Hall Joysticks On Switch Pro Controller

ToppestOfDogs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good news everybody! I found a listing that sells the hall effect analog sticks specially made for the switch pro controller and I had ordered them a week ago. I installed them and... they work! No issues from what I can tell, and I didn't even calibrate them.

This is the listing id that I ordered from: 3256805777500436

They look like the black and orange sticks as previously discussed, except they are all orange, have a white center stick, and presumably using a different sensor or circuitry. I also waved a small magnet over them just to make sure if they are hall effect. Have a look at the pictures.
How close do you have to get to the stick gates before you reach 100% tilt? My Xbox ones reach 100% a few millimeters before reaching the gates. There's some slop at the end where you can continue tilting the stick even though it reads as fully tilted.

Retro2Modern

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good news everybody! I found a listing that sells the hall effect analog sticks specially made for the switch pro controller and I had ordered them a week ago. I installed them and... they work! No issues from what I can tell, and I didn't even calibrate them.

This is the listing id that I ordered from: 3256805777500436

They look like the black and orange sticks as previously discussed, except they are all orange, have a white center stick, and presumably using a different sensor or circuitry. I also waved a small magnet over them just to make sure if they are hall effect. Have a look at the pictures.
Do you have another link to these Switch Pro Controller Hall Effect stick modules?

Nephiel

Artificer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the heads up, I just ordered some too. :ph34r:

Looks like the seller is the same, while the sticks look completely different from the previous listing. Here's hoping they are decent quality as well.

ToppestOfDogs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If any of you guys have Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart on PC, I'd recommend using that game to test your hall sticks. I thought my Xbox sticks were fine but in that game specifically it's REALLY noticeable how inaccurate they are. Walking around in circles causes your character to snap to specific angles and not rotate smoothly. It's a night and day difference switching to a standard controller.

octopus

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
I have a Pro controller which started to drift, so I followed advice I saw on Reddit to replace the metal washer things inside the cyan potentiometers. Got mixed results:
1695325713019.png

While the controller doesn't drift, the stick zone is also not round anymore and I don't like the feel of the sticks (they are too old I guess, there is uneven resistance), they don't calibrate either. I don't want to throw it away, cause I like it.
What's the best replacement sicks I could get? I wrote to Nintendo authorized service they have in my region, asking for replacement sticks, they refused to sell them.

It looks like the orange Hall-effect ones you posted are not very good (square zone and 20% avg error, which would essentially downgrade it it 8BitDo SN30+/Pro 2). Maybe there is still hope for the blue ones the folks above bought? As far as I'm aware there is no other "proper" alternative for now?

Just for the sake of comparison, the Hall-effect sticks on the 8BitDo Ultimate BT:
1695326239696.png

Last edited by octopus,

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I have a Pro controller which started to drift, so I followed advice I saw on Reddit to replace the metal washer things inside the cyan potentiometers. Got mixed results:
View attachment 395208
While the controller doesn't drift, the stick zone is also not round anymore and I don't like the feel of the sticks (they are too old I guess, there is uneven resistance), they don't calibrate either. I don't want to throw it away, cause I like it.
What's the best replacement I could get? I wrote to Nintendo authorized service they have in my region, asking for replacement sticks, they refused to sell them.

It looks like the orange Hall-effect ones you posted are not very good (square zone and 20% avg error, which would essentially downgrade it it 8BitDo SN30+/Pro 2). Maybe there is still hope for the blue ones the folks above bought? As far as I'm aware there is no other "proper" alternative for now?

Just for the sake of comparison, the Hall-effect sticks on the 8BitDo Ultimate BT:
View attachment 395211
its just a quality of our times :D but that narrowing of yours dose not look good :X

my dualsens vs very old dualshock 4

1695375595831.png

1695375621335.png

hmm i was thinking about finnaly selling shock but you now what now iam not doing it xD

Last edited by Lamcza,

Nephiel

Artificer
Trophies
XP
Country
Aliexpress has new Sticks for the Pro Controller. Looks like a different manufacturer.
Just ordered some. Lets see what these are and if they work.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006047459876.html
My order just came in. They appear to be hall effect indeed.

They are stamped K-SILVER on the plate.
Markings on the IC seem to be 9303 3C.

I have yet to test them on a Pro Controller. Hopefully soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20230926_150623_442.jpg
    IMG_20230926_150623_442.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20230926_145756_567.jpg
    IMG_20230926_145756_567.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20230926_145516_839.jpg
    IMG_20230926_145516_839.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20230926_144504_360.jpg
    IMG_20230926_144504_360.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: octopus and Lamcza

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
My order just came in. They appear to be hall effect indeed.

They are stamped K-SILVER on the plate.
Markings on the IC seem to be 9303 3C.

I have yet to test them on a Pro Controller. Hopefully soon.
nice iam very interested in accuracy and jiggling resoults good luck and let us know

zeomax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I got mine today and it works in the Switch Pro and WiiU Pro controller.

The left stick almost perfect centered by default

The right stick is moved to the left

The very bad part is i can not calibrate the stick physically. By sticking a tiny pin inside the hole and moving the stick do nothing. The magnet inside is not moving.

The bad part is i can not not software calibrate the right stick with the Switch. The first part in the calibration tool where you need to move the stick right, down, left and up the stick is not moving left far enough for the Switch to register it. I had to disassemble the controller again and then it was possible to move the stick far enough to complete the calibration.

