Hacking Virus on my MicroSD card

Linguistically

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys, things been going well. Today, while I was downloading games and such, my MicroSD got ineffected with a virus. The same virus that effected my sister's USB. I didn't know this at the time, and when I put the MicroSD in my DS, it froze a lot, etc., so I put the SD into my comp, and that's when I realized I had a virus.

What I'd like to know is:

Is there a possibilty this virus could affect my Nintendo DS? The freezing of the screen was caused by the virus, obviously, so could the virus have spread to the DS, etc.? I wont put that SD into my DS again (the SD with a virus) but is there a possibility that, while the SD with the virus was in my DS, it could hurt my DS?

So will it be alright for me to just get a new MicroSD, and download games on a fresh, non-virus computer?

Thanks

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Once you format the SD card, the virus will be gone and you can use it in your DS again. The virus can not spread to the DS as the DS doesn't handle files and processes like a computer does, so no worries. That's kinda why many people love Linux, the free operating system. The way it's designed to handle things makes it next to impossible to get a virus, and the Windows programs that contain viruses do not affect Linux whatsoever. This is a similar case.

villadelfia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Skyline969 said:
Once you format the SD card, the virus will be gone and you can use it in your DS again. The virus can not spread to the DS as the DS doesn't handle files and processes like a computer does, so no worries. That's kinda why many people love Linux, the free operating system. The way it's designed to handle things makes it next to impossible to get a virus, and the Windows programs that contain viruses do not affect Linux whatsoever. This is a similar case.

A more valid reason being that the DS (arm7 & arm9) doesn't have the same type of processors so code compiled for an x86 cannot possibly run.

Linguistically

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Anj said:
You could just re-format your SD card instead of buying a new one so all the data inside it will disappear including the virus, although I don't get how you could get a virus on your SD card...

Edit: Just put this instead of your TTMENU and It'll be fixed http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4684

Thank you, so that's all I need for a reformatted, empty MicroSD to be protected?

I want to run Avast, format card and put that download in ^.

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You cannot get a virus on an SD card...
sleep.gif

Just a file probably corrupted.

Linguistically

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I know what I'm talking about. Don't tell me otherwise. There IS a virus and its affected more than just this laptop/USB/MicroSD. Called autorun/Recycler.

Did Avast on the VIRUS file and it didn't even say it found any ineffected files. What is this? If I just reformat the MicroSD, the virus will just come back, and avast! isn't helping me at all by not even finding a virus in the effected file!

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
As others have said, a Windows virus will not affect your Nintendo DS. Use the Panasonic formatter to reformat your microSD card and the virus will be gone from it. You'll need an anti-virus program to remove the virus from your PC's hard drive.

Avast probably isn't the best virus program, so it may not be detecting the virus. Also, if you don't keep it up to date, it may not have that particular virus in its database. So if your virus protection program isn't detecting the virus, how do you know you have one? If you know for sure you have a particular virus, go to the Symantec Antivirus website, search for the virus in their virus database, and then download a free program to clean that specific virus (they have one for nearly every virus):

http://www.symantec.com/norton/security_re...lorer/index.jsp
http://www.symantec.com/norton/security_re...emovaltools.jsp

-Bri

Linguistically

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, not to be rude, but like I said, I know have a virus. Avast! Is useless, and nothing else seems to be working. Should I reformat the MicroSD, the virus will simply come back again. This virus has affected my relative's computer, my MicroSD and my sister's USB.

I want to reformat the laptop, but I don't think I'll manage since I'm leaving this place soon. Buying a new MicroSD seems a lot better, I wont open the pack till I get home and use my clean, non-virus computer.

What to do now? I want to make it work... but this anti-virus is not helping me at all. And the link you gave me, Bri, was not so useful either (no offense).

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can get a virus on an SD? Well what exactly is happening to your PC that you think the MicroSD did it?

I'd reformat the card if I was you..

Lastly, if the Anti-Virus programs you use can't detect a virus, How do you know you have one

Morgawr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Wtf, a virus can't be hardware-side in a microSD, if you format the card, the virus will be gone... There is no way it can stay in there after a format.

Linguistically

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright, some of you are doubting me, so I'll explain it more thoroughly:

My sister's USB, has had a virus more than once, called Autorun/Recycyler. This does not allow me to double click the disk, I have to right click and click explore. Now, that USB was used in my relative's computer, and this virus spread. Now yesterday, I put games on my SD and started playing. Weirdly, my DS was freezing, faded health warning screen, and at times just not working. The DS worked randomly after restarting lots of times. I decided to investigate, so I put the MicroSD into the USB and put it into my comp. (I thought Sonic and Mario Olympic games was causing this, even though it wasn't, that was just what I thought), so I went in and checked, and there, in the MicroSD was the virus, Recycler and Autorun. I deleted it and it came back, and I'm guessing if I just reformat the card it will just come back.

The virus is not going!! I tried Avast!, Avira, everything, the Recycler folder is not going. It can't be deleted, and I don't know what to do now. I'm betting on buying a new one tomorrow.

Morgawr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Linguistically said:

My sister's USB, has had a virus more than once, called Autorun/Recycyler. This does not allow me to double click the disk, I have to right click and click explore. Now, that USB was used in my relative's computer, and this virus spread. Now yesterday, I put games on my SD and started playing. Weirdly, my DS was freezing, faded health warning screen, and at times just not working. The DS worked randomly after restarting lots of times. I decided to investigate, so I put the MicroSD into the USB and put it into my comp. (I thought Sonic and Mario Olympic games was causing this, even though it wasn't, that was just what I thought), so I went in and checked, and there, in the MicroSD was the virus, Recycler and Autorun. I deleted it and it came back, and I'm guessing if I just reformat the card it will just come back.

