Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Eclipses $1 Million In Opening Day

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Everyone remembers Tim Schafer's recent kickstarter fundraiser? Well, if you happen to be suffering from any sort of amnesia, let me just remind you; a little while ago, Shafer asked his fans for $400,000 to fund his next project. The fans heard and delivered, collectively telling him to "shut up and take my money" with a $3 million total. Needless to say, it was a success.

Well, now it looks like other developers are following in his footsteps. Interplay founder Brian Fargo has (after a month of getting everything in order) has started his own Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for a sequel to his 1988 classic Wasteland. The response from fans has been, to put it mildly, overwhelming.

Source: Gamesradar

So yeah, it definitely looks like we'll be getting that Wasteland sequel now.

Success stories like these are really encouraging, and it's nice to see fans finding a way to directly support their favorite developers. This should also be a sign to publishers that Shafer's success was no fluke; hopefully this will encourage them to fund similar projects. This is good news for everyone.

And because I have to fit this in somehow...
    *Brian Fargo when he saw the news*

1 person likes this.
  2. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    Wasteland 2! Actually kinda odd that Interplay basically went bankrupt after making Fallout and Baldur's Gate /Icewind Dale. Those games rocked.. If the old game is anything to go by, Wasteland 2 is going to be interesting at the very least :)

3. Mantis41

Mantis41 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 3, 2009
    United States
    earth
    Loved Wasteland. It was the first game I brought with my own money as a kid. I screwed up and read the code book though. Spent the entire game getting excited about the prospect of going into space. Read the warning "don't read through the code book!"[​IMG]

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Wasteland = ProtoFallout...

[​IMG]

I think I'm fainting... The glory... It's overwhelming...

5. rehevkor

rehevkor GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2011
    Hit 1 million in about 2 days. Quite an accomplishment. I pledged this morning, I have never played the first Wasteland but I'm a huge Fallout-dork.

6. qlum

qlum Posting when needed

Sep 25, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Pirate Homeworld
    I would have been one of the supporters if it wheren't for the fact that you can only pay if you have a credit card which I don't. At least with paypal it works directly via my bank account.