Hardware Want a spare Dock, any suggestions?

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking for get a spare Dock for my switch so I can easily move it between my tv upstairs and my tv downstairs, however the official ones are hella expensive.

Can anyone suggest a dock for me, third party if possible but if needs be I will get an official one

TariqSoftDev

~Zexceil
Trophies
XP
Country
Third party ones do not properly follow the Switch PD, using a 3rd party one can cause bad hardware damage; use an original one since it properly conforms to the PD; even if a 3rd party one says they do conform to Nintendo Switch power delivery methods, I wouldn't want to bet my Switch on it.

Reactions: yusuo

stevieh0e

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get one of them BASSTOP Portable Dock Replacement Cases.
Way more portable and inexpensive. Just gotta take the main board outta the original and put in the housing. I got mine for like $5 on Ebay.
If only someone could figure out how to make it charge but keep playing on built in screen simultaneously.
It switches over to HDMI whether you have a HDMI cord in it or not ]:
Also this is safer considering it's pretty much the stock dock.

NVM just saw OPs reply...

Last edited by stevieh0e,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Third party ones do not properly follow the Switch PD, using a 3rd party one can cause bad hardware damage; use an original one since it properly conforms to the PD; even if a 3rd party one says they do conform to Nintendo Switch power delivery methods, I wouldn't want to bet my Switch on it.
The official dock and the console itself don't conform to USB-PD, however it should be safe to use 3rd party docks and chargers that do conform to USB-PD, the problem seems to be that 3rd party manufacturers aren't trying to conform to USB-PD but they also don't behave the way the official charger/dock does leading to unpredictable behavior.
Hi, I'm looking for get a spare Dock for my switch so I can easily move it between my tv upstairs and my tv downstairs, however the official ones are hella expensive.

Can anyone suggest a dock for me, third party if possible but if needs be I will get an official one
Yes: https://skullnco.com/collections/switch-gripcase/products/jumpgate-for-nintendo-switch
It's not exactly cheap but it is the only 3rd party dock that has actually gone through safety testing to make sure it won't brick your console and they claim they will pay for the replacement of any Switch that is bricked. No reported bricks yet to my knowledge after months of them being out in the wild. I wouldn't buy any other 3rd party dock.

I have one I got from backing the Indiegogo (they also did a Kickstarter fundraiser but I was too late for that one) and had to get it replaced as there were some manufacturing defects with it (what you get for being an early adopter I guess, happens with all sorts of devices even the Switch itself) which was a rather painless procedure, just had to wait a couple weeks to receive it. Apart from that it has been working well though and the replacement seems to be free of any manufacturing defects.

I especially like that when the HDMI is unplugged it works just as a normal charging stand, which I did also need. But you can also unplug the Core Drive and plug the charging cable into the back in its place, of course that way you don't have any USB ports for charging your other devices, but you could use the Core Drive and the Jump Gate separately if you for example have a Samsung phone and you want to use the Core Drive with that for Samsung Dex or you want to use it as a USB hub/HDMI out with a laptop, while using the JumpGate as a charging stand for your Switch.
And when you are on the go it's easy to unplug the Core Drive from the dock and slip it into your pouch so you can use TV out anywhere you are. I have the GripCase with pouch also from them and that fits the dock well so I don't typically use the Core Drive on its own but it is nice to have the option.
Probably won't end up saving you much money once you add a power supply to it but I find it to be superior than the official dock in every way so to me it's worth it.

They sell a power adapter to go with it on their site for $20 (Intertek branded) and it is supposed to be good but it's only available with a US plug so I don't have one to comment on it. You really have to choose the power adapter you use carefully, because most of the USB-PD power supplies available don't have the 15V output that the Switch dock needs to enable TV out. They have added TV out support with a 5V adapter to the Core Drive but other voltages besides 5V and 15V are still not supported for TV out and you need a powerful 5V adapter to support TV out and those are not very common. It's really best to use an official power supply only since with lower quality ones you also run the risk of bricking, but the one they sell on their site seems to be the next best thing. I think the guy at Google that tests USB-PD adapters and devices tested it and confirmed it to be good, as well as some Anker ones.

I can also recommend the GripCase bundle they sell on there. The case really makes playing in handheld mode a lot more comfortable.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Naxster

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The official dock and the console itself don't conform to USB-PD, however it should be safe to use 3rd party docks and chargers that do conform to USB-PD, the problem seems to be that 3rd party manufacturers aren't trying to conform to USB-PD but they also don't behave the way the official charger/dock does leading to unpredictable behavior.

