NYXI Nintendo Switch Accessories Impressions

nyxi.JPG

Third-party accessories manufacturer NYXI focuses on Nintendo Switch accessories and we’ve even reviewed their Joy-pad Controller before. This impressions piece will look at another model of that controller as well as the dedicated carry case.

NYXI Joy-pad (Transparent Style version)

When it comes to Joy-Con replacements for the Nintendo Switch, the HORI Split Pad Pro has become something of a standard. With its integrated hand grip and mappable back buttons, it brings added comfort and functionality than the Switch’s original Joy-Cons. Would there be any other way to improve on what HORI’s split controller offers? Yes, says NYXI as they essentially revamp the latter with most of its missing features: wireless support, gyro and rumble. While it lacks NFC and IR functionality, to me, NYXI’s Joy-pad is the real Joy-Con upgrade compared to HORI’s version. It bears an actual D-pad, larger face buttons and triggers that make for a more comfortable gaming experience. Also packing an integrated handgrip and mappable back buttons (which I think is a must-have in controllers going forward), the NYXI Joy-pad really makes for a more compelling package whether you want to play in handheld or tabletop mode (the latter not being possible with the HORI Split Pad Pro). I’d recommend you reading our full review of the NYXI Joy-pad as this is essentially the same product.

How it differs is with its aesthetics. As the name of this version suggests, it bears a retro-styled transparent shell. I’m personally fond of this look and lament its lack of support from first-party manufacturers. I get that it might not be to everyone’s taste but if this style appeals to you, you’ll likely agree that it enhances the look of the Switch. Seeing the innards of the controller while gaming on the go isn’t a common sight these days and this makes the controller stand out.

front 2.jpg

contents.jpg front.jpgback.jpg

Being transparent also helps address the issue of light leak around the triggers as the controller’s insights are also illuminated, adding to the effect. However, I wish that the insights also integrated LEDs of their own for additional lighting effects.

One key difference that I noticed with the transparent version of the NYXI Joy-pad is that the handgrips aren’t textured. The finish is a smooth one and might not be optimal if your hands get sweaty while gaming. It seems like a major omission from NYXI’s part which I hope they correct in future iterations of their controller.

Nevertheless, the grips still provide added comfort while gaming and the back buttons are easily reachable. I really look for these in controllers nowadays as they provide more convenience and ergonomic options to hit keys with minimal reach.

color on 1.jpg

color on 3.jpg color on 2.jpg color on 4.jpg compare.jpg

At £40 at the time of writing on the official website, it is cheaper than alternatives and is well recommended if you’re looking for an upgrade for your Joy-Cons with a standout aesthetic. I don’t mind the lack of an NFC feature myself as I don’t use it but it would be a nice-to-have and would make this controller further stand out from the competition.

NYXI Carrying Case for Wireless Joy-pad

As the Joy-pads are larger than the original Joy-Cons, they might not fit in your Switch’s carry case. Luckily, NYXI has designed a dedicated hard carry case that fits your Switch with the Joy-pad clipped on. It’s of a sturdy enough build that you can safely throw it in your backpack/suitcase without thinking twice; your Switch and Joy-pad will be safe from bumps and even short falls.

While it bears a relatively slim aesthetic, the carrying case has also been designed to hold more than just the Switch and Joy-pad. There are slots for your game cartridges and even storage space for your controller frame for tabletop mode, as well as a mesh pocket for wires and earphones.

fit 2.jpg

fit.jpg

I’m fond of this minimalist aspect of the carry case but the £19 price tag might not be enticing to most. However, there's a new "upgraded" version that NYXI says that the carry case also fits the original Joy-Cons as well as the Steam Deck, so you could consider it as a dual-purpose carry case if you own both handhelds.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quite fond of transparent technology so that definitely looks nice and cool.

If I'd buy, I'd wonder if it'd break after a couple of months (like it happens with PowerA controllers).

Anyway, third party makers still have a year or so before the successor of the Switch is released so there's money to be made.

ertaboy356b

Trophies
XP
Country
How's the feel? Is it the same with Split Pad Pro. I'd like to own a wireless Split Pad Pro so I can play on the flip grip comfortably.

Prans

Geek, gamer, human
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
How's the feel? Is it the same with Split Pad Pro. I'd like to own a wireless Split Pad Pro so I can play on the flip grip comfortably.
Textured grips feel missing but they are comfortable to hold, I'd say more than the official Joy-Cons as NYXI's has the integrated handgrips.

I haven't used the Split Pad Pro myself but our reviewer KiiWIi did and compares it in his review here.

Reactions: Marc_LFD and KiiWii

Mr Skinner

Trophies
Website
www.nerdfy.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
It is undeniable that the transparent finish is sexy, the best finish I've ever seen. But my SNES days leave me the indelible impression that these transparent plastics are extremely fragile to drops.... My 1994's SNES turbo controllers cracked at the first drop.

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Anyway, third party makers still have a year or so before the successor of the Switch is released so there's money to be made.
People still purchase "new" 3rd party NES controllers. Whether your random guess about the timing of a new Switch successor is right or wrong, there will be money to be made for anyone making decent Joycon replacements for decades to come.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People still purchase "new" 3rd party NES controllers. Whether your random guess about the timing of a new Switch successor is right or wrong, there will be money to be made for anyone making decent Joycon replacements for decades to come.
Joy-Cons sure, but for a trad Switch controller the Pro Controller is the best.

Hori used to be amazing... Not anymore. :(

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it looks pretty cool, I'll admit that. Also, $50 is not bad, considering Nintendo charges more for their Joy-Cons ($79.99 a pair). My only concern would be that they're too big, especially for playing games like Arms.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Opinions, but I largely prefer 8bitdo's over the Pro controller any day
The SNES Style one? That's a great controller not sure if as good as the Pro Controller.

Calling it "Pro" is a bit misleading considering it doesn't even have analog triggers nor Nintendo implemented that system. GCN and Wii had it.

Fyrus

Artilleur Carmin
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The SNES Style one? That's a great controller not sure if as good as the Pro Controller.

Calling it "Pro" is a bit misleading considering it doesn't even have analog triggers nor Nintendo implemented that system. GCN and Wii had it.
It's pretty much as good starting from the 30+ series and the last one even has mappable back buttons, that's something that just changes life in some games like Monster Hunter

CloudStrife190100

HaxCommunity
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was looking at the nyxi control pads via their site. Could of got some for £45 and then you're talking about £8 postage plus the 10-20 days waiting for arrival to the UK.

I found some similar that were on amazon called the nexigo for £50 and arrived within one day.... I believe they are the same manufacturer but without the nyxi logo on the joycon holder

So far they are pretty impressive and i love how it feels in my big donkey hands 👐😂

Attachments

• 20220611_163434.jpg
    20220611_163434.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 50
Reactions: Prans

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over