Hacking weird problem trying to upgrade my sd card

j0nnywolf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EDIT: To summerize my post below, I've been using an R4-III Upgrade and 4gb sdhc card for along time w/ no problem. I just now tried to upgrade to an 8gb card. Everything I copied directly from my 4gb card will work, but nothing else will. Any games moved on from my old collection on my pc, or newly downloaded games wont work. I dont get a chance to even try to play the actual game, the files on the R4 menu get glitched up when I open the folder containing one of these games. That, and the New folders I made containing only new games will glitch up in the same way when opened, even though all the games inside are also in the own folders.

I hope this clarifies some things. It was late when I posted last night. You Can read the rest of this post for more details, or go right to my second post for some tests I did on this today.

I've been using an R4-III Upgrade now for about a year or so [maybe 2 now] with no problem at all. I know its one of the crappy clones, but I got it cheap, and its been working pretty well.

EDIT: after typing all this, I have to say props to anyone that can read and actually understand all of this without mixing up any of the details. you have really good reading comprehension. lol

Anyway, I've been using a 4gb sdhc card, and for most of the time, whenever I wanted to play a new game I'd have to move some games back to my PC.

So I recently ordered an 8gb sdhc which just came in the mail today. I did a quick format [in FAT32] and copy/pasted everything from my 4gb card.

B4 I popped it in though, I also went into my game collection on my pc and put back several games that I'd erased from my card earlier, along with a bunch of other old games that I never had room for.

also, it should be said that I keep all the games in my sd card categorized into folders [ie, stylus games, rpgs, ect], and that I put the games I had previously erased back into their original catagory folders, and for the games I never put on the card before, I made new catagory folders for.

Additionally I keep every single game in a folder of its own [within the category folders I previously mentioned], so that the save file is kept with the game file and they are both easy to find.

Bare with me please. I know this is convoluted, but there is a reason I had to explain the folder thing.

The following is the result of what happened after I tried to boot this all up on my new 8gb card:

everything I copied directly from my other card worked normally, but everything I put on from my collection afterwords did not.

I always kept and used games from this collection without ever seeing problems until now.

In the case of the games that were put back in the same catagory folders as my other working games, I only get a problem when I go into the folder of a specific game. In these catagory folders the game folders are listed with no abnormalities, but if I try to open a folder for a game that I added from my PC today all I see is giberish instead of the files that should be there [the .nds file, and the .sav file which shouldn't be visible]. sometimes I can still move the curser up and down, but I can't back out of the folder so I need to shut the DS off.

In contrast, If I just try to open one of the new catagory folders I made for the games I never had on my card before, I'll get the same problem mentioned before, but it will happen right in the catagory folder, as opposed to after I open a specific game folder [these games are also all kept in their own individual folders]......... ie, in the catagory folder, I will see giberish where all the game folders should be [and need to shut off the DS].

In the regular catagory folders [ie, not the new ones] I took the time to try and open almost all of the game folders, mostly confirming that this problem lies entirely and exclusively with the games that I copied onto the card after directly transfering the contents of my old 4gb card.

Why would these specific games not work??? they all pretty much come from the same sites online [I only ever used 2] and all always worked in the past. atleast the onles that I'd tried previously.

For some reason everything transfered directly from my old card remained intact, but nothing else will work.

for now, I can continue to use my 4gb card. but I'd really like to start making use of the extra space in my new card.

Also, I'll try downloading a new game online [and maybe redownload an old one too] and test it on both cards, than post back. maybe that will make this clearer.

Sorry for making this so long and convoluted and explaining the intricacies of how I organize my files and folders
wacko.gif
, but these details seemed important to me as far as why they're not working.

Anyway thanks to anyone that bothers to read all this and tries to help.

outgum

Pokemanz Master
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
i tried my very best to understand what you have said and i think i can make SOMETHING out of it.
From what i gather, its ONE file in a folder screwing it over?
What i suggust is do a virus scan on all folders, if nothing comes up, do like a trail and error, take one game off and try again and repeat till the problem stops, you'll then find your catalyst. I suspect maybe a VERY corrupt file, or a virus is in it. have you tried downloading a new one of another site and putting it on to see if it works, its quite a strange problem and ive never heard of it before, i wish you luck though!

j0nnywolf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've conducted the following tests:

1) I downloaded a new game online. created a test folder on each SD card and put this game in both.
it worked on the old card, and not on the new one.

2) I took one of the games not working on the new card[8gb], and moved it directly to my old card[4gb].
It worked on the old card.

3) I found one of the games working on the new card since it was moved there directly from the old card, and I put a copy of the same game on the new card again, this time from my pc.
It didnt work. It should be said that this is where I first put in onto my old card from in the first place.

This reconfirms what I found before; The new card won't play anything at all except for the files moved directly from my old card. Also, there is no problem with the files themselves because everything still works flawlessly on my old card.

Does anybody know why this might be the case??

If it can't play anything new, than why will the files moved from my old card work?
Is it possible there is a type of file formatting that is retained from my old card when moving files in this way, and that the rest of the card isn't working on this format.

Or maybe it's just not possible to get a 8gb card to work with this. I'll mention again that I'm using R4-III Upgrade. If anyone else uses this specific flash card, please share your experiences.

Thanks to all that posted so far.

j0nnywolf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes.

That is what is says on the box. And the 4gb card I've been using till now is SDHC.

edit: the box even says you could use upto 32gb cards actually.

outgum

Pokemanz Master
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hmmm, Either the flash card isnt ACTUALLY SDHC, or its something with the SD, Cause SDHC cards can go over 4gb while non-SDHC cant...

Other than that , i dont really have a solution O_O

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey