Hacking WD Elements 320GB - no power from Wii after hack?

tookie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have just bought a 320GB WD elements portable HDD for my Wii.

When I connect it to the USB slot (bottom one) there is no reaction or power at all going into the HDD.
When I connect it to the USB slot (top one) it receives power and seems to spin up ... but doesn't appear on any of the Wii USB programs.

I'm using a Wii with 4.3EU software with the HomeBrew latest version .... can anyone help with this? Why does the HDD not even spin up or show that it is receiving power from the Wii ?

Thanks

Incure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I got the same problem with my 1TB 2.5" Elements drive. The problem is the quick spindown time of this drive, which you currently can't disable. There are many complaints about this already on the Western Digital forums and now they've finally promised to look into this.

The workaround I use is to let my Wii start directly with Wiiflow (with a forwarder in Priiloader). The first time it will say it cannot find a hard drive. Then I'll power down the Wii, with holding the power down button for a few seconds and turn it back on again. With this method the drive will wake up long enough of to let Wiifllow recognize it. When selecting a game it is possible that it seems like Wiiflow hangs, but just wait some time and it gonna respond again and you play you're games like normal.

luckwii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have never had any troubles with my WD Elements drives spinning down. I am formatted to FAT32, and Configurable USB loader. Never had any issues at all in fact.

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i jst got the 500 gb, western digital, got it home, plugged it in an reformatted it with out installing the vcd. so mine doesn't have the spinndown feature. you get that when you plugg it in an open all the folders. just reformatt it an write all zero's to the drive.. usally take two or three tries but it will work, i have two hdd, on the wii, the first one has all my games(wbfs) an the second has all my movies an music,, the second one is in port two yes with a usb splitter. so i don't loose any usb ports.. an every thing works fine..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Imagine putting your butt near it :tpi: