Homebrew Question VR Support for Homebrew?

coppertj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
id like to 3d print a switch headset. I have a oculus cv1 but im curious just how poor quality the vr is going to be

Reactions: Kyaria

ah0tp0tat0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
id like to 3d print a switch headset. I have a oculus cv1 but im curious just how poor quality the vr is going to be

Maybe a headset for the Switch would be to make a dock for it (chop off one of the sides of a normal dock maybe?) and the screen would be pretty much be right there in your face but it would need to have a pretty decent sized battery or something to give it the juice it needs and then from there make it look like a normal VR headset. This is just an idea idk if it would work or not.

icefox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch has a 720p display. On 6.2". Those pixelgrids will be HUGE through VR google lenses. :)

Probably worst experience ever.
Agreed with the conclusion but want to point out screen size doesn't matter. Larger screen means less magnification. The end of the day FOV and resolution determine everything

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
vbjin-ovr looks pretty great on my DK2, let alone my Vive. I think a virtual boy emulator would be perfect for this, no joke.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the Labo VR kits out, I hope to see some cool VR hoembrew. I would even like a modified Virtual Boy emulator if possible.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
The switch itself honestly doesn't look too bad when you place it in front of a cheap VR headset.
Ah the Nintendo makes magic work, because Nintenndo proposal.

What you are talking about, when you are talking low resolution for VR is pixel grids. The space between pixels is so large, that you get a veritable screen door effect. The Lcds used (they are sourced from different manufacturers, and only part of the first bunch was japanese) will suffer from smearing because refresh rate cant be fast enough on mobile devices, much less ones designed with the screen being more or less an afterthought - and all you are left with is the hiptsters idea of what to do with Labo, once the entire first concept failed.

Lucky you, that VR is really just tablet tech with different ergonomics. ;)

Marketing decision. Shitty one. Milk the VR hype.

But of course the Nintendo label makes it all better.. ;)

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Drake sand in A minor