Hacking WBFS wont appear in windows.

tlangford

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a WBFS formatted Hd with about 15 games on it and it works fine with my Wii.

When I plug it into windows it makes all the right noises. When I look in 'Disk Management' the drive is there in green and says Free Space. But the drive wont appear in my computer and hasnt got an icon or drive letter so I cant use it in WBFS manager.

Is there a solution to this.

thanks
tim

tlangford

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I probably havent explained myself very well. I have WBFS manager 2.5 but because windows hasnt given the USB HD (WBFS formatted - with 15 games installed) a drive letter I cant use WBFS manager.

tlangford

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It might be worth noting that I have another USB Hard drive formatted in WBFS and that one registers fine in windows so can be used in WBFS manager. And they both work in the Wii.

donnyp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
use the disk management feature on your PC. Right click on the partition that you formatted to wbfs, should say local disk, then choose assign drive letter or path. Then just pick any drive letter for it without reformatting it.

That should give you a drive letter and let you choose which to pick in wbfs manager 2.5

Smoko

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tlangford said:
somebody else must have this problem surely?

I had this problem too. Windows wouldn't let me assign the partition a letter and my only option was deleting it. So I deleted the partition, turned it into NTFS so Windows would give it a letter and then used one of the PC tools to format the drive for WBFS and it has worked fine ever since. I had to re-rip my games but that didn't take anywhere near as long as it did the first time.

tlangford

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I cant assign a drive letter as Windows wont let me.

I dont want to delete the partition or format it as I will lose all the games on it. Surely there must be a way to load it!? Its all on there it just wont let WBFS manager view it?

Eddieh1979

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the exact same problem as you and this is what I did to fix the problem... I used a program called "partition master 3.5" (freeware) from www.partition-tool.com. Look at the WBFS drive and check to see if it was formatted as a "LOGICAL" or a "PRIMARY" partition.

Bottom line is you have to format the drive as FAT32 and PRIMARY, not as a LOGICAL drive. Then use WBFS manager or WBFS tool to format the drive as WBFS and you will now have a working WBFS drive that is detectable by your Wii and you will have a visible drive letter on your PC. The downside to this though is that you are going to have to erase everything you installed and start over. If the other suggestions didn't work, then use this method as your last resort.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte