Warning: Do NOT buy download codes that are way too cheap or from unknown origin.

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by HNKii, Mar 14, 2015.

1. HNKii
    OP

HNKii GBAtemp Fan

Jan 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    Mario Kart Wii-DS Link Play Stadium
    Those who did may have their consoles banned from Eshop (Error code:102-2815), have the games purchased with codes deleted, banned from online play, or have their NNID deleted, or a sum of some or all of the above.

2. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    This is standard advice for any type of digital content not just eshop stuff.

3. HNKii
    OP

HNKii GBAtemp Fan

Jan 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    In China, all Wii U users who were banned purchased at least 1 download code at a Taobao store Shangwandianwan. The shop has now removed all its codes.
    Most( I have not confirmed whether it's all or not) Wii Us that were banned were of the US regions. JP Wii U's are safe at the moment.
    Also, not all who have purchased codes from that store were banned.

I am an US Wii U owner and I decide to stick to prepaid cards now. I have never purchased any download codes, and I think I'll never will.

4. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    That's a pretty radical way of dealing with (I assume) stolen download codes. Do you have an actual news source on this? The way you tell it, it sounds like panic mode (or worse: false propaganda). You're sure no wiiu's were remotely detonated by nintendo, right? :P

5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Typical Nintendo, punishing its own userbase rather than the perpetrators. If you think for just 5 seconds you'll realize how ridiculous this is - you buy a game thinking it's completely legitimate, you intend to pay for content, not pirate it and you get screwed. Here's a thought Nintendo, if you know which codes were stolen, how about, oh, I don't know, removing them from your database instead? The codes only have value if they're connected to content, once that connection is severed, the thieves lose all their stock.

6. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    this....

on steam you can (or could, not sure if still works) hijack someones account temporary (enough time to steal tf2 items, but they increased a lot the security of this hole, and now if you reset an account you need to wait days til you can trade)
    you could buy a physical game for cheap, give the code to someone (or sell it) them request steam support the account get stolen... then you had to take a picture of the phisical game with the receipt and a code writed with a pen..
    then you were granted the account all you had to do was to steal the inventory and sell it to a banker or something like that..
    sometimes when a person is not aware of the account stealed, they might think the account no longer works and think its gone... leaving the account for the thief forever...

i was stolen on the past, but not through this way, but found that this was possible and not that hard...

7. OriginalHamster

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Nov 2, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
    That store got stolen pre-paid cards? Or they were generating fake codes?

8. HNKii
    OP

HNKii GBAtemp Fan

Jan 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    Neither. They probably 'purchased' codes from Nintendo's website with fraudulent credit cards( I think there might be a term for that but I don't know). Nintendo can't charge from those cards and therefore banned those codes as illegal.

Only codes that directly redeem to games have the risk. Prepaid cards are safe since it is not yet possible to purchase the code of a prepaid card directly from Nintendo.

9. HNKii
    OP

HNKii GBAtemp Fan

Jan 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    Source? Yes, but it is a pain to collect them since all the sources are posts of victims, just give me some time.
    And for the remote detonation, some people in a WiiU forum in China rather believe that the're self distruct.;)

10. HNKii
    OP

HNKii GBAtemp Fan

Jan 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    Conclusion post made by Zoubaomi(A great contributor of the WiiU forum):
    Source:http://tieba.baidu.com/p/3631818889
    1,consequences.

A. Eshop unacessable.(Confirmed)
    B,Digital games redeemed from illegal codes can no longer be used.(Some people)
    C,Eshop of the 3DS which shares the same NNID is also unacessable.(Some people)

('Some people' means that these consequences occurred on a number of users, but didn't on other users)

2,What caused the ban?

A,Using cheap download codes from Taobao.(Most causes)
    B,Charging eshop with Taobao(*I think she means prepaid cards).(No clear evidence yet, might be a misunderstanding.)
    C,According to current knowledge, download codes purchased before May 2014 are safe, since Nintendo didn't support purchasing codes online yet.

3,Console versions affected.

Most victims are US consoles, no JP region victims found yet(?).

4,Time occurred

Most happened in the period of Feb 2015 to March 2015,but there are also cases of accidents since last August.

5,Theoretical ways of avoiding.

A,Buy digital games from Eshop directly or buy the code from Nintendo.com yourself.
    B,Use prepaid cards. It is not yet confirmed that prepaid cards can cause bans.

Finally, convincing evidence of bans caused by prepaid cards are badly needed. I will also ask my friend if he bought a download code as well.
    For those who claim that prepaid cards caused the banned, please check if you purchased any download codes during the same time period.

cearp likes this.
  11. Mario92

Mario92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 20, 2010
    Finland
    Finland
    Funny how I got G2A ad while scrolling this. Prime example where not to buy digital keys :P

12. Minox

Minox I did it

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    Steam support more or less always require one of your first registered serial keys as proof that you actually own the account. A recently purchased gift would not be enough to steal someone's Steam account.

13. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    Ad services often use the content on the page as well as the user's cookies to deliver more relevant ads.

14. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    'Too cheap' doesn't always mean unreliable. I got Hyrule Warriors for £2 ($3) so not everything's a scam.

cearp, VinsCool and HNKii like this.
  15. HNKii
    OP

HNKii GBAtemp Fan

Jan 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    How did you do that :blink:?

16. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    The eShop banning is rather recent. You used to only have the games removed. And prepaid cards are safe AFAIK.
    I have bought some underpriced (~$20) codes before though (first one in October 2013) and nothing happened to me since.

Yep. It used to be that. IDK why they changed.

17. dauphin327

dauphin327 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 2, 2011
    Canada
    I thought that Nintendo was only removing the games/content from the account but you could still make another Profile on the Wii U, they fully patched now?

18. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Can't say.

The game's not very good so I'm glad I paid very little for it or else I'd regret.

19. Gifted1

Gifted1 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    Kinda off topic but does anyone know if you can send Club Nintendo points to someone? I have 140 points left and there is nothing that I can get from CN so instead of my points sitting there going to waste, it would be cool if you can send it to someone.

20. fischermasamune

fischermasamune GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    United States
    You can buy a game and send the person a code. Sending only the coins/points is impossible.