Hall Joysticks On Switch Pro Controller

Etnn_

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone !
The left joystick on one of my Pro controller is very f*cked, so instead of buying replacements from Ifixit or something I thought I should try those hall effect joysticks.
I ordered two from aliexpress - marketed as for ps4 only, but we'll see i guess.
Should arrive in September, will keep yall updated.

PS: apparently they added PS5 and XBOX One versions to the page. Judging by the comments I assume the xbox one uses different voltages.

lulzsun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ordered the Xbox One set, will be reporting back the results once installed and tested. At the same time, I found the sticks with the calibration/driver board as mentioned previously in this thread. Looks like they started selling them.
I didn't pick those up cause the shipping kinda kills it for me, maybe someone else is interested in trying them?

Aliexpress shop item: 3256805732082103
(can't post links yet)

Attachments

• PS5-PS4-XBOX-Gamepad-Hall-joystick-Driver-board.jpg
    PS5-PS4-XBOX-Gamepad-Hall-joystick-Driver-board.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: Retro2Modern

Retro2Modern

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ordered the Xbox One set, will be reporting back the results once installed and tested. At the same time, I found the sticks with the calibration/driver board as mentioned previously in this thread. Looks like they started selling them.
I didn't pick those up cause the shipping kinda kills it for me, maybe someone else is interested in trying them?

Aliexpress shop item: 3256805732082103
(can't post links yet)
Let me know if they also work for Nintendo Switch Pro Controllers, okay?

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The now "old" pot based joysticks, are diferent for each console's joysticks, as they require diferent resistance for them to work properly.

With these Hall Effect based sensors, it might only be required to calibrate them properly and program the sensor to ID the physical joystick movement limit and to provide a specific value to the joystick PCB for it to "translate" into correct movement.

I'm guessing the main issue here could be the part of the sensor unless they have some sort of interface to program them the correct required values for the joysticks to work.

ToppestOfDogs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The now "old" pot based joysticks, are diferent for each console's joysticks, as they require diferent resistance for them to work properly.

With these Hall Effect based sensors, it might only be required to calibrate them properly and program the sensor to ID the physical joystick movement limit and to provide a specific value to the joystick PCB for it to "translate" into correct movement.

I'm guessing the main issue here could be the part of the sensor unless they have some sort of interface to program them the correct required values for the joysticks to work.
The orange and black ones that have been popping up on Aliexpress have different versions for the DS4, Dualsense, and Xbox Series now. Last I checked they don't list what Ohms they all are but I would assume they're meant to be the same as the Alps/FU pots the controllers come with.
IIRC Switch Pro controllers use the same pots as Xbox controllers but I don't have a Switch Pro controller so I don't know for sure.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The orange and black ones that have been popping up on Aliexpress have different versions for the DS4, Dualsense, and Xbox Series now. Last I checked they don't list what Ohms they all are but I would assume they're meant to be the same as the Alps/FU pots the controllers come with.
IIRC Switch Pro controllers use the same pots as Xbox controllers but I don't have a Switch Pro controller so I don't know for sure.
If they would list any Ohm value, it would mean they're not Hall Effect, as they work on a completely diferent way.

Would like to test them on a Switch Pro Controller, but don't have one either. I've got a self-made SNES Switch compatible gamepad instead.

Etnn_

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Apparently Xbox OEM use 1.8V, same as my OEM Pro Controller, so the xbox one should be a more fiting replacement. I however ordered mine days before they popped up so I'm gonna try with the ps4 ones and we'll see
Post automatically merged:

OK so, I installed one, went to test and obviously with one OEM and one replacement the calibration is fucked so the zero on both sticks is very wrong. BUT the right stick (which I replaced) doesn't move. I went to check with a multimeter and the voltage does not change across the potentiometer. I checked on the one I havent installed yet, the hall effect sensor are there, the magnets are there but the resistance doesn't change no matter the rotation of the magnet. Am i misunderstanding how this works ? I have the same as the guy in the video from Uber Video Repair linked earlier in the thread and his seem to work out of the box. Otherwise all the voltages seem exactly the same on both.

Edit : item number 1005005638228290 .

1692203424438.png

Last edited by Etnn_,

zeomax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I got mine and its not working. It behaves the same as previously mentioned by Etnn_. Both sticks moving to the bottom left and moving them does nothing. Well to bad, that means we need to wait until someone releases one which is compatible with the pro controller.

lulzsun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same issue here, just got them in and installed the xbox version only on the right stick. Both sticks default to bottom left. Right stick doesn't do anything, but moving (oem) left stick at least moves a little.

I did contact the other listing I mentioned previously which had the blue hall effects and driver board. They said that the switch pro version was still "under development". I'll be keeping an eye out for when it comes out.

ToppestOfDogs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the Xbox sticks came in today.
1.jpg
They were a pain in the ass to calibrate because of the design of the controller, you can't get to the calibration pinhole without taking out the whole stick board. At some point, the controller heated up and smoke started pouring out, I think it might have been D25 burning because that's the only thing on the board that looks damaged, but oddly enough I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it works fine.
2.jpg
They kinda suck though. They are box gated, so the average error is 21.3%, way worse than the 16% I got on the stock sticks. Pressing LT also moves the left stick slightly, but it seems to be within the deadzone of the games I've tried so far.
Screenshot 2023-08-28 165105.png
The one good thing is that they are ACTUALLY analog. Every time I use any other replacement stick, even the ones that claim to be OEM, they always snap to 8 directions, these ones actually allow me to rotate 360.

Last edited by ToppestOfDogs,

lulzsun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good news everybody! I found a listing that sells the hall effect analog sticks specially made for the switch pro controller and I had ordered them a week ago. I installed them and... they work! No issues from what I can tell, and I didn't even calibrate them.

This is the listing id that I ordered from: 3256805777500436

They look like the black and orange sticks as previously discussed, except they are all orange, have a white center stick, and presumably using a different sensor or circuitry. I also waved a small magnet over them just to make sure if they are hall effect. Have a look at the pictures.

Attachments

• 20230911_162640.jpg
    20230911_162640.jpg
    898.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230911_162655.jpg
    20230911_162655.jpg
    833 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230911_162659.jpg
    20230911_162659.jpg
    833.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230911_162715.jpg
    20230911_162715.jpg
    840.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230911_162720.jpg
    20230911_162720.jpg
    834 KB · Views: 42
  • pro-switch-hall-effect-circular-test.png
    pro-switch-hall-effect-circular-test.png
    26 KB · Views: 45
  • S8d44050981474b32b2f6c6abac4204660.jpg
    S8d44050981474b32b2f6c6abac4204660.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 45

lulzsun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are these easy to solder?
Well yes they are if you're new to soldering, but the hard part is desoldering the old ones. If you've never had to desolder anything before then it'll be a huge PITA without good tools. I used a desoldering gun, makes the job easy-peasy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto