Visual Boy Advance GX 2.3.7 Released

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Tantric, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Tantric
    OP

Tantric GBAtemp Regular

Feb 8, 2007
    Canada
    Hi All,

VBA GX 2.3.7 has been released: https://github.com/dborth/vbagx/releases

Changelog:

• Allow loader to pass two arguments instead of three (libertyernie)
    • don't reset settings when going back to an older version
    • Fix a few potential crashes caused by the GUI
    • Other minor fixes/improvements
    • Compiled with latest libOGC/devkitPPC

danny19901, Ninn, Flo_o and 8 others like this.
  2. WesMods

WesMods GBAtemp Regular

May 4, 2016
    Bulgaria
    How can we get these new releases as plugin cores for WiiFlow Lite?

3. fledge68

fledge68 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 30, 2012
    United States
    these versions of snes9xgx, fceugx, and vbagx already work as wiiflow (lite) plugins.

just edit the dolfile= line of their plugin.ini .
    example:
    dolfile=sd:/apps/snes9xgx/boot.dol

note: but you do have to go all the way back to the game select screen before you can return to wiiflow.

WesMods and rogerioronin like this.
  4. WesMods

WesMods GBAtemp Regular

May 4, 2016
    Bulgaria
    An
    Anyway to add the "Back to WiiFlow" to them? (Just for simplicity sake for kids/old people etc?)

5. fledge68

fledge68 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 30, 2012
    United States
    yes but right now i can't seem to compile snes9xgx with libogc 1.8.20 and ppc r32
    i'm getting an error:
    ld.exe: cannot find -logg

does anyone know what that means or how to fix it?
    my guess is it has something to do with ogg files?

WesMods likes this.
  6. Tantric
    OP

Tantric GBAtemp Regular

Feb 8, 2007
    Canada
    You need to install the portlibs.

WesMods likes this.
  7. fledge68

fledge68 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 30, 2012
    United States
    actually i had the portlibs.
    i just fixed it. i removed -logg from the makefile. i thought libvorbis handled ogg files.
    anyway removing -logg from the makefile and it compiled.

WesMods likes this.
  8. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Does this support wii u pro controller and gamepad? :unsure:

9. WesMods

WesMods GBAtemp Regular

May 4, 2016
    Bulgaria
    Nice! Coming soon....? :O

fledge68 likes this.
  10. Flo_o

Flo_o Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2017

Great job Tantric! Thanks again for your hard work!

11. Tantric
    OP

Tantric GBAtemp Regular

Feb 8, 2007
    Canada
    Here's a VBA GX with dancinninja's optimizations restored, Carl Kenner's changed restored, and the GC virtual memory implementation restored (this part won't impact the Wii build)
    This may fix WarioWare Twisted.
    Please provide feedback. Is anything broken/fixed from the release I just put out? There's a lot of features that have been added over time by a number of different people and I'm not sure what the state is.

Attached Files:

12. WesMods

WesMods GBAtemp Regular

May 4, 2016
    Bulgaria
    Thanks X 1,000,000 @fledge68 and @Tantric. Way to save all the Wiis from the garbage bin, you are all making my Wii dreams come true :D

13. cebolleto

cebolleto GBAtemp Regular

Mar 5, 2010
    I have been making some tests to the screenshots loading speed

Not sure why but FceumGx seems to load them way faster than the other two. At first I thought it was because I had some images at 24bpp instead of 8bpp but after converting them I didn't see any improvement at all... The resolution doesn't seem to be the problem either since gb screenshots are the smallest ones

Is somebody else having this problem too?

14. rayabusa

rayabusa Member

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2018
    Brazil
    This emulator is awesome, it would be nice to have Original filter "240p" just like Snes9xGX and FceumGX. You can play at 240p but you must change the resolution option, and the emulator GUI changes too, which looks weird. Thanks Tantric for keeping the best wii emulators alive!

15. Flo_o

Flo_o Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2017
    Sorry for my confusion Tantric, but is there a difference between VBA GX's core (compatability) and mGBA's core (compatability)? Has VBAGX v2.3.7 the latest mGBA 0.6.3 core implemented or is it based on a different core? And can VBA GX run GBA games just as good as mGBA?

16. MaeseJesus

MaeseJesus GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2013
    If I remember correctly, VBA GX is based off of vba-M, while mGBA is its own emulator that started circa 2013, specially designed to run well on lower end machines.

17. Flo_o

Flo_o Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2017
    Sorry for my confusion Tantric, but is there a difference between VBA GX's core (compatability) and mGBA's core (compatability)? Has VBAGX v2.3.7 the latest mGBA 0.6.3 core implemented or is it based on a different core?
    Thanks MeaseJesus for the info, so compatability will be completelly different if you compare both emulators right?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Just found some extra info but don't know if it is still up to date:

mGBA
    Aims for accuracy, speed, and features. For its accuracy, it's gradually becoming the best at that. It's actively developed and has features VBA-M lacks such as a Solar and Tilt Sensor, and more recently Game Boy Camera support.

Visual Boy Advance-M (VBA-M)
    A fork with additional improvements. It is not updated as often these days and is falling behind in terms of accuracy and performance compared to mGBA.

18. MaeseJesus

MaeseJesus GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2013
    The thing (speaking with the Wii in mind) that VBA GX has over mGBA is GB and GBC emulation for now. Games do perform generally better, while, at least on my end, in mGBA there are some things to iron out, and GB and GBC games have scratchy sound.

mGBA's support for GB+C is still in development, as it wasn't a goal originally, it was added later. Maybe one day we'll see a big jump and mGBA will be all around better emulation-wise to VBA GX, but for now that's one point towards Tantric's emulator. You also have Gambatte core for Retroarch, which is great too, but it's not a standalone emulator, and some people seem to really hate having to set RA up.

Purely speaking about GBA emulation, then mGBA is the one I would recommend.

Lastly, in its GitHub page it points out that VBA GX does support Solar and Tilt sensor, and even Rumble. I never tried them myself, but I think I've read not too long ago about Tantric fixing motion controls for 2.3.7, maybe it was in the 2.3.6 version thread.

Last edited by MaeseJesus, Sep 16, 2018
  19. SieKensou

SieKensou Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 28, 2018
    Spain
    @Tantric Could you add support for the Game Boy/Game Boy Color/Super Game Boy/Game Boy Advance BIOS files?

20. FanNintendo

FanNintendo GBAtemp Regular

Apr 16, 2018
    United States
    worse update will not play Wii U controller pad when u choose it on vWii mode also when playing Castlevania - Aria of Sorrow pressing jump some will not jump higher or flickering the screen its horrible !! im NOT HAPPY!!

21. FanNintendo

FanNintendo GBAtemp Regular

Apr 16, 2018
    United States
    OK i have tested the problem is when u connect the Classic controller or Wii U Pro Controller it act funny when u press jump button it not jump as regular or it making the game fast forward on both vWii or Wii but i tested Wiimote and gamecube controller also Wiimote & Nunchuk on Wii it seems fine. Wii you look in classic contoller and Wii U Pro Controller see why it is not working property? Thank you