ROM Hack VX 2 AVI approach.

zefiris

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Well, we don't have any available codecs or documentation on it and noone would reverse-engineer it. But there are some other ways, right?

We do know emulators play ActImagine videos fine, let that be our starting point.

The most obvious way would be just use some screen-capture and sound-recording software, but that's not creative and movie should be accessible in game to record it so let's find another way...

At first my plan was like this:
1) We get the .vx file we want to convert
2) We get some game that starts from video (Nobunaga no yabou starts with Koei logo so we will use this game ROM as base)
3) Using ndstool we replace opening movie file (koeilogo.vx) with our file
4) Now we will need some way to record playback. Say we are not lazy (even though I am) and can add video recording o some open-source emulator (DeSmuME for example) - at least execute screenshot routine every frame - and then cobine tham into movie using side software. Well direct video output sure is better.
5) and now we launch reassembled rom in our new emulator until movie end - voila, we have a video file we need. Now we just write batch to all these actions...

Everything seems so bright and easy so why not?.. And here comes obstacle I could not overcome (was too lazy perhaps) and thus ask for your assistance. See, we caan get video using that method alriight, it played Time Hollow opening and Kirby Super Star Ultra videos but... Yeah, some of you know the trick already, audio is not stored in .vx file. It's a part of sound_data.sdat (I am not sure on this but seems most likely) and simply replacing file does not help
hate2.gif
And here goes the question - is it possible to replace opening audio too and if it is, can it be made automatic?..

Sorry for my broken english etc, hope I said anything useful `^^

zefiris

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
DarthNemesis said:
Why not just ask the emulator authors about the format?
I don't think they know it. Their emulators emulate games itself, and movie playback is part of game thus it gets emulated too. It does not play standalone video.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
zefiris said:
DarthNemesis said:
Why not just ask the emulator authors about the format?
I don't think they know it. Their emulators emulate games itself, and movie playback is part of game thus it gets emulated too. It does not play standalone video.
Well, actually, I remember that one of the first things to get emulated were videos, even before actual gameplay. Try to ask Lino (the iDeaS emu author), as he was one of the first to get videos working
tongue.gif

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
you can always rip the audio from the sdat, and merge the created video file with the audio using a simple video editing tool(even windows movie maker can do that)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: as to you