Various minor issues

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Acetic Orcein, Mar 7, 2010.

Mar 7, 2010

Various minor issues by Acetic Orcein at 2:03 PM (1,047 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Acetic Orcein
    OP

Member Acetic Orcein GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Bonjour everyone!

I'm still experiencing blue screens (from my other thread) but anyway I'll keep that updated.
    This post is more for some minor issues I'm having. Particularly with the use of Java on Windows 7 64 bit (and Firefox 3.6). I think I've literally tried everything! You know going to the control panel, selecting java, making sure mozilla is checked. Some people have suggested disabling 'next generation support'.

I've went into the add on/plugin section of the firefox browser and the correct plugins are enabled.

I've looked in the firefox plugin folder, and the correct java plugin things are there.

I've tried using IE (just for the java only! I promise!) or Chrome as a subsitute. But Chrome crashes upon trying to load java applets, and IE tells me:
    'I have the wrong version of java, would you like us to reopen this page with the right version of Java?' Which leads to a cycle of the same message. This has led to numerous uninstallations and reinstallations of different combinations of java. But... to no avail!

In addition, after fiddling around with Java, I noticed I am now unable to sign into MSN- error message 80048820. This is the message where it mentions 'improper firewall/proxy settings'. The issue lies with 'key ports' apparently. Anyway I've googled this. Many common solutions involve making sure the time and date settings are correct. Going into IE, making sure 'server certificate revocation' is unchecked, making sure ssl2 and ssl3 are checked. Also making sure you're not doing anything weird with proxies. Reregistering security SSL libraries. Disabling/uninstalling firewalls. Uninstalling/Reinstalling MSN. I've tried a registry cleaner also (CCleaner). Needless to say I've tried this all!

I can log into MSN on other computers in my house. I can also log into my email account online on the problem computer. I'm guessing the issue might lie with the router (which is an Orange Livebox- Inventel) or my ASUS Wireless card. Does anyone have any thoughts upon this issue?

Thank you very much for your time!
    I'd probably get solutions from the windows live messenger support team? But I'm actually unsure of how to contact them lol. Regardless, I still have this Java issue to tackle!

Thank you very much again.

2. ddetkowski

Member ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Re-install Windows?
    and is it updated?
    If all else fails, wipe it clean, start fresh, and use a GOOD firewall / Anti-virus.
    I use Norton 360, no problems ever.

3. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    This looks like a job for Rydian [​IMG]

Oh please.

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

For the java issue, go to Programs and Features in the control panel and uninstall everything java (including all the multiple versions), then install the latest version from the Sun site.

Control panel, internet settings, connection, screenshot?

5. Acetic Orcein
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ok, I'll try this again!

([​IMG] oh wow! I can add attachments, when did this happen?)

I'm running 64 bit windows so... should I just install the 64 bit version?
    32 bit version?

Or both?

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    If you're using the 64-bit version of firefox, the 64-bit one.

7. Acetic Orcein
    OP

United Kingdom
    I'm quite simply an idiot. I've been using normal Firefox as opposed to 'Namoroka'. Java is fine now. Thank you [​IMG]
    I apologise for using up your valuable time.

And I said I 'tried everything'. I lied [​IMG]
    I'm sorry!

*cries*