Status
Not open for further replies.

thekarter104

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's possible and it comes out, will it be possible to run an N64 emulator at full speed?
Then I can finally play Super Mario 64 Star Road! This ROM hack doesn't even work on real Nintendo 64 for some reason...

EDIT: Can the thread be renamed to [vWii] 3-core hack question?
I forgot to put 'question' behind it..

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If it's possible and it comes out, will it be possible to run an N64 emulator at full speed?
Then I can finally play Super Mario 64 Star Road! This ROM hack doesn't even work on real Nintendo 64 for some reason...

Um... just a minute .....

Let me seee.....

bola-de-cristal.jpg

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

No offense but Super Mario 64 Star Road is crap. The levels are not well designed and it all seems like a rush job. I didn't find it fun at all.
Agree on the thread renaming. I was hoping the hack was released :(
But to answer your question, it may not make any difference at all since N64 emulation normally happens on a single core and modifying the emulator to make use of multiple cores takes some serious effort and will introduce new bugs and incompatibilities, whether anyone will bother to modify it knowing that is hard to say. Even then, the speed increase will not be huge as all it'll be doing is moving certain parts of emulation to its own thread, like sound emulation.

Reactions: Slamicite

Ninja_Carver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As others have previously stated, there's really no telling what the capabilities of the system will be.

If Linux is the platform used, the emulators will need to support Symmetrical Multi-Processor systems in order to get the best out of the hardware.
Even then, without a full WiiU hack, we'd be limited to the memory of the vWii (64MB?) which an emulator would just laugh at.

So at this point in time, don't get your hopes up. But personally I would love to see console emulation brought along with this project.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Marcan's espresso blog mentioned Wii u ram, right? Hinted at tri-core being a good start. Well, running 3 cores.

Ninja_Carver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To clarify, this only yields access to the extra cores, not the extra RAM and the rest of the hardware. For that, you’ll need a Wii U mode exploit. We do have such an exploit, but right now I believe that, if it were released, there wouldn’t be enough developer interest to kickstart a healthy homebrew ecosystem; if e.g. a Linux port to vWii-mode Espresso is developed, I will gladly stand corrected (and such a Linux port would be directly applicable to Wii U mode, modulo a few minor memory mapping differences, so it’s not wasted effort).

Reactions: Deletedmember331810

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
speaking of tri-core. i wonder if it would ever get added to devkitpro, so all you need to do is call one simple function to enable it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: