Hardware Warning and call for help (fake xenoblade chronicles 2 pro controller)

IluaLinerin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi,im sorry if this doesnt go here, im gonna give a little bit of story regarding this:
Im a Xenoblade fan, like the franchise, but during the release of the XC2, i barely was able to get my collectors edition, since 2017 i've been looking to get a legit XC2 Pro controller, until last summer, when i managed to get one (or so i thought), the controller had everything in place, the nintendo logos, it woke up the switch with the home button, the box was 100% legit, it included an official nintendo cable, it felt great, never tested nfc because i don't own any amiibos nor amiibo cards, the HD rumble worked as expected, anyway, it seemed like a complete genuine product.
All good until a few weeks ago when the controller started acting up after i tried to update it; i connect to the dock with the cable included, go to settings>controllers>update controllers, it fails to do so, even when it's being detected as a genuine nintendo switch pro controller showing the icon with the xenoblade colors, in some games now suddenly it has an amazing input lag, connection loss, the only way to use it was via cable, wirelessly became useless.
I thought that well, its a 2017 controller, maybe the battery needs a replacement, since they use the same battery used on the 3DS console, i decided to use the new battery i had on my 2DS (no xl) to test it, and thats when i found that the motherboard doesnt look anything like an official pro controller motherbaord, this one was labeled as a "SWITCH-XBT-V2.0", and manufactured on 2021.1.21, and here i am feeling like the biggest idiot in the planet.
This part was the warning, if you are looking for a limited production pro controller and you want a legit, genuine nintendo controller, the only way to know is to see the motherboard, don't trust anything besides the motherboard, if the seller doesnt want to show you the mobo, forget it, as they will almost 100% sure, trying to scam you, i lost 80€, you could be throwing even more.
Now to the help call:
Until it crossed my mind, i have many choices, i could try sending it to nintendo for repairs, or look for an official pro controller motherboard and replace the fake one with an official one (if anyone knows where i can get one i would apreciate it), since all the holes for the screws seem to be in the exact same position as the genuine pro controller.
Maybe i could try reselling it in an attempt to get my money or part of it back.
Im gonna contact the dude that sold it to me to see if he knows anything about it.
Basically im just asking where i could get a genuine pro controller mobo.
On a side note, i own a 8bitdo SN30 Pro (the snes like one with the joysticks) and i sometimes have trouble connecting it to the switch, if someone knows why.

Attachments

• IMG20220105210147.jpg
    IMG20220105210147.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 226
  • IMG20220105210205.jpg
    IMG20220105210205.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 226
Last edited by IluaLinerin,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
That's a legit Pro MB. How it got a Xenoblade shell is anyone's guess. May have been refurbished by Nintendo at some point. I would contact the seller to see where he/she got it, and if it has been repaired before. I would contact Nintendo to try to service it. You may have to pay a little extra, but if you are a collector, it is probably your best option. The motherboard was from 5.2021, so you could mention that it is less than a year old. But I am not sure I would say that you took it apart, lol.

Attempting to resell it, after you experienced it breaking would down probably not be the best way to go. Selling it "for parts" might get you some spare change, but considering that they are likely legitimate parts--wouldn't you prefer to keep them and salvage it yourself?

IluaLinerin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I double checked, that's not a legit pro MB, the legit motherboard should look like the one i attach in this post, the image is from the ifixit website.

Attachments

• NjOknKYPoSaynVej.medium.jpg
    NjOknKYPoSaynVej.medium.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 246

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I double checked, that's not a legit pro MB, the legit motherboard should look like the one i attach in this post, the image is from the ifixit website.

Okay. At first I thought it was a newer revision, but you appear to be right. The chips used appear to be generic.

I would contact the seller, find out where they got it. Explain that it is a fake. If he/she isn't cooperative, you can can appeal to a higher authority or take the L.

You could try gambling with Nintendo, see if they will "fix" it for you. If you tell them that you just want your xenoblade controller to work again, maybe they'll accept it and replace it with one they have in stock. You may have to pay extra. You may get pity. I'm curious how that would turn out.

Don't perpetuate the cycle and try to resell it.

