Hacking Video mode

TSPhoenix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Do homebrew programs have the ability to change the video mode of the Wii? For example the PAL60 emulators, is that hard coded, will it be possible to make an emulator where you can set the video mode from within the program by holding B when its loading ala GameCube games.

Also I'm not sure about the specifics of the Wii's GPU, can it be forced to output resolutions such as 240x180 or 1280x720? If anyone has a link to more specific info on this that would be great.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Have you seen the latest genesis and master system emulator for wii on tehskeen ?

Both have autodetection for the videomode, you can change the videomode (for pal users) to pal 50/60 or auto from within the emulator)

I think it's that what you mean.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think he means adjusting the resolution...

The answer is debatable.

If the Wii's GPU is hardcoded for certain resolutions, then no. If not, then it really depends on what you're intending to do.

For the purposes of emulation, 480P is excessive for every console that can be emulated so far.

TSPhoenix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah thats what I wanted to know, whether the GPU is locked to certain resolutions or not. I'm guessing that it is, but it'd be nice to know for sure.

480p is plenty for emulation (except N64, but I don't see upscaled N64 on Wii ever working well) I agree, but for things that are mostly text and images and require no 3D processing grunt the Wii would easily be able to handle processing a high-res image, but its pointless if it can't output it.

Also low-res output would be nice for use with capture cards and custom displays as most older systems are just stretched to 480i/p.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, even the N64 is only capable of 640x480.

Upscaling is possible, but without higher resolution textures or filters, you're going to end up with ugly interpolation.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc