Gaming Well got a new computer...

Neku_Sakuraba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I got a new computer but being 17 my parents still have authority over me.
So the Make 2 accounts, mine and theirs. The OS is windows 7. They have parental controls on but they turned of UAC.
So I tried to install Zune software but keeps on saying "You must have administrative powers". Which leads to the questions...

1.Can I install apps without removing parental controls?
2.Can I install apps without changing my account type (which is not Admin obviously)?
3.If not do you have a solution that my parents can still monitor me but I still install app?

Thank You In advanced!
Please reply soon!

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know of any way to get around it because I used to have the same sort of problem when I was a little boy.
I did happen to find this on google, I'm not sure if it works though.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...20193628AACSzNX

Edit: I just remembered, you can do a complete system recovery and revery your computer to how it was when you bought it. When you turn on your computer, press f11 (I think) and you'll be in the system recovery menu. Before you do it, make sure you have backups of what you want to keep.

Neku_Sakuraba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
arpeejajo said:
I don't know of any way to get around it because I used to have the same sort of problem when I was a little boy.
I did happen to find this on google, I'm not sure if it works though.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...20193628AACSzNX

Edit: I just remembered, you can do a complete system recovery and revery your computer to how it was when you bought it. When you turn on your computer, press f11 (I think) and you'll be in the system recovery menu. Before you do it, make sure you have backups of what you want to keep.

I see what the this yahoo answers page says but it really doesn't help but thanks!

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Trophies
XP
Country
Try backing up any important files you have then get on to your parents Or if there is another account called administrator go on that. If they have a password use ophcrack to crack it. First try to edit you user to have admin rights or delete your old account and make a new one with admin rights.
P.S. Make sure you right clicked and ran as admin.
I can't believe that your parents didn't give you admin rights. I've been threatened to have them taken off but it's never happened.

Neku_Sakuraba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btyre said:
Try backing up any important files you have then get on to your parents Or if there is another account called administrator go on that. If they have a password use ophcrack to crack it. First try to edit you user to have admin rights or delete your old account and make a new one with admin rights.
P.S. Make sure you right clicked and ran as admin.
I can't believe that your parents didn't give you admin rights. I've been threatened to have them taken off but it's never happened.
I'll try it out. Thanks a bunch!

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thank god for having my own PC from the age of 13
tongue.gif
. Why not ask ur folks to give you admin rights? I mean they can still monitor everything you do, and hell if you disable the tracking software I'm sure it sais that somewhere: Turn it to your advantage and say that this way they can give you more responsibility all the while they can check to see if you screw up. By doing so they might even respect you more (as you are pretty close to 18 they should do that IMHO) as you show them you don't screw around even when you are given the option to.

[edit]And if you want to do a sneaky thing: install a second windows on another partition. Then set the menu time in the boot menu to 0. Hide the partition in the original windows and set that one to default boot. That way you can boot the other windows by hitting the down/up key during boot and ur folks won't see it (not even in my comp as you have the partition unmounted). Unless your folks really check the disk space often or check the disk partitioning you should be set. Aside of course from them seeing you aren't on the computer when you are actually on the computer in their tracking software
wink.gif
[/edit]

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
A good reason to not let children have admin rights: they'll install any number of applications and games (and probably viruses too) that will fill up and clog up the computer.

A good reason not to let adults have admin rights: they'll install any number of applications and random utilities (and possibly viruses too) that will fill up and clog up the computer.

The whole point of having non-admin accounts is to keep people from screwing up the computer until they get the responsible person to install everything for them. In most cases, this means the kids getting the adult. In my case, it's the adults getting me (since nobody else in my family knows how to keep a computer clean, my parents especially).

And to answer the original question, you can set up Windows to ask for an administrative password before letting non-admins install applications. That way you can install an application or two without having to change account types or remove parental locks. Just don't ask me how since it's a lil long winded on Windows Vista/7.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Heh, my UAC was defaulted to pretty much standard with the exception of dimming.
tongue.gif

Don't know why it wasn't set to dim.
unsure.gif

But yeah, I'm the same age as you, but this computer is fully mine; I bought it myself and I have complete control.

(I am responsible.
wink.gif
)

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just have them install it for all users. problem solved.

it's not like you're trying to do something they'd disapprove of.

moose3

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hardware installs need to be done from an admin account (don't know of a work around), software: right click on the exe file, select 'run as..' from the context menu, and yell for a parent. You need their password still, but don't have to waste the time switching accounts.

But I am guessing you want to cut them out of the loop all together, you'd have to do like the other poster said and install a second instance of an OS on another drive/partition. You could also accomplish this by using an external hard drive/thumb drive. I know there are websites out there for ubunbtu on a thumb drive, so it's portable and no changes needed to be done to the comp in question, boot screens, etc. I also seriously doubt they would install a key logger for you so you could find out their password
wink.gif

Just rambling if you had a desktop and not a laptop:

If you want to be really sneaky and don't mind playing with a soldering iron, you could first see if a second internal hard drive with the power plug pulled would be invisible, but not cause any problems during bios loading. I think it might act like a bad drive and slow down the boot process, so check (if you had a spare drive laying around and you were thinking of trying it).

If so, add in a switch on the back of the case that interrupts the drive's power (use a power extension cable for the switch insertion so you don't modify the original cables). Power it up when you want to use your OS drive, and use the bios key press (F8 on my rig) to get a quick boot selection to manually boot from that drive as an alternative to having the OS switching like the other poster mentioned, since that would leave less of a trace, and be faster than using something USB based.

But you are busted if someone were to look inside the case, or see the switch on the back. Also, if they were monitoring your computer time, seeing you on all evening, but when they check, it shows 0 time used, you are busted.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY