Hacking Homebrew .WBFS files not working on USB Loader GX or WiiFlow

Deleted member 677536

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Hey, I recently filled my 32gb usb with a few games, (wbfs format) and they wont load onto either homebrew application.

No, I do not have a laptop, ive been using my chromebook to download the zips onto the sd card and usb drive

I will provide images of the file setup if needed :)

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I recently filled my 32gb usb with a few games, (wbfs format) and they wont load onto either homebrew application.

No, I do not have a laptop, ive been using my chromebook to download the zips onto the sd card and usb drive

I will provide images of the file setup if needed :)
is your usb flash drive formatted as Fat32 or something else?
How did you transfer these wbfs files? I recommend using WiiBackupManager to do that, it can even check for corruption if you have an issue with a specific game.
- what version of usbloadergx & WiiFlow_Lite are you using? You should use the latest for both.
Also post a syscheck here, you could be missing something crucial..

Deleted member 677536

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Did you verify the correct file & folder names ?

GX may need the "tick" for Wii games.

Yes, I double checked the format I was supposed to use on USB Loader's settings, and on a post about it.

is your usb flash drive formatted as Fat32 or something else?
How did you transfer these wbfs files? I recommend using WiiBackupManager to do that, it can even check for corruption if you have an issue with a specific game.
- what version of usbloadergx & WiiFlow_Lite are you using? You should use the latest for both.
Also post a syscheck here, you could be missing something crucial..

I formatted my usb as NTFS, and I really cant use modmii or anything computer related other than to transfer files from wii.guide and the website i use for my wbfs.

Read about ModMii & use it to rectify your issues.

You asked about safe wad downloads on a "5 year old" thread to avoid possible bricking.
I'd seriously try to get Wii games to work first.
Jumping to using/trying wads before you resolve your above issue could create more problems.

Sorry, I wasnt reading the dates and I jumped to typing. Should I remove the wbfs before my wii bricks?
I also do not have a computer, so I cant use modmii or anything fancy like that.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I double checked the format I was supposed to use on USB Loader's settings, and on a post about it.
He was referring to the games list icon on the top banner in USBLoaderGX, make sure "Wii games" is checked, if everything's correct your Wii games will show up.
I formatted my usb as NTFS, and I really cant use modmii or anything computer related other than to transfer files from wii.guide and the website i use for my wbfs.
Ntfs should work for Wii games, but not GameCube games (need fat32). Make sure your usb is plugged in port 0 (lower port when Wii is sitting horizontally). Also check the settings on usbloadergx and see if the usb drive is set to port 0 not 1.
Sorry, I wasnt reading the dates and I jumped to typing. Should I remove the wbfs before my wii bricks?
"Wbfs" files are harmless, Morningglory was talking about "wad" files 'cause they have to be installed on the wii to be read/ used, if you install any random wad out there without protection, if it turned out the wad was corrupted, your wii is bricked.
By protection im talking about BootMii, Priiloader and a nand backup image. Since you mentioned Wii.guide site, I'm assuming you followed their guide to mod the wii correct? If you installed bootmii, Priiloader and have a nand backup you can install wads, atleast from known/ trusted sources..
I also do not have a computer, so I cant use modmii or anything fancy like that.
How did you format the flash drive?
Also you didn't answer any of my questions above. you seem to be just a kid, that's why im doing what i can to help you..

Deleted member 677536

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
He was referring to the games list icon on the top banner in USBLoaderGX, make sure "Wii games" is checked, if everything's correct your Wii games will show up.

Ntfs should work for Wii games, but not GameCube games (need fat32). Make sure your usb is plugged in port 0 (lower port when Wii is sitting horizontally). Also check the settings on usbloadergx and see if the usb drive is set to port 0 not 1.

"Wbfs" files are harmless, Morningglory was talking about "wad" files 'cause they have to be installed on the wii to be read/ used, if you install any random wad out there without protection, if it turned out the wad was corrupted, your wii is bricked.
By protection im talking about BootMii, Priiloader and a nand backup image. Since you mentioned Wii.guide site, I'm assuming you followed their guide to mod the wii correct? If you installed bootmii, Priiloader and have a nand backup you can install wads, atleast from known/ trusted sources..

How did you format the flash drive?
Also you didn't answer any of my questions above. you seem to be just a kid, that's why im doing what i can to help you..
I formatted it with my chromebook since i really cant afford a laptop rn.

Yes, the wii games are checked, nothing shows up.

