Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Eclipses $1 Million In Opening Day

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone remembers Tim Schafer's recent kickstarter fundraiser? Well, if you happen to be suffering from any sort of amnesia, let me just remind you; a little while ago, Shafer asked his fans for $400,000 to fund his next project. The fans heard and delivered, collectively telling him to "shut up and take my money" with a $3 million total. Needless to say, it was a success.

Well, now it looks like other developers are following in his footsteps. Interplay founder Brian Fargo has (after a month of getting everything in order) has started his own Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for a sequel to his 1988 classic Wasteland. The response from fans has been, to put it mildly, overwhelming.

At time of print, the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter campaign has the backing of over 18,000 contributors, with funds exceeding the initial $900,000 goal by nearly $120,000 and rising. Other industry veterans have also thrown in their support, including Blizzard VP Rob Pardo, who wrote: "Brian was one of the pioneers for the computer RPG with games like Bard's Tale and Wasteland. I would be very excited to see what Brian could achieve with a sequel to such a classic like the first Wasteland."

...With 32 days left in the Kickstarter campaign, it's clear Fargo and his team are going to have a lot of money to play with. This in mind, Fargo explained the extra money will be used to add more missions, increase the map size, bulk up the story, and generally “make the rich world alive even more”.
Source: Gamesradar

So yeah, it definitely looks like we'll be getting that Wasteland sequel now.

Success stories like these are really encouraging, and it's nice to see fans finding a way to directly support their favorite developers. This should also be a sign to publishers that Shafer's success was no fluke; hopefully this will encourage them to fund similar projects. This is good news for everyone.

And because I have to fit this in somehow...
*Brian Fargo when he saw the news*

Reactions: 1 person

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Wasteland 2! Actually kinda odd that Interplay basically went bankrupt after making Fallout and Baldur's Gate /Icewind Dale. Those games rocked.. If the old game is anything to go by, Wasteland 2 is going to be interesting at the very least :)

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Loved Wasteland. It was the first game I brought with my own money as a kid. I screwed up and read the code book though. Spent the entire game getting excited about the prospect of going into space. Read the warning "don't read through the code book!"
gallery_181602_62_30326.jpg

rehevkor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hit 1 million in about 2 days. Quite an accomplishment. I pledged this morning, I have never played the first Wasteland but I'm a huge Fallout-dork.

qlum

Posting when needed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I would have been one of the supporters if it wheren't for the fact that you can only pay if you have a credit card which I don't. At least with paypal it works directly via my bank account.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night