USPS announces no mail on Saturdays.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wouldn't this put MORE strain on the postal service?
You have one less day per week to actually deliver stuff now.

All they're stopping (by the sounds of it) is mail delvery on saturday. Which isn't exactly a big deal if things carry to monday. It's just mail afterall.

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
NO! NO! Gah! I buy/sell so much online, and now I've gotta wait a whole 2 days in a row for shipping?

What happened to "Rain, sleet, snow or hail, we'll deliver all your mail!?

That was for the pony express!

Quote form Wikipedia follows "This phrase was a translation by Prof. George H. Palmer, Harvard University, from an ancient Greek work of Herodotus describing the Persian system of mounted postal carriers c. 500 B.C.E."

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I suppose I would rather have less USPS than no USPS, but I wish it'd be a day like Wednesday. If something would arrive at the local post office at 2pm on a Friday, I wouldn't get it until 3pm Monday!

EDIT: Whew, looks like package delivery isn't affected. I rarely care about regular mail tho.

P

pasc

Seems like USPS is becoming the equivalent to the german "Hermes" post servic.

DHL all the way for me. They are/seem reliable till today.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What? Americans got regular mail deliveries on Saturdays?

I agree. We haven't had postal service on Saturdays for as long as I can remember and Canada and we have survived. That said, stuff still gets shipped, shipping is a 24/7 service, you just won't get it until Monday if it arrives at the depot on a Saturday.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No surprise here. The media has been going on about how the gov't was in talks of removing Sat. from the delivery schedule. It's no big deal really. I expected them to also close the Post Office on Saturday as well but that's good they kept it open since that's when I have time to ship things out.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think what they should do is make you pay extra for Saturday deliveries, that'd be more helpful, no?

"WE ARE HOLDING YOUR PACKAGE HOSTAGE.. FOR TWO BILLION DOLLARS!"

They probably have to pay people overtime to do Saturday deliveries. Carriers work 8 hour days and if they are working 5 days a week, they are getting paid overtime every Saturday. 2 billion a year is a lot of money if you consider how many people USPS employs for delivery.

No surprise here. The media has been going on about how the gov't was in talks of removing Sat. from the delivery schedule. It's no big deal really. I expected them to also close the Post Office on Saturday as well but that's good they kept it open since that's when I have time to ship things out.
In most countries, the post office is open on a Saturday, it wouldn't make sense to close the post office on Saturdays as that would negatively impact a lot of people.

DAR CRO

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The USPS doesn't get government money and yet has to follow the government's rules. What kind of corporation or agency has to prepay retirement and other benefits about four decades in advance? How can you NOT lose money with a plan like that? Congress did this to them and they don't seem to care. This is what the postal service has been reduced to.

Reactions: urbanman2004

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't know whether to go with, "Oh great - the government's gone postal!" or "This is a pretty lousy red letter day.", so I'll try both.

Also, since a lot of people seemed to miss this, packages will still be delivered on Saturdays, just not regular mail (letters, magazines, etc.). Relax.
Good, good. I was a bit worried because I just placed an order I'm praying will arrive before Valentine's day and it's a bit worrying that it'd skip saturdays.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
That makes no sense. You will just be getting the bills and paper spam on Monday. It's not like the bills and paper spam will suddenly vanish just because it isn't delivered on Saturday.
Saturday is a precious day. Lets save it for drinking and merriment, not bill opening. :P
As for Mondays? Don't care, they're usually lousy anyway. Perfect day to open a dead tree's worth of bad news.

Reactions: Brian117

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, Hey