Connected with USB to the PC.

In the WiiU Pro controller the sticks are a tiny bit to tall and because of that you can feel how the caps are scratching against the controller case and they even get stuck.

I will try later to shorten the stick a lite bit so that the caps can slide further down on the sticks and maybe they stop scratching against the case.

Last edited by zeomax,
Reactions: Nephiel

Nephiel

Artificer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I installed 2 units in both left and right sticks. Neither is centered, and neither moves far enough to complete calibration.

On top of that, the right one has stopped moving at all a few times.
Post automatically merged:

After a bit of tinkering, I managed to get both sticks to work.

Had to replace the horizontal axis on the left stick, because it had not nearly enough travel to get past the first calibration step, and I didn't want to desolder the whole thing. Just grabbed the magnet and sensor parts from the same axis of a spare stick, this way only had to desolder 3 points.

The right stick was calibrated by opening the controller shell before the first step and moving the stick juuuust far enough to register, in all four directions. For the second step, the shell was closed again and a bit of force was used to complete enough circles.

These sticks do not move as smoothly as the factory ALPS sticks. They feel definitely cheaper, but they are Hall effect. I'd just make sure to get some spares before attempting this mod.

What software do you guys use to check accuracy?

Last edited by Nephiel,
  • Sad
Reactions: Lamcza and octopus

Nephiel

Artificer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well that doesn't look too good, quite off-center.
It's not that bad on the Switch. I'm guessing this tester is not taking calibration into account?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230930-201654_1.png
    Screenshot_20230930-201654_1.png
    637.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Sad
Reactions: Lamcza and octopus

n_ato

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Made an account today specifically to reply to this thread. I ordered a similar example from Aliexpress (can't link, new account restrictions) on "New Chip Store." Orange and white.

They were out of stock but the seller was kind enough to message me as soon as they got back. I got the "Switch Pro" variant.
Fit perfect. Got to the calibration screen and it was a little off-center at rest...one calibration cycle fixed it. I've played about an hour of splatoon on it so far and so good so far.
Post automatically merged:

It's not that bad on the Switch. I'm guessing this tester is not taking calibration into account?

I can't post pictures yet but my results using this site were kind of similar - got 17.2% circularity on the Hall Stick compared to 6.3% on the OEM one (I only replaced the left stick so far). Left stick is also in the (+x, -y) quadrant at rest but running the calibration on the switch removed that at rest. So I'm also guessing the tester is not taking into account calibration

Last edited by n_ato,
Reactions: Nephiel

zeomax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No, the new calibrated settings are stored on the Switch and not on the controller itself

I found my old Mayflash Magic NS adapter and the good thing about this adapter is that it automatically recalibrate the center position and the circularity every time you turn on the controller.
This is the result.

mayflash.jpg

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi there!

Just a thread about my attempt to install hall effect joysticks on Switch Pro Contoller in addition to "Xbox Elite" D-Pad and Thumbstick swap.

I have found a copycat of Gulikit Electro-Magnetic Hall Effect Joysticks, those use standard pinout and can be a soldered in place of standard joysticks. Magnetic potentiometers still use 3-pin connection, and based on that I hope they would play nicely with the Pro Controller's motherboard.

Of course, I have also ordered some drift compensators so to calibrate center position of each joystick with a hardware method.

Will let you know how will it turn out when the whole kit arrives.

P.S. I do know that I could have just bought GuliKit King Kong 2 Pro or 8BitDo controller, but I like modularity and customization possibilities of Pro Controller better.
There's something weird with your setup.

The so-called "compensators" use potentiometers which will not last as long as the Hall Effect sensors, which in turn aren't potentiometers (there's no such thing as a magnetic potentiometer, because a Hall Effect sensor works in a diferent way).

The correct way to calibrate those joysticks are by hardware means, by adjusting the joystick's motion limit recognized by the Hall Effect sensor, those "compensators" are unneeded once the joysticks are calibrated properly.

I use those "compensators" to temporarily fix drift on joysticks, but they won't last forever and adjustments have to be made now and then, until they don't work properly and the joystick has to be replaced.

Reactions: Retro2Modern

Retro2Modern

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's something weird with your setup.

The so-called "compensators" use potentiometers which will not last as long as the Hall Effect sensors, which in turn aren't potentiometers (there's no such thing as a magnetic potentiometer, because a Hall Effect sensor works in a diferent way).

The correct way to calibrate those joysticks are by hardware means, by adjusting the joystick's motion limit recognized by the Hall Effect sensor, those "compensators" are unneeded once the joysticks are calibrated properly.

I use those "compensators" to temporarily fix drift on joysticks, but they won't last forever and adjustments have to be made now and then, until they don't work properly and the joystick has to be replaced.
Might I ask how it may be possible with the K-Silver Sticks, or should I go for the ones on AliExpress?

Nephiel

Artificer
Trophies
XP
Country
No, the new calibrated settings are stored on the Switch and not on the controller itself
To verify this, I connected the controller to a different Switch. I expected both sticks to be uncalibrated and way off-center on the second Switch (just as they were on the first Switch before calibration, and on the tester afterwards). However, both sticks appeared already calibrated and dead center on the second Switch, which proves that the calibration data is stored in the controller itself.

It's more likely that the tool is displaying the raw values from the analog inputs, rather than the calibrated values.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto