Hacking VitaQuake GPU rendered. Possible N64 emulators for Vita?

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Hi guys!

I saw this the other day http://wololo.net/2018/01/21/vitaquake-2-5-released-now-3d-gpu-hardware-accelerated/

And i saw this paragraph

IcG4RJ7.png

More particularly the "N64" part!

Will we finally see N64 emulators for will running at full speed and with GPU rendering?
And do you know anyone working on it right now or has plans?

I hope libretro will release N64 core soon, cause i really want to play N64 on the go on my vita!

Cheers! :grog:

maxresdefault.jpg

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I Will quote @xerpi on this one:

This won't "open up quite a few Doors for Emulation", it will only simplify the porting of legacy OpenGL games such as GL Quake. Emulators should really use GXM directly.

Really, ppl should stop hyping about N64 emulation on Vita with VitaGL.
Is pretty simple, if there is interest to make an N64 emu for Vita (and I mean, one from scratch) there will be one, if there is not interest (which looks like is the case) it will not be a thing.

colanwiser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, my lack of knowledge of opengl, vitagl,gxm, and programming in general means I can only speculate how this may make n64 emulation easier. But I thought that xerpi guy and retroarch were working on an n64 emulator. We can only hope to hear the good news one day.

Reactions: Metoroid0

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
xerpi is indeed 100% correct, developers should use libGXM because it offers more "direct" access to the Vita's GPU than this implementation of OpenGL, and for emulators that require hardware renderer's, it's basically the absolute best case scenario for speedy execution.

However, because a majority of the emulators available on the Vita are just Retroarch ports, and not necessarily designed strictly for the Vita, a hardware accelerated OpenGL library may still bring some good news on the emulation front. I will agree again with what xerpi says about this not "opening quite a few doors for emulation", because this isn't going to just magically produce a 100% N64 or DC emulator, but I would disagree with the implication that emulation wouldn't benefit from this at all. VitaGL will at least allow for OpenGL hardware renderers to properly run on the Vita, which would take us from the super slow slideshow N64 demonstration the Libretro team showed us a long while back to a likely somewhat playable state.

I imagine, if Libretro are still working on porting the N64 core over and will attempt to use VitaGL when it officially releases, it still wouldn't be full speed or have decent compatibility. We're more likely to get N64 emulation that's a fair sight better than the Daedalusx64 PSP port with a few playable titles, but not really perfect for most games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1