Yes: https://skullnco.com/collections/switch-gripcase/products/jumpgate-for-nintendo-switch
It's not exactly cheap but it is the only 3rd party dock that has actually gone through safety testing to make sure it won't brick your console and they claim they will pay for the replacement of any Switch that is bricked. No reported bricks yet to my knowledge after months of them being out in the wild. I wouldn't buy any other 3rd party dock.

I have one I got from backing the Indiegogo (they also did a Kickstarter fundraiser but I was too late for that one) and had to get it replaced as there were some manufacturing defects with it (what you get for being an early adopter I guess, happens with all sorts of devices even the Switch itself) which was a rather painless procedure, just had to wait a couple weeks to receive it. Apart from that it has been working well though and the replacement seems to be free of any manufacturing defects.

I especially like that when the HDMI is unplugged it works just as a normal charging stand, which I did also need. But you can also unplug the Core Drive and plug the charging cable into the back in its place, of course that way you don't have any USB ports for charging your other devices, but you could use the Core Drive and the Jump Gate separately if you for example have a Samsung phone and you want to use the Core Drive with that for Samsung Dex or you want to use it as a USB hub/HDMI out with a laptop, while using the JumpGate as a charging stand for your Switch.
And when you are on the go it's easy to unplug the Core Drive from the dock and slip it into your pouch so you can use TV out anywhere you are. I have the GripCase with pouch also from them and that fits the dock well so I don't typically use the Core Drive on its own but it is nice to have the option.
Probably won't end up saving you much money once you add a power supply to it but I find it to be superior than the official dock in every way so to me it's worth it.

They sell a power adapter to go with it on their site for $20 (Intertek branded) and it is supposed to be good but it's only available with a US plug so I don't have one to comment on it. You really have to choose the power adapter you use carefully, because most of the USB-PD power supplies available don't have the 15V output that the Switch dock needs to enable TV out. They have added TV out support with a 5V adapter to the Core Drive but other voltages besides 5V and 15V are still not supported for TV out and you need a powerful 5V adapter to support TV out and those are not very common. It's really best to use an official power supply only since with lower quality ones you also run the risk of bricking, but the one they sell on their site seems to be the next best thing. I think the guy at Google that tests USB-PD adapters and devices tested it and confirmed it to be good, as well as some Anker ones.

I can also recommend the GripCase bundle they sell on there. The case really makes playing in handheld mode a lot more comfortable.

Thank you for this information! :D

I'm looking after a "better" dock since i don't want to bend the console nor ruin the screen...
Let say that i also buy their power adapter, can't i use a travel converter adaptor? Or can't i simply use the Nintendo Switch power supply with that JumpGate? :)

I found this one in amazon, wont this do the trick?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0793MN9NP/

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thank you for this information! :D

I'm looking after a "better" dock since i don't want to bend the console nor ruin the screen...
Let say that i also buy their power adapter, can't i use a travel converter adaptor? Or can't i simply use the Nintendo Switch power supply with that JumpGate? :)

I found this one in amazon, wont this do the trick?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0793MN9NP/
You can alternatively get a custom shell and put the original dock internals in it, I think they cost about 10 bucks. That way everything is original, you just have a smaller shell that works more like a traditional dock/charging stand. I just really like the portability factor of the Jumpgate, if you want maximum portability you can just bring the Core Drive and lay the Switch on its face (to not block the air vents) and plug the Core Drive in like a dongle, works just the same as using the dock. Depends on how often you bring your Switch around with you and play multiplayer whether that matters to you or not though.
It's easier to move than the full size dock just as long as you have 2 HDMI cables and chargers, but 2 separate docks is probably the best.

You can use an adapter like that as long as the writing on the charger says it supports 220V/230V. The picture on their website shows the writing pretty clearly.

Naxster

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You can alternatively get a custom shell and put the original dock internals in it, I think they cost about 10 bucks. That way everything is original, you just have a smaller shell that works more like a traditional dock/charging stand. I just really like the portability factor of the Jumpgate, if you want maximum portability you can just bring the Core Drive and lay the Switch on its face (to not block the air vents) and plug the Core Drive in like a dongle, works just the same as using the dock. Depends on how often you bring your Switch around with you and play multiplayer whether that matters to you or not though.
It's easier to move than the full size dock just as long as you have 2 HDMI cables and chargers, but 2 separate docks is probably the best.

You can use an adapter like that as long as the writing on the charger says it supports 220V/230V. The picture on their website shows the writing pretty clearly.

Thank you again for this! :D
I don't want the hassle to dismantle and then risk destroying it. But is it guarantee that it won't brick the console?
I've been reading a lot about JumpGate, and even they ensure that it won't brick it..
I mean when I update the console I won't dock it and update it.