The virus is not going!! I tried Avast!, Avira, everything, the Recycler folder is not going. It can't be deleted, and I don't know what to do now. I'm betting on buying a new one tomorrow.

You do reckon that if you format an SD card EVERYTHING will disappear and it'll be the same as a new, fresh and clean SD just bought from your store? There is NO WAY a virus can stay in there after a format, unless it gets infected again AFTER it's been formatted.
Also, what does this Autorun/Recycler "virus" do? I've never heard of it and, since I'm on a linux machine, I'm not fond of virus stuff, however it sounds to me like an autorun function for removable media for windows... @_@ Are you sure it's a virus? Also, have you tried using your DS with other stuff? (Like original games or a GBA cart) Maybe it's your DS that's getting old and the microSD has no fault (or maybe a faulty DSST card? )

EDIT: I've done some research and found this:
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.htm...ssageID=2485609

Try to follow the advice the people give... However from what I could understand it's a virus in your COMPUTER and not in the SD which makes the COMPUTER start a program inside the SD (a trojan) so it shouldn't be corrupting anything inside the DS and shouldn't be the problem for the slowdown of the console.
To try to remove the virus FROM THE SD try to open "autorun" with notepad and delete the lines where it saysCODE [AutoRun]
open=RECYCLER.exe
shellexecute=RECYCLER.exe
shell\Auto\command=RECYCLER.exe
and THEN unplug it (if you don't fix the computer though, this should come back after you plug the USB/SD to the computer).

Linguistically

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Morgawr said:
Linguistically said:

You do reckon that if you format an SD card EVERYTHING will disappear and it'll be the same as a new, fresh and clean SD just bought from your store? There is NO WAY a virus can stay in there after a format, unless it gets infected again AFTER it's been formatted.
Also, what does this Autorun/Recycler "virus" do? I've never heard of it and, since I'm on a linux machine, I'm not fond of virus stuff, however it sounds to me like an autorun function for removable media for windows... @_@ Are you sure it's a virus? Also, have you tried using your DS with other stuff? (Like original games or a GBA cart) Maybe it's your DS that's getting old and the microSD has no fault (or maybe a faulty DSST card? )

Oh my gosh...

Please listen. My DS is about 5 days old. My MicroSD is about 2 days old. THE VIRUS, IN MY MICROSD, CAUSES MY DS TO FREEZE!

I have said this sooooo many times! And when I delete that VIRUS, YES IT IS A VIRUS FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME, it comes back. So if I reformat, it will just come back. No I don't have GBA games, I only have about 7 NDS games and about 3 saves.

Before I saw this virus in my MicroSD, my DS was doing well, but since I found the virus in the MicroSD, it freezes and works by random!

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes it is a virus, please calm down; I know you've got a lot of stick earlier in this thread but Morgawr was on the right track.

Your sister's USB stick was infected from a neighbours computer. Her stick then infected your computer. Now, your computer has spread the virus to your microSD. When you delete the virus on the microSD, it keeps coming back because your computer is still infected, so it is re-infecting the removeable media.

In other words, until you get your computer cleaned up (by following the instructions linked in that post), it will keep infecting the microSD.

As I understand it there are several variants of this trojan/virus/whatever it's called, and for some reason it seems to fool a lot of anti-virus/ anti-malware progams, which don't detect it.
One method to remove one variant of it from your computer is written in the last post on that thread Morgawr linked.
Or there is another set of instructions here.

After the computer is clean you can go about reformatting the microSD (in a safe way avoiding explorer, you might already know how to do this, so as not to re-infect the computer)

Hopefully you get this sorted out.

chrisman01

Trophies
Website
empireofsteel.thecomicseries.com
XP
Country
United States
Linguistically said:
Oh my gosh...

Please listen. My DS is about 5 days old. My MicroSD is about 2 days old. THE VIRUS, IN MY MICROSD, CAUSES MY DS TO FREEZE!

I have said this sooooo many times! And when I delete that VIRUS, YES IT IS A VIRUS FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME, it comes back. So if I reformat, it will just come back. No I don't have GBA games, I only have about 7 NDS games and about 3 saves.

Before I saw this virus in my MicroSD, my DS was doing well, but since I found the virus in the MicroSD, it freezes and works by random!

no offense, but unclog you ears! er...eyes!

FORMATTING is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM DELETING

If you delete something, you will always leave something behind, thus you can get programs that let you get things back that you have "deleted". This virus must be able to revive itself in such a fashion, if you know what I mean.

Formatting is completely different. If you format something, you won't leave anything behind.

Another possibility is that you get the virus back whenever you go online. Where do you download your ROMs and/or other files? Tell us the site, and odds are somebody will know about it.

Format your card, then try a different site for a while and see if the virus comes back.

villadelfia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
This forum is not the best place to ask for virus advice I reckon...

However, have you tried Avira Antivir yet? It's free, but you get a popup once every 24 hours, just an ad for the paid version and it doesn't pop over other programs you may be running. (In all the major virusscanner tests it always gets first or second place in percentage of virusses detected, 99.3% IIRC)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Some websites have full studio rips of production kind of hard to find for obvious reasons