Vita will not support PS1 out-of-box

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought this was already known. I swore this news was posted months ago.

Really though, it's nothing to get flustered over. It's still launching with the store, with game releases, and a bunch of good out-of-the-box features. The 3DS didn't even launch with an eShop. I'm not saying "BAWWW THE 3DS IS SO BAD", but it's a norm now for consoles to get more features as they grow. The 3DS did, the Vita will too.

But whiners gonna whine.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I already knew that PSOne Classics wouldn't be supported at launch. It doesn't really bother me since I'll be keeping busy with Vita games for a long while, and by the time I even want to play PSOne Classics they will probably be supported at that time.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Who cares really. It's a PS VITA, successor to PSP. PSP downloads at launch = far good enough. It is not the successor to PS1.

The Vita titles will also boggle you until this update comes.

or maybe due to the horrid memory prices you decided to wait and when the time is right BAM YOU HAVE PS1. :tpi:

OJClock

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
who wants to play PS1 games on the vita anyway

You've got a fucking Vita

i take that if it was the other way around your be like omg vita is so great it can play ps1 games

let me tell you that there great ps1 game di you ever have a ps1 ?
there were a lot of great ps1 games. crash bandicoot, ff, mvsc2, spyro
if it weren't for the psp's compatability i would never have gotten to experience their greatness

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
who wants to play PS1 games on the vita anyway

You've got a fucking Vita

i take that if it was the other way around your be like omg vita is so great it can play ps1 games

let me tell you that there great ps1 game di you ever have a ps1 ?
there were a lot of great ps1 games. crash bandicoot, ff, mvsc2, spyro
if it weren't for the psp's compatability i would never have gotten to experience their greatness

If people want to experience their greatness, than they should just get a PSP. Much cheaper than a vita.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Not really surprising, but honestly who didn't see this coming? How many features have been added to the PS3, Wii, 360, PSP, 3DS, DS(i/iXL), (add console name here), consoles after launch? How many consoles had perfect backwards compatibility? How many have had some backwards compatibility chopped of after the original release? For example PS3 (crippled and only partially working PS2 emu) and Wii (completely working GC (?) completely dropped and apparently never to be seen again).

Also regarding the 3DS vs PSV haters gonna hate- ideology.. You people do know that we still haven't seen that many VC games on the 3DS. Also where is the GBA compatibility on the DSi/DSiXL when those have been out for longer than the 3DS. And no, saying hardware is too limited isn't a real answer. The PSV will apparently have PS1 compatibility so just deal with it. It's not that hard. Also for example the people who bought a DS in the first place and didn't own a GBA before that, what games did they probably play first? DS or GBA games?

-Qtis

ps. To people who like to troll, just try a little harder and stay with at least partial facts. Otherwise you do look a bit.. well.. :3

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd rather they add PS2 game compatibility to the vita instead of PS1, since i'm not getting rid of my PSP when i get a vita anyway.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At launch the PSP didnt appeal to me at all. However, with the advent of a solid (not great) line up of games, emulator power house, and PS1 classics, I decided it was time to get my hands on one.
So im willing to wait and see what happens to the Vita. Maybe it will appeal to me eventually.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd rather they add PS2 game compatibility to the vita instead of PS1, since i'm not getting rid of my PSP when i get a vita anyway.

This times one thousand.

The PS2 has like one of the greatest game libraries ever. I doubt I'll ever find myself letting go of my PSP Go (pun intended) until it breaks, in which case I'll just buy another one. I'm not a huge believer in selling my stuff either. I've never sold/traded in any of my video games or consoles, even the shit games I regret buying (I'm looking at you, Dead Rising and Prince of Persia).

Reactions: 1 person

Vinnymac

Trophies
Website
nds-roms.com
XP
Country
United States
I think this is a very bad trend. When the Xbox 360 didn't offer all of the previous titles as playable, that really pissed me off. I am not looking forward to the Vita all that much, I might pick one up one day. But if it had the ability to play older games that would appeal to me. I hope they don't offer digital remakes and then try to eat our wallets for the full price of a new game.

Reactions: 1 person

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think this is a very bad trend. When the Xbox 360 didn't offer all of the previous titles as playable, that really pissed me off. I am not looking forward to the Vita all that much, I might pick one up one day. But if it had the ability to play older games that would appeal to me. I hope they don't offer digital remakes and then try to eat our wallets for the full price of a new game.
Only difference to the Xbox 360 is that the PSVita will support PSP games in the future. It is clearly stated in the SCEA PSVita FAQ:

[quote name=SCEA]Q: Is PS Vita compatible with other PlayStation platform games like PS3, PS2, or PSP? Do you have any plan to support other PlayStation platforms in the future?
A: Users can play PSP titles, minis and PSone classics titles which are offered on PS Store. We do no have any plans to make PS Vita compatible with PS3 or PS2 titles at this point.[/quote]

The let down here is so far no ps2 compatibility promised, but on the other hand, the other next gen console (yes it's the 3DS) has had a few features added to the "to be released in the future" list. Thus nothing is impossible :)

-Qtis

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The whole point of this thread is basically Sony need to get round to making another PSOne emulator?

Oh woe fucking me.
Welcome to the World of Everything and the Kitchen Sink! Leave something out and all that people see is "NOT SUPPORTED?!" instead of "WOW THAT'S SUPPORTED!"

Bah..

-Qtis

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This times one thousand.

The PS2 has like one of the greatest game libraries ever. I doubt I'll ever find myself letting go of my PSP Go (pun intended) until it breaks, in which case I'll just buy another one. I'm not a huge believer in selling my stuff either. I've never sold/traded in any of my video games or consoles, even the shit games I regret buying (I'm looking at you, Dead Rising and Prince of Persia).
Now this i would buy on day one for.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: you can't turn link into a femboy in tears of the kingdom