Taiyohhhhhh!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
Hi there, as the thread title suggests I’m interested in making a clone of my existing 3DS system. I asked in the Nintendo Homebrew discord, and the idea seems to be as follows:

-System transfer main 3DS (N3DSXL) to backup (N2DSXL)
-Use NTRBoot to launch into GodMode9, create a NAND backup of N2DSXL with my content
-Wait a week, system transfer back to original system (N2DSXL to N3DSXL) (This is to restore my NNID to the original system)
-Restore NAND backup of N2DSXL, keep system offline

As far as I can tell, this should work fine in theory. I was just wanting second opinions on the idea. I have a loooooot of titles (DSiWare, DLC, 3DS) and a manual clone would be a massive pain, so I’m happy to just use the system transfer.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi there, as the thread title suggests I’m interested in making a clone of my existing 3DS system. I asked in the Nintendo Homebrew discord, and the idea seems to be as follows:

-System transfer main 3DS (N3DSXL) to backup (N2DSXL)
-Use NTRBoot to launch into GodMode9, create a NAND backup of N2DSXL with my content
-Wait a week, system transfer back to original system (N2DSXL to N3DSXL) (This is to restore my NNID to the original system)
-Restore NAND backup of N2DSXL, keep system offline

As far as I can tell, this should work fine in theory. I was just wanting second opinions on the idea. I have a loooooot of titles (DSiWare, DLC, 3DS) and a manual clone would be a massive pain, so I’m happy to just use the system transfer.
Are you wanting to reflash the one consoles nand backup to the other? That wont work since it will brick.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
Are you wanting to reflash the one consoles nand backup to the other? That wont work since it will brick.
No no, each system will have its own NAND flashed back on, but the backup will be made when I’ve done a regular system transfer to the other system. That way when I flash the NAND backup back, it’ll revert to when I had the system transfer on it

Ondrashek06

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
No no, each system will have its own NAND flashed back on, but the backup will be made when I’ve done a regular system transfer to the other system. That way when I flash the NAND backup back, it’ll revert to when I had the system transfer on it
A system transfer still changes the encryption key on the original console, rendering the NAND backup useless.

Reactions: xoINARIox

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A system transfer still changes the encryption key on the original console, rendering the NAND backup useless.
Yes and no. System transfer forces formatting and moves movable.sed to the target console. But since a NAND backup is a full image, restoring it will undo the transfer (locally only, not server-side!).

The same SD, or two SDs with the same content would work in both consoles.
  1. Backup NAND on source console (backup target as well, just because backups are always good)
  2. Run official transfer
  3. Backup NAND on source console once again
    • Create a text file describing what each backup contains. You might not remember a year later.
  4. Restore the image from step 1 on source console.
Both will share the same key (and have the same NNID if one is used). This is why I strongly advise against such ideas! It is ringing every possible bell telling Nintendo that -- how the like to call it -- "unauthorized software" has been used: Two consoles with the same identification and different serial numbers...

If the source console stays permanently, without any exceptions offline, this method might be worth considering. The backup from step 3 might come in handy if the offline console should have to go online at some later point ("In want to sell this thing!" for example).

I personally would rather install my games separately with FBI. Not much work anyway. Connect charger, start and go away. I have bought quite some games over the years and it still doesn't take too long.

Good luck and have fun!

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally would rather install my games separately with FBI. Not much work anyway.
Totally agree with your statement above. Also installing cias from pc with Custom-Install doesn't take much time in comparison to using FBI, definitely worth it when one wants to install a large amount of games (specially +1GB ones)..

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Totally agree with your statement above. Also installing cias from pc with Custom-Install doesn't take much time in comparison to using FBI, definitely worth it when one wants to install a large amount of games (specially +1GB ones)..
Must confess that I never even tried custom-install. Definitely a good way for people who have many big titles.

/home/Daten/Images/Spiele/roms/3DS/cias> find | wc -l

→ 108 files in my CIA folder. All my dumped carts and purchased eShop content (Virtual Console, DSiWare and small downloadl-only titles)

/home/Daten/Images/Spiele/roms/3DS/cias> du -sh
35G

All in all 35GB, and the majority of this data amount comes from the 3DS Pokemon titles (which I don't need on all consoles).
The installation on the console doesn't take too long (and if the double storage while installing is an issue, there is Boop)

To be honest my collection was expensive enough even though most carts were used. Having >200GB of 3DS games usually means piracy. Very much doubt that many people purchased that many games.

Reactions: CoolMe

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
I appreciate everyone’s thoughts, but the NAND backup and restore method worked a charm. I went through and filled out all internet connections with dummy SSIDs to stop the system connecting online, and even used Parental Controls to restrict everything except games. The wifi switch is off, and the console’ll stay offline.

With regards to NNID, one of the functions in the GodMode9 Megascript is to remove NNID. I haven’t run it yet, but seems to make perfect sense to give it a go.

As for why I went this route, well, I have toooooons of titles I purchased over the years. Plus badges. All in all, after doing the transfer and then backing up all titles with GM9 it worked out to around 350 titles (including updates, demos, DSiWare). I just wanted everything backed up, even the tiniest details such as my Game Notes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gray zone warfare looks kinda cool
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ohhh on one episode they could use rings to summon Captain Criminal who is just Obama like a spoof of Captain Planet lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does look good
    By your powers combined, hmmm where is Epstein?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just another shit fps clone
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought it was some warzone dlc bs
    Looks like an enhanced Far cry 1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's a far cry from it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it a free to play bs, pay to get any good weapon/gear
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not free to play but $35
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Inb4 kiiwii gives it a 0/10
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    6/10 rating on steam
    I would like a Predator game "Kill Team" it takes place in the Jungle of the first movie, your team is sent to hunt the predator, using current tech drones and a trained team. Set traps use strategy to hunt and trap or kill the predator.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ill stick with my Battlefield. Yea a predator hunting game like that would be cool. Esp if you can be Arnold and say "Get to da choppa"
    +1
    Maybe Arnold could do a cameo voice acting, he is the one briefing you on the mission
    +1
    Honestly surprised they didn't make a tie in game for Predators that movie was awesome
    I was kinda sad the Yakuza guy died sword fighting a predator lol
    The Russian guy went out like a boss
    Double claymores to the face definitely kill a predator lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went today and looked at a motorcycle someone was selling. I get there and the battery on it was dead, so the guy grabbed a battery charger and hooked it up. He plugged it into the wall, and the motorcycle sparked and started smoking. Come to find out the bike uses a 6 volt battery and the guy had the charger set to 12v. I said sorry to the dude and walked away. I felt bad for him tho.
    Sounds like it would be an exciting ride....
    Not sure I would want something on fire between my legs
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not sure I would want something on fire between my legs