Want to unbrick my old Wii. Where should I start?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ultramario1998, Sep 5, 2016.

1. ultramario1998
    OP

ultramario1998 no woof tipsic

May 7, 2014
    United States
    Not Here
    So, years ago, my family's Wii bricked. I have no idea how. In my teenage wisdom, I decided it was Priiloader's fault (in my defense, the brick was made apparent when changing a Priiloader setting) and uninstalled it. It's now truly bricked. Years later, I want to salvage as much as possible-I'd like to run a system transfer to my Wii U (could that brick my vWii?) to get back my old nostalgic saves. If possible, I'd like to get it running too, although it may be too much to hope.

My question to you, GBATemp--what are my options? I've heard of SaveMiiFrii, what would I require to use that? I know it involves modding a first party GCN controller, would a Sm4sh variant work for that? Assuming, by some miracle, I can get this working, how would I go about getting my Wii back to a functional state?

I don't have a NAND backup. (one of my old SD cards has a nand.bin, but it could be a friend's and that wouldn't work at all) I blame my teenage self for not keeping better backups.

I won't be too crushed if there's no hope, but I thought I might as well ask.

Last edited by ultramario1998, Sep 5, 2016
  2. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    The controller trick requires you connect it to port 4 and hold down all 4 d-pad buttons while booting. If you get a screen with the system menu revision in the corner you're supposed to be able to put a game disc with the latest update on it in the drive and it will install it. I don't think it has to be a real Nintendo controller as I've seen videos of people using a PS2 one with an adapter. I've never seen a video of someone actually showing the Wii recovered, though.

3. Olmectron

Olmectron GBAtemp Addict

Dec 31, 2012
    Mexico
    A game
    I have a banner brick and I get to load SaveMiiFrii using a third party GameCube controller. However, my Wii is in 4.3U, so I can't do anything at all to fix it, since it wasn't patched to read non-retail discs. I'll need a Nintendo restore disk, or something like that, but they are impossible to find.

4. ultramario1998
    OP

May 7, 2014
    United States
    Not Here
    After doing a bit more research...

It looks like my only hope is to get a modchip installed in the hopes that it will enable me to autoboot to HBL via SMF, install Priiloader, and diagnose from there. Either that, or find an official Nintendo recovery disc. (since I'm already on the latest firmware) Am I correct?

Heck... Where would I even find a Wii modchip nowadays?

Last edited by ultramario1998, Sep 5, 2016
  5. mike333

mike333 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 30, 2010
    Poland
    Having very old Wii gives You chance of bootmii@boot2.
    How many times Your Wii blinks during power up?

6. ultramario1998
    OP

May 7, 2014
    United States
    Not Here
    Can confirm that it doesn't have bootmii@boot2. I got it ~2009/2010, I explicitly remember that it didn't have that capability.

7. Olmectron

Olmectron GBAtemp Addict

Dec 31, 2012
    Mexico
    A game
    I have a boot2 bootmii capable wii (bought on launch), but I never set it up.

Do you know of a way to recovery it?

8. ultramario1998
    OP

May 7, 2014
    United States
    Not Here
    Yeah, all Wii modchips are gone. Looks like my one hope (unless Brawl will launch from SMF, which it won't) is to send it in to Ninty, who still does Wii repairs for some reason. What should I tell them--that I got it off some guy online like this?

9. TheNerdWIzard

TheNerdWIzard GBAtemp Regular

Jun 7, 2015
    United States
    I found this http://www.mod-chip.net/wasabi.htm
    It's in stock