WBFS wont appear in windows.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by tlangford, Apr 21, 2009.

Apr 21, 2009

WBFS wont appear in windows. by tlangford at 8:15 PM (1,289 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. tlangford
    OP

Newcomer tlangford Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I have a WBFS formatted Hd with about 15 games on it and it works fine with my Wii.

When I plug it into windows it makes all the right noises. When I look in 'Disk Management' the drive is there in green and says Free Space. But the drive wont appear in my computer and hasnt got an icon or drive letter so I cant use it in WBFS manager.

Is there a solution to this.

thanks
    tim

2. clonesniper666

Member clonesniper666 KRII LUN AUS

United States
    Well windows can not read wbfs nativly. You need a manager that can be found in the forums that will read it on windows.

3. tlangford
    OP

United Kingdom
    I probably havent explained myself very well. I have WBFS manager 2.5 but because windows hasnt given the USB HD (WBFS formatted - with 15 games installed) a drive letter I cant use WBFS manager.

4. tlangford
    OP

United Kingdom
    It might be worth noting that I have another USB Hard drive formatted in WBFS and that one registers fine in windows so can be used in WBFS manager. And they both work in the Wii.

5. tlangford
    OP

United Kingdom
    somebody else must have this problem surely?

6. donnyp

Newcomer donnyp Advanced Member

United States
    use the disk management feature on your PC. Right click on the partition that you formatted to wbfs, should say local disk, then choose assign drive letter or path. Then just pick any drive letter for it without reformatting it.

That should give you a drive letter and let you choose which to pick in wbfs manager 2.5

7. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    assign a drive letter manually in disk managent by right clicking on it

8. Smoko

Newcomer Smoko Member

Australia
    I had this problem too. Windows wouldn't let me assign the partition a letter and my only option was deleting it. So I deleted the partition, turned it into NTFS so Windows would give it a letter and then used one of the PC tools to format the drive for WBFS and it has worked fine ever since. I had to re-rip my games but that didn't take anywhere near as long as it did the first time.

9. tlangford
    OP

United Kingdom
    I cant assign a drive letter as Windows wont let me.

I dont want to delete the partition or format it as I will lose all the games on it. Surely there must be a way to load it!? Its all on there it just wont let WBFS manager view it?

10. Eddieh1979

Newcomer Eddieh1979 Newbie

United States
    I had the exact same problem as you and this is what I did to fix the problem... I used a program called "partition master 3.5" (freeware) from www.partition-tool.com. Look at the WBFS drive and check to see if it was formatted as a "LOGICAL" or a "PRIMARY" partition.

Bottom line is you have to format the drive as FAT32 and PRIMARY, not as a LOGICAL drive. Then use WBFS manager or WBFS tool to format the drive as WBFS and you will now have a working WBFS drive that is detectable by your Wii and you will have a visible drive letter on your PC. The downside to this though is that you are going to have to erase everything you installed and start over. If the other suggestions didn't work, then use this method as your last resort.