Valve announces Steam OS, Steam Machines, and Steam Controller

GBA rocks

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't see this controller allowing super fast korean-grade micro-managing in RTS games and old fashioned fragging-like-it's-1999 in FPS games. Whoever thinks this is delusional.

Still, very interesting and exciting. It's a pity they haven't find a way to implement a d-pad too. Maybe in the next iteration? Maybe with ejectable click-in modules? (swap out the 2 touchwheels and put in the d-pad module and the "thumb ABXY" module)

prototypes.jpg

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
Ooh...nice find. I love it! :D

It certainly convinced me. While I reserve my doubts to have a true replacement for keyboard and mouse, it looks quite a bit over traditional gamepad controllers. :)

While i was watching it, i did think to myself "i wonder how long he had to practice with it before he became so proficient"

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Long, probably. I remember when I played UT2004, it took me nearly a week to go from "incredibly much worse" to "a slightly bit better than before" when I made changes to my mouse accuracy or started using a N52. And that's child's play compared to a change like this. But that's not the point: gamepad controllers aren't criticized for being different but for their...clunkyness, by lack of a better word. It can either be high sensitive or low, but even with some extra axis inbetween, it just doesn't compare to a mouse you can swing hard and back to very slow in a fraction of a second. In that sense, the "floatiness" of the portal 2 controls were actually a good thing, IMO. I rather have a higher learning curve if it means the controller has the sort of flexibility that doesn't mean that games themselves have to make sacrifices (e.g. auto-aim).

virgildraco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
While i was watching it, i did think to myself "i wonder how long he had to practice with it before he became so proficient"

Well, he is one of the designers, so he can be very proficient, the question is, will it be that easy for us to master that controler or not.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm definitely going to get one of these when they come out. I think I'm probably not going to bother with PS4 or XBox One this generation. I signed up to Steam a while ago but I've only bought 2 games so far, and that's because gaming on my laptop isn't very appealing.

Also... wah! I need more fwends to have a chance to participate in the beta. If anyone would like to add me, my user ID is darth_stroyer. Pwease add me cos I'm so vewy wonewy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30