QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I do it for a hobby. I know HTML, XHTML, CSS, and JS to a lesser degree.

What languages do you use and do you have a website? If so, link it! I know I'm interested to see it.

I dont host much of anything but I do create just plain folders with text and the .html files in and I view, update and tweak my sites, if ever I get bored of one or dont do anything with it then I delete it. What about you all?

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I know HTML well, but I learned it very sloppily in regards to standards-compliance, but I'm getting much better. I also know CSS, PHP and can edit Javascript, but I don't really do any serious coding any more (the only thing I've used it for recently is my ICT ePortfolio for my GCSE exam...)

J

Jackreyes

sinkhead said:
I know HTML well, but I learned it very sloppily in regards to standards-compliance, but I'm getting much better. I also know CSS, PHP and can edit Javascript, but I don't really do any serious coding any more (the only thing I've used it for recently is my ICT ePortfolio for my GCSE exam...)
Yeuch...
I'm glad i'm not doing DiDA (GCSE ICT)
it looks awful in my school

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
HTML, but besides that nothing else, really.
icon3.gif

I plan on learning more as I go along.
My high school computer courses and laughable...
So, I'll probably get serious about it a little later on, but for know I'll just get to know and master HTML.

beautifulbeast

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm a professional Web Developer: standards compliant (X)HTML, CSS, Javascript, Ruby on Rails...

It's funny because if you learned to program Javascript in the 90's or early this decade, probably you think that it's a lame language you can only use to apply some useless effects, but if you re-learn it now with object orientes Javascript, Ajax and the new frameworks (I recommend jQuery), you find that it's such a beautiful and powerful language. You can develop entire applications that work just like desktop applications...

WeaponXxX

Too F'in Blonde
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I do it for a living but we basically just reverse engineer shit to our needs.
Take a source code and tweak images, colours, ect to make it our liking. CSS is pretty freaking cool though, stole a page the other day and their universal CSS file was amazing. Wish I had time to really learn how to do that shit.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
I find it really interesting and I'd love to do it for a living, but I have no formal graphics training and everything I know about CSS and design is self-taught so I kind of just wing it and hope it works. HTML, CSS, XML/XSLT I'm fine with. My Javascript's rather rusty (know it but never really used it), and I kind of lost interest in teaching myself C# (it looks easy, I'm just useless at practicing code when I can't see an immediate use for it). So that just leaves Flash, which while I often hate it so (overused and usually does nothing more than bury useful page content below a mountian of loading bars ) does look rather fun, so I'm about to have a go at learning to use that.

gizmo_gal

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Little said:
i enjoy it but im shit.... wumga.com
i like playing aorund with databases and php.

Wumga is pretty good. I like simple stuff.

But why's there no content?

Anyone know how to "optimize" a site for a particular browser? Thats one thing I've not been able to find a definite answer for...cant say I've searched doggedly for it though.

Hyperlisk_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Web design is my favorite thing. I know (X)HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, and that's all I care to know
tongue.gif
JavaScript is my favorite, it's just so awesome. No website up yet, but it's coming... I'm just coding a CMS for it currently.

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
gizmo_gal said:
Little said:
i enjoy it but im shit.... wumga.com
i like playing aorund with databases and php.

Wumga is pretty good. I like simple stuff.

But why's there no content?

Anyone know how to "optimize" a site for a particular browser? Thats one thing I've not been able to find a definite answer for...cant say I've searched doggedly for it though.

The content should be the RSS feed from GBAtemp. On the talk of optimization, wumga is optimised to be viewed from a DS
wink.gif

but seriously, best way to optimize is firstly to find out what code is browser specific... coloured scrollbars dont work in firefox for instance. and then just keep viewing your code in all the major browsers. You could have content/design based on browser after detecting it. I guess *that* would be the best optimisation. I would say the real problem is different resolutions though, not different browsers. You should def use something like EM instead of fixed sizes.
If your serious about making a full optimised site might be worth using something like dreamweaver, you can change the resolutions within dreamweaver to see it, and very easily preview the site in any installed browsers.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm willing to learn again. I knew how to build websites when I was in grade 5/6ish. I need to learn again for some future projects I have in mind.

Hyperlisk_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dEC0DED said:
i want to know what's your fav JS compiler?

been looking around for one with nice AJAX and clean coding.

I currently build with XMTHL JS AJAX and CSS for design.
I think you mean IDE, not compiler (As JavaScript can't be compiled
tongue.gif
)

Anyways, I use plain ol' Notepad. you can't beat simplicity
tongue.gif

EDIT: Or maybe you mean library (Such as jQuery or MooTools)? In which case, I don't use any. If I can't code it, I won't use it.

gizmo_gal

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I just use notepad, then save it with a .html extension.

smile.gif

What about you guys? Handcoding or "WYSIWYG"

I've never tried WYSIWYG softwares but they've never appealed to me either. I'd rather just have simple html that I did by hand then drag and drop pics and enter text when prompted.

Jenacis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know a bit - I designed quite a few websites at my college for undergraduate organizations. I picked up XHTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, and then some Perl, and I've also toyed with databases and such - MySQL, SQLite, Oracle, etc... but it's just a hobby.

I use Notepad++, as I like the syntax highlighting it has, but in a pinch I'm fine with using Notepad or something more barebones.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA63mm5FnMo&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Flostmediawiki.com...