Video Game Talk: What is Your Opinion on The Romance and Marriage Concept in Video Games?

Gremelia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been wondering this for a while but for certain games that offer you to engage in a romance or in general befriend characters/partners- I've always wondered what peoples' opinion on this are.

For example like in Mass Effect Dragon Age and FE Awakening and Fates, the Fable Games, Harvest Moon/ Stardew Valley etc.

So like what are your opinions on that concept? In a gameplay, character and storywise

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think I have ever seen it done well in games. Seldom is it done badly but... perfunctory is usually how I would phrase that one. Indeed it is somewhat rare for a general lust scene to do be done well, never mind something more long term.

I am not entirely sure why as games have told stories of any number of other things that other media has done well but at this point if I pick any random trashy fantasy that I otherwise so enjoy I will probably get something better, indeed probably even a bodice ripper type book will do better still. I suppose in some ways it is hard to make it mechanically resonate or be that descriptive without exposition or text dumps to the point of boredom.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I’m a sucker for the little bits and pieces of choosing a character to romance. In harvest moon, the characters tend to lack anything further than just basic personality traits and likes/dislikes, but I still enjoy trying to throw gifts at a cool/cute looking character just to have them around.

I liked how FE:A tied the romance into the gameplay, with all the different stats you could get. You could play shipping anime waifu sim 2014, or soldier eugenics sim 2014.

The writing of these said romances is usually a little weak, barring visual novels/JRPGs. Ive never been able to get into BioWare’s assortment of RPGs, so I can’t comment on those.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
they are dumb: in every RPG games we have to grind for EXP and money to make our char little bit stronger, now we even have to get this weird and unnecessary mechanic like in FE Awakening. it's the only way to ''create'' powerful soldiers, and if something went wrong the 2nd generation is screwed and this will inevitably make some dlcs quests literally impossible to finish.

FE Awakening is the only one with said game mechanic i've ever played, anything else similar worth to try?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: so am i so it makes sense +1