Hacking Venus and Braves

BluWacky

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello GBATemp!

As a way of wasting time for a few hours I started translating Venus and Braves.

Except I'm having to do it as I go along while playing it, because I know a sweet load of nothing about hacking (well, I once somehow managed to do a script dump of Sigma Harmonics on the DS, but that was several years ago so I have forgotten how I did it, and the whole vertical text thing with that made me cry so I stopped paying it any attention). I've managed to work out - I think - that the script files are contained in the DISCIMAGE.BIN file as I can find the textual references to the various files within that by poking at it with a hex editor, but beyond that it's completely lost on me; it's probably compressed somehow or whatever, but seriously I just have no idea what I'd be doing. I haven't checked the PS2 version but I assume it's something horrifically similar, if not worse.

Without a script dump, however, this is just going to take FOREVER, leaving aside my slooooooooow pace of work. While I know there's an existing textual translation of the first six chapters of the game, I'm a little dubious of its accuracy in places (and that's saying something coming from me...) and it doesn't translate any of the tutorial text, menus, monster descriptions etc.

How does one go about finding someone who can extract text from such things? This isn't me going LET'S DO A TRANSLATION PATCH WOOP WOOP WOOP - I am seriously slow, still studying Japanese so spend more time looking up grammar and vocab than anything else, and have a busy day job. This is just me asking nicely in the first place I could think of to try and find someone who might be able to go "oh, that's super easy, do this!" or "what do you know, I already have a script dump lying around" or whatever. Google has provided me with the text of the various Well-Varius Prophecies and a few isolated lines of dialogue here and there, but not much else!

If there's another forum (maybe romhacking.net?) where I'd be better off asking for help then please just let me know.

Cheers!

Attached picture is to prove I have done something other than crib Random Elf's ancient translation!

Attachments

• lookseenotlyingvenusandbraves.png
    lookseenotlyingvenusandbraves.png
    151.7 KB · Views: 528

bloodfalco

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
romhacking is better bet bro. Because the translation scene for psp in gbatemp is already a yesterday news (probably) CMIIW

denim-br

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello @BluWacky.

I know this post is very old, but do you still want to translate the text of this game? I managed to hack this game on the ps2 version, although I think it would be better to switch to the psp version because the psp debugger is more suitable for romhacking.

I started hacking the game when I found out that there was an English script on gamefaqs. But I gave up when I found out that the script was incomplete.

If you have knowledge of Japanese language and want to help with a new translation project, please let me know.

PS: I have some images but I can't post them yet here because I am a newcomer here...

PS2: I just noticed that I can post images. So, here they are:

gsdx_20190727235947.png
gsdx_20190728192806.png
gsdx_20190729194410.png

Last edited by denim-br,
Reactions: anball and Malckyor

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: +2