Last edited by tabzer,

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i got a fake from the flea market (knew it was) and had high hopes but was disappointed in the fakes. it drops randomly, the L button gets "stuck" (software, not hardware), it's ALWAYS turning itself on and even wired it sometimes freezes when it rumbles (it won't shut off until battery is pulled).

take the loss and be careful next time.

Gep_Etto

Being late since '88
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Don't resell something you know to be both fake and defective. That's just wrong and you'd be screwing over the buyer. Your best bet is to send it to Nintendo for repairs, as if you still thought it was an original. Maybe they'll replace the guts with official ones and keep the shell, maybe they'll send you a new official one, maybe they'll send this one back to you and tell you it's not legit. But at least you won't be pulling a fast one on someone who, just like you, just wanted a Xenoblade controller.

Reactions: tabzer

cluesagi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is still selling them directly on Amazon, at least in the US. They're over $100 last I checked but if you want it that badly that's probably your best bet.

IluaLinerin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
If i where to resell it, i would obviously say that its a non genuine product, i preffer honesty above anything else.
I might try to do as you propsed and send it to nintendo for repairs, and see what happens.
I've been looking too for a way to get my hands on a official MB, but no way im buying from alixpress, i will call tomorrow to a local shop and ask them if they can repair.
Right now my 8Bitdo SN30 pro works even better; didnt realized that they released new firmware and i was in 1.33 instead of the most recent 1.38, my problems with slow reconnection are gone and now works wonders.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If i where to resell it, i would obviously say that its a non genuine product, i preffer honesty above anything else.
I might try to do as you propsed and send it to nintendo for repairs, and see what happens.
I've been looking too for a way to get my hands on a official MB, but no way im buying from alixpress, i will call tomorrow to a local shop and ask them if they can repair.
Right now my 8Bitdo SN30 pro works even better; didnt realized that they released new firmware and i was in 1.33 instead of the most recent 1.38, my problems with slow reconnection are gone and now works wonders.
You should contact Nintendo, not a local shop. I don’t understand what you think a local shop is going to achieve for you that you cannot do already.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,im sorry if this doesnt go here, im gonna give a little bit of story regarding this:
Im a Xenoblade fan, like the franchise, but during the release of the XC2, i barely was able to get my collectors edition, since 2017 i've been looking to get a legit XC2 Pro controller, until last summer, when i managed to get one (or so i thought), the controller had everything in place, the nintendo logos, it woke up the switch with the home button, the box was 100% legit, it included an official nintendo cable, it felt great, never tested nfc because i don't own any amiibos nor amiibo cards, the HD rumble worked as expected, anyway, it seemed like a complete genuine product.
All good until a few weeks ago when the controller started acting up after i tried to update it; i connect to the dock with the cable included, go to settings>controllers>update controllers, it fails to do so, even when it's being detected as a genuine nintendo switch pro controller showing the icon with the xenoblade colors, in some games now suddenly it has an amazing input lag, connection loss, the only way to use it was via cable, wirelessly became useless.
I thought that well, its a 2017 controller, maybe the battery needs a replacement, since they use the same battery used on the 3DS console, i decided to use the new battery i had on my 2DS (no xl) to test it, and thats when i found that the motherboard doesnt look anything like an official pro controller motherbaord, this one was labeled as a "SWITCH-XBT-V2.0", and manufactured on 2021.1.21, and here i am feeling like the biggest idiot in the planet.
This part was the warning, if you are looking for a limited production pro controller and you want a legit, genuine nintendo controller, the only way to know is to see the motherboard, don't trust anything besides the motherboard, if the seller doesnt want to show you the mobo, forget it, as they will almost 100% sure, trying to scam you, i lost 80€, you could be throwing even more.
Now to the help call:
Until it crossed my mind, i have many choices, i could try sending it to nintendo for repairs, or look for an official pro controller motherboard and replace the fake one with an official one (if anyone knows where i can get one i would apreciate it), since all the holes for the screws seem to be in the exact same position as the genuine pro controller.
Maybe i could try reselling it in an attempt to get my money or part of it back.
Im gonna contact the dude that sold it to me to see if he knows anything about it.
Basically im just asking where i could get a genuine pro controller mobo.
On a side note, i own a 8bitdo SN30 Pro (the snes like one with the joysticks) and i sometimes have trouble connecting it to the switch, if someone knows why.

Looks like you got a fake one

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1