. I paid less than that for a 1TB at Wal-Mart.

16. Tranquil
    OP

Member Tranquil GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Urgh, topic is kinda derailing. I just want to know which one would be better in the long run out of the Passport and the Freeagent Go. Also does anyone know anything about the read speeds for each one and which one consumes more power, RPM, etc.? I really just want to pick the best one out of those two. I'm not interested in getting a My Book or anything else.

17. Tux'

Canada

Ah, but at walmart I couldn't find any [​IMG] and I don't want to order online because I have yet to obtain a credit card, and this is CHEAPER than the 500 GB My passport!! Anyways back to topic, sorry about that tranquil, I kinda needed help and didn't want to start a similar thread [​IMG]. Anyways, since everyone is saying WD, go for the WD

18. Eagle687

Newcomer Eagle687 Advanced Member

United States
    MY voice would go to Freeagent as I have one working good and a firend has a WD that is very capricious - but hey, it could just be broken or something.

19. ravihpa

Member ravihpa GBAtemp Advanced Fan

India
    I am not sure how much difference a 500 gb FreeAgent Go would make, but I have a 320 Gb FreeAgent Go (2.5" USB powered) working PERFECTLY FINE on my Wii [​IMG] I have kept a 200 gb partition for my portable needs and the rest of the 100 Gb formatted to WBFS. Works flawlessly [​IMG]

Also, I've set the "idle time" to "Never" using the Seagate Manager thereby eliminating the spindown issues (as suggested in another thread) [​IMG] whereas in WD, I read that you had to manually tear it apart and do something to the hardware to stop it from spinning down. Hence, I went with Seagate [​IMG] Also, 5 years warranty is the icing on the cake [​IMG]

20. Tux'

Canada
    Ravihpa, rev13 fixed the spindown issue, no longer a problem.