If I buy it, I might as well just buy the screen protector from them too, even though I can get it a lot cheaper in AliExpress or at Wish.com :)

I've dig up some more information and it turns out we can use the power adapter that came with the console on the JumpGate :)

Honestly I don't even think I will bring the Switch around, the only reason I want a better alternative for a Dock is because I don't want it to get bent (like many other consoles have) or scratch the screen because of Dock we get with the console..

wizra

Trophies
XP
Country
I got my spare dock by buying another Switch (that way I have a legit Switch and a hacked Switch, no need to worry about getting banned) so I can have a dock at each main TV in the house. Also no need to worry about brick problems or anything, since I'm using official products.

Naxster

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I got my spare dock by buying another Switch (that way I have a legit Switch and a hacked Switch, no need to worry about getting banned) so I can have a dock at each main TV in the house. Also no need to worry about brick problems or anything, since I'm using official products.

But doesn't that official dock bend the switch due to the heat? And scratch the screen Everytime you remove it and put it on the dock?

wizra

Trophies
XP
Country
Nah man, my switches are perfect... and I’ve used them both for thousands of hours each. I play a lot in docked and portable, no bend at all.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
After the bricking issues, the most I would go for is a gut swapped dock as an alternative (i.e. taking the components out of the official dock and putting them in a new dock).

Note: I still use the official dock but haven't noticed any issues.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
But doesn't that official dock bend the switch due to the heat? And scratch the screen Everytime you remove it and put it on the dock?
With a glass screen protector (which is really recommended), scratching is a non issue. And there is actually an easy mod you can do to improve the cooling with the official dock:
And leaving the back/side lid off the dock (or just leaving it open) helps air flow too.
Thank you again for this! :D
I don't want the hassle to dismantle and then risk destroying it. But is it guarantee that it won't brick the console?
I've been reading a lot about JumpGate, and even they ensure that it won't brick it..
I mean when I update the console I won't dock it and update it.

If I buy it, I might as well just buy the screen protector from them too, even though I can get it a lot cheaper in AliExpress or at Wish.com :)

I've dig up some more information and it turns out we can use the power adapter that came with the console on the JumpGate :)

Honestly I don't even think I will bring the Switch around, the only reason I want a better alternative for a Dock is because I don't want it to get bent (like many other consoles have) or scratch the screen because of Dock we get with the console..
They have been updating the console while connected to the JumpGate dock every new update and making a video of it just to show that it won't brick. Not that that guarantees that there's a 0% chance it'll brick. No bricks have occurred yet from all the people that have one, as far as I can tell, and they have taken all the steps to make sure it's compliant, so there should be no chance of a brick, but it's hard to guarantee it.

You can of course use the official power adapter, that's what I've been doing (kinda want a second one though, so I can keep one plugged into the dock and the other for portable use) :)

Reactions: fragged

Naxster

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
With a glass screen protector (which is really recommended), scratching is a non issue. And there is actually an easy mod you can do to improve the cooling with the official dock:
And leaving the back/side lid off the dock (or just leaving it open) helps air flow too.

They have been updating the console while connected to the JumpGate dock every new update and making a video of it just to show that it won't brick. Not that that guarantees that there's a 0% chance it'll brick. No bricks have occurred yet from all the people that have one, as far as I can tell, and they have taken all the steps to make sure it's compliant, so there should be no chance of a brick, but it's hard to guarantee it.

You can of course use the official power adapter, that's what I've been doing (kinda want a second one though, so I can keep one plugged into the dock and the other for portable use) :)

Hmm that actually looks good, but i think i want to get a smaller dock :)

I've found this one: https://www.amazon.com/BASSTOP-Portable-Replacement-Nintendo-Original/dp/B073S667M6/
And this one actually looks better since we put the original parts of the dock into this one... It's either the JumpGate (for the easier sake), or this DYI thingy :)

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm that actually looks good, but i think i want to get a smaller dock :)

I've found this one: https://www.amazon.com/BASSTOP-Portable-Replacement-Nintendo-Original/dp/B073S667M6/
And this one actually looks better since we put the original parts of the dock into this one... It's either the JumpGate (for the easier sake), or this DYI thingy :)
It's ok, but b4 you buy, be aware that there are a lot of different replacement docks (actually empty shells) out there. The basstop model doesn't use the spring plate and doesn't provide a spot for the LED. This one on ebay (which I have) does. They are not essential features, but still nice to have.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DIY-R...ch-Docking-Station-Portable-NEW-/352173660813

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo