Video shows possible drift issues already arising with the Nintendo Switch Lite

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Sep 24, 2019.

Front-page

The Nintendo Switch has been a success in many ways, but where most can agree that the console has fallen short, is in regards to the Joy-Cons; ever since the launch of the Switch, Joy-Con drift has become a rampant issue. Such problems were assumed to be done away with the Switch Lite, the smaller, more portable oriented variation of the Switch, which lacked the detachable Joy-Cons. However, once a teardown of the new hardware had taken place, it was revealed that the joysticks used within the Switch Lite were almost identical to the problematic ones from the drift-ridden Joy-Cons, meaning that it was entirely possible for users to still experience drift.

Such a problem could be much worse for the Lite revision, as the control sticks are connected to the entire system, and cannot be removed and replaced as easily as they can be with the original Switch. In a video posted by Alexis Javier, he shows off his brand new Switch Lite playing Breath of the Wild, and you can quickly notice that input is being registered on the right joystick, despite the user not pressing any buttons. Now, the video in question could just stem from an unlikely rare, faulty unit. Or, it could have been done in order to raise outrage during the launch week of the Switch Lite. As of the time of writing, this video appears to be the only popular source showing off possible drift with the console, but only time will tell if drift will begin to impact owners of the Switch Lite.

Discussion (183 replies)
  1. DKB

DKB I'll be watching you sleep tonight.

GBAtemp Patron
    DKB is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    Oh, boy. Here comes the People / YouTube channels talking about this shit for 5 years straight until the next console comes out.

2. GalacticWarsHalloween

GalacticWarsHalloween Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2015
    Philippines
    Blue Resonance of the Memory
    I thought the Lite will solve the drifting Joycon issues but for no reason apparently, the problems are still here.

Carnelian, brenokk, THYPLEX and 6 others like this.
  3. banjo2

banjo2 little man

May 31, 2016
    United States
    gamer armchair
    I really hope this is just a defect.

JustANoob;), KlariNoX, Graxer and 2 others like this.
  4. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    If Nintendo managed to make a "revision" console without revising one of their biggest hardware-related mishaps in recent memory, then it's a massive failure that kinda deserves to be raged about for the next 5 years.

5. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Bad enough that it was already a Switch that doesn't switch, but this is exactly why I was wary of the concept of permanently affixed joy-cons.

6. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    Vietnam
    No surprise there consider they use the same joystick as joy-con.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  7. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    A handheld shouldn't even need to use the Joy-Con design. Let alone a fixed one. This is so odd.

jupitteer, 98otiss, Dartz150 and 9 others like this.
  8. Missingphy

Missingphy Pokémon Master, Console Bricker, and more...

Oct 7, 2018
    Mexico
    None of my two consoles (Switch/lite) has presented this issue. Why? Because I don’t use the joycons! I only use my magic ns adapter with a PS4 controller. Profit!

And for those people that will shout at me with the argument NOT EVERYONE HAS THESE KIND OF CONTROLLERS, or THE NINTENDO SWITCH LITE IS A DEDICATED HANDHELD AND THERE IS NO POINT ON USING A PLAYSTAND, GET A REGULAR SWITCH INSTEAD:

1. I’m really sorry for you

2. That is the way I avoid drift

DeoNaught, Gamese, tangotnt and 3 others like this.
  9. xdarkx

xdarkx GBAtemp Fan

May 9, 2007
    Canada
    Best to get that replaced if the Switch Lite is drifting that much already. Then again, you can just think of this as an added challenge to the games you play. :evil:

moneychild likes this.
  10. Missingphy

Missingphy Pokémon Master, Console Bricker, and more...

Oct 7, 2018
    Mexico
    I agree. My friend’s joycons have this issue, and he says he is ore challenging (playing smash bros of course)

11. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Yeah god only knows why they didn't use pro controller-style joysticks. Or just have Hori design the whole controller portion. The DXM splitpad is a huge upgrade for handheld play, I'm loving it.

12. Dax_Fame

Dax_Fame Annoying Member

Jan 16, 2015
    United States
    Mom's house
    This made me laugh with joy! Their "revision" was focused on stopping hackers getting into the Switch and the inevitable piracy to follow.

Seeing how they denied the drift issues for so long I doubt any changes were made to the joystick design that is the SAME in the Switch lite!

I hope this is real and units start dropping like flies. Maybe that will get them to do something about it. It's something they should've addressed long before the lite was even thought of as an idea.

Last edited by Dax_Fame, Sep 24, 2019
  13. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth
    That's why it should've joysticks like Wii U Gamepad.

atoxique, jupitteer, jesus96 and 8 others like this.
  14. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Drift on the right stick causing the camera to rotate ain't nearly as annoying as drift on the left stick causing you to walk off a cliff. But why this has to be at all is the real head-scratcher. Nintendo has decades of experience at making problem free analog sticks. Did Iwata take the secret recipe to the grave or something?

atoxique, ajd4096, nachuz and 5 others like this.
  15. Josshy0125

Josshy0125 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 16, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Idk. I dont believe it. I think people are trying so hard to worry and believe that this issue exists on the switch lite, that they are convincing themselves it still exists. I think its been fixed. It'd be insane for it not to be. And if not "fixed", greatly reduced. Ive had 4 day 1 sets of joycons and none of them drift. So i think 1, its over exaggerated, in terms of its commonality, and 2, i feel people LOOK for things to complain about and try and FIND issues. Im sure its been fixed to a great degree

16. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    What is it about the joycons design that this can't be fixed?

atoxique likes this.
  17. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Addict

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    they can't be bothered to take time to follow the "recipe" , they're too busy working on hula hoops

Last edited by weatMod, Sep 24, 2019
    jesus96, digipimp75, 98otiss and 4 others like this.
  18. Dax_Fame

Dax_Fame Annoying Member

Jan 16, 2015
    United States
    Mom's house
    They don't start drifting out of the box. The ones that came with my console took almost 2 years to start drifting and if was SLIGHT.

Also, I doubt they did anything about it because they pretended it wasn't even a problem until after the lite was in production.

Edit:
    Misunderstood. You're saying you have day 1 Joycons, as in first revision but there still hasn't been any changes to the joystick design so... If it's an issue at all it still is. Of course not all are affected... But perhaps it's only a matter of time.

Last edited by Dax_Fame, Sep 24, 2019
  19. Josshy0125

Josshy0125 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 16, 2019
    United Kingdom
    That's what I'm saying. I don't feel it's as "widespread" as it's advertised to be. As I said, I had MANY joycons, that didn't drift, and I feel those that had the drift with the Lite, they're a very specific, and exclusive group in which they had just gotten unlucky. I'm sure it's been "fixed" (parentheses, meaning, it's been literally 'fixed', but as with any unluckly circumstance, you might find an issue with something, even with it being a 1/1000 chance), and I feel those that report on it, are the incredibly rare ones who have had such an issue, so it's advertised as a widespread issue, because, obviously, the ones complaining about it, are being negative, and that negativity is what makes the news. It prays on worries and fears. I really feel as though it'd be almost even nonsensical for this to still be an issue.