I double checked both ports and everything, nothing worked. I cant change the usb port on gx either.

I haev bootmii and priiloader, i installed them both before putting any wbfs in my wii just to make sure.
Post automatically merged:

There aren't that many +4gb wii games, still WiiBackupManager takes care of that by splitting the wbfs file into 2 parts, so nothing for him to worry about.
I dont have a laptop, like i said in a few of my posts, so there would be no way for me to use WiiBackupManager.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cant change the usb port on gx either.
Yes you can. I think port 0 is the default is setting, just update it and try again..
Again, post that syscheck so we'd know if you're missing any cIOSes as they're needed to run games from the USB.
Again, update usbloadergx and or wiiflow. when launching usbloadergx there's a "usb initiation" screen, does the usb pass it or does it display a countdown (from 20 secs)? If the latter, your usb is not being read.

Deleted member 677536

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Yes you can. I think port 0 is the default is setting, just update it and try again..
Again, post that syscheck so we'd know if you're missing any cIOSes as they're needed to run games from the USB.
Again, update usbloadergx and or wiiflow. when launching usbloadergx there's a "usb initiation" screen, does the usb pass it or does it display a countdown (from 20 secs)? If the latter, your usb is not being read.
Oh i didnt m3an it like no one could change it, it just tells me im missing an ios

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
WBFS filesystem might not have enough free space to work, the wii side it needs more free space than on your pc/mac side
Oh i didnt m3an it like no one could change it, it just tells me im missing an ios
Again post that syscheck so we'd know if you're missing any cIOSes as they're needed to run games from the USB.
a CIOS is an IOS just moddified by someone who's not working for nintendo.

Deleted member 677536

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
WBFS filesystem might not have enough free space to work, the wii side it needs more free space than on your pc/mac side

Again post that syscheck so we'd know if you're missing any cIOSes as they're needed to run games from the USB.
a CIOS is an IOS just moddified by someone who's not working for nintendo.

Alright. I'm not home rn but when i get home ill post syscheck

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And you are telling us this now?
WBFS filesystem might not have enough free space to work,
What do you mean "might not have enough free space"? Depends on how large the usb drive in question is, besides i never talked about the "wbfs" format, only the "wbfs" files (wii games)..
the wii side it needs more free space than on your pc/mac side
Again, if you're talking about the "wbfs" format on a usb drive, once the drive is formatted as "wbfs" it should have the storage capacity it's supposed to have, the wii has no effect on it.

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You could ask a friend that has a PC so you can do it there. Just don't wreck his PC ;)
Surely Chromebook can do the later tasks, but it's not clear if .netframework can be utilized.

You could also have dud or failing Flash drive.

Deleted member 677536

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
ohhh alr

its not my flash drive thats failing because it loaded gamecube isos just fine when i formatted it as fat32.

but thank you for the tip

And you are telling us this now?

What do you mean "might not have enough free space"? Depends on how large the usb drive in question is, besides i never talked about the "wbfs" format, only the "wbfs" files (wii games)..

Again, if you're talking about the "wbfs" format on a usb drive, once the drive is formatted as "wbfs" it should have the storage capacity it's supposed to have, the wii has no effect on it.
I redid d2x and it worked this time, going to try the usb again tommorow.

ohhh alr

its not my flash drive thats failing because it loaded gamecube isos just fine when i formatted it as fat32.

but thank you for the tip

I redid d2x and it worked this time, going to try the usb again tommorow.
my dumbarse also forgot to add syschec, ill add that to my to do list

Last edited by Deleted member 677536,
Reactions: impeeza

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
because it loaded gamecube isos just fine when i formatted it as fat32.
If you had it formatted as Fat32 why did you change it to ntfs? Again, you lose the ability of GC games with ntfs, but that's your choosing..
I redid d2x and it worked this time,
You mean it failed before? If it failed, you had no cIOSes installed so that could be the reason why the usb wasn't being read.

Deleted member 677536

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Last edited by Deleted member 677536,

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its all making a bit more sense now.
So you just installed them when you said "i redid d2x & it worked this time"?
Your syscheck looks good.
Have you tried again after installing the cIOSes?
Again, update usbloadergx and/ or WiiFlow_Lite if you're not on the latest version.
And yet again you didn't answer any of my initial questions, so I'm not gonna bother anymore if you don't want to.

Reactions: morning_glory

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: yeah, i'm Anyone, that's just not my alias here