Hacking Using Powersaves 3DS as a DRIVER to put stuff on a 3DS game card?

DarkFlare69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm semi-noob, so idk if this is a logical idea or not.

Could we use the hardware from Powersaves 3DS but make new software that allows us to put stuff on a game card, OTHER THAN saves? Like ROMs? So pretty much what I'm asking is: Does the Powersaves hardware have the ability to do something of that nature, other than put saves onto the cartridge?

ChrisRX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The answer lies in the word ROM itself. Inside a game cartridge is a ROM chip which stands for Read-Only Memory. Because it's Read Only that means you can't write any data onto it, you can only read what was written at the factory.

The save is stored on an EEPROM which is a type of memory that can be written as well as read. This is where the saves are stored and that's why you can overwrite them.

So in short, no you can't overwrite a ROM chip in a 3DS cart because it is "Read Only"

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
The answer lies in the word ROM itself. Inside a game cartridge is a ROM chip which stands for Read-Only Memory. Because it's Read Only that means you can't write any data onto it, you can only read what was written at the factory.

The save is stored on an EEPROM which is a type of memory that can be written as well as read. This is where the saves are stored and that's why you can overwrite them.

So in short, no you can't overwrite a ROM chip in a 3DS cart because it is "Read Only"

how about pokemon cartriges?

ChrisRX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
how about pokemon cartriges?

I believe Pokemon uses CARD2 cartridges, aka. "hybrid cartridges" which most of the ROM chip is read-only but contains a very small (I think 1MB) section of EEPROM to store the save in the same chip.
This is just remembering off the top of my head though so if I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER