Western Digital Elements 500GB only 69.99, Wii compatible?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Calavera88, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Calavera88
    OP

Calavera88 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 20, 2010
    United States
    Newegg has Western Digital Elements 500GB drives for only 69.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...6-466-_-Product

Does anybody know if it is compatible with the WII? I see on the compatibility list it has a "WD Elements 500GB (WD5000E035)" marked as fully compatible. This however is a WDBAAU5000EBK-NESN. I would think it would be compatible, but I thought I'd ask here first to see if anybody has used this drive with the WII or knows if it works before I drop $70 for it. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. capt.fruitcake

capt.fruitcake Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2006
    Netherlands
    Xanadu
    jip have 16 clients using 'em

all are happy with em

3. Calavera88
    OP

Calavera88 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 20, 2010
    United States
    Thanks a lot capt.fruitcake, I was almost about to buy a "Seagate FreeAgent Go 320 GB" for $74.00. Glad to hear the WD drive works, more GBs for less $. Can't complain there!

Maybe somebody should add it to the Wii USB Devices Compatibility List so people will know. Thanks again for the info.

4. afnuke

afnuke GBAtemp Regular

Mar 27, 2009
    United States
    Tornado Alley
    we need someone that can edit the compatibility list, I have a couple drives that work great and were not on the list, but to edit the list you have to know what you are doing....its not very user friendly. I suspect thats why more drives arent on there and its not up to date.

5. Tonitonichopchop

Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 9, 2009
    United States
    Maybe someone with time could make a list on gbatemp? Someone who won't abandon it.

6. geegee

geegee GBAtemp Regular

Jul 8, 2007
    United States
    I have the 1tb version; it was $59.99 on black Friday. I have it formatted to FAT and it works great for USB loaders and homebrew. Also it automatically turns on/off with the Wii which is nice.