3DS Microsd Card went Raw and Idk what to do

Edclusive

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so basically I haven’t used my homebrewed 3ds in months and yesterday when I decided to use it it said “Could not detect an SD Card. The software on the SD Card could not be displayed.” So I plugged the SD card into my PC and when I used the chkdsk command it said my SD card went Raw. So I used the programs TestDisk, EaseUs, and Disk Drill to attempt to recover it. Unfortunately, it couldn’t recover anything. So I’m wondering if there are any other free programs that may work or if I have to wipe the SD card (which i dont wanna do because i have alot of data on). Or if maybe there is another thing I could do to recover my files.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Ok so basically I haven’t used my homebrewed 3ds in months and yesterday when I decided to use it it said “Could not detect an SD Card. The software on the SD Card could not be displayed.” So I plugged the SD card into my PC and when I used the chkdsk command it said my SD card went Raw. So I used the programs TestDisk, EaseUs, and Disk Drill to attempt to recover it. Unfortunately, it couldn’t recover anything. So I’m wondering if there are any other free programs that may work or if I have to wipe the SD card (which i dont wanna do because i have alot of data on). Or if maybe there is another thing I could do to recover my files.
You'll probably be better to Just reformat it to fat32 if you are able to, reinstall AtmosphereNX, Hekate and sig patches and emunand (if you are using that). When you format it - use fat32 as it creates a spare file allocation table, exfat doesn't have any built in corruption protection.

• Haha
Reactions: BigOnYa

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do a h2testw on the card, if it fail the test get a new card.
Post automatically merged:

You'll probably be better to Just reformat it to fat32 if you are able to, reinstall AtmosphereNX, Hekate and sig patches and emunand (if you are using that). When you format it - use fat32 as it creates a spare file allocation table, exfat doesn't have any built in corruption protection.

He has a 3DS.

Reactions: BigOnYa and CoolMe

Edclusive

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do a h2testw on the card, if it fail the test get a new card.

He has a 3DS.
for some reason I cannot do a h2testw test on the card because everytime it gives me an error that says “Error accessing target.”

Edclusive

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
'So, standard procedure: copy everything off (preferably with Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier), format the card, test the empty card with h2testw, and then copy everything back if the test is okay."
So I just tried copying it but it gave me message saying “Copied Files: 0” and when I went to go to check downloads (which is what I put as my Target) nothing was there

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
So I just tried copying it but it gave me message saying “Copied Files: 0” and when I went to go to check downloads (which is what I put as my Target) nothing was there
If your card turned RAW, that likely means it got corrupt to the point of the entire filesystem being unreadable.
You may want to use a tool like Disk Drill (sadly paid.. but yarrg... matey..) to attempt recovering data from it, but either way you're going to need to format it as FAT32 (with guiformat, for example) then test it empty with h2testw to ensure it isn't failing.

Edclusive

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If your card turned RAW, that likely means it got corrupt to the point of the entire filesystem being unreadable.
You may want to use a tool like Disk Drill (sadly paid.. but yarrg... matey..) to attempt recovering data from it, but either way you're going to need to format it as FAT32 (with guiformat, for example) then test it empty with h2testw to ensure it isn't failing.
Ok but if I format my SD card with Guiformat will it erase all of the data?

Check to see if you can format it under tool like Minitool partition wizard.
Sorry I never saw this message😭 but if I format it using Minitool partition wizard, will it erase all of the Sd Card’s data?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is no one else reading the actual post..?

So I plugged the SD card into my PC and when I used the chkdsk command it said my SD card went Raw. So I used the programs TestDisk, EaseUs, and Disk Drill to attempt to recover it. Unfortunately, it couldn’t recover anything.
If none of those three programs can do anything, then you're screwed – assuming you're using them correctly. You can try a professional recovery service if you really want to, but you can expect to pay a lot of money for that.

ETA: If you're using a micro SD card in a full-size SD card adapter, then the adapter might be faulty and you can try using a different adapter, or a reader that has an actual micro SD slot.

Otherwise, get a new SD card and start over with https://3ds.hacks.guide/restoring-updating-cfw . You probably don't want to keep using this card if it's already failed, and new cards are cheap enough. Just make sure you test it with h2testw before you start using it.

Edclusive

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is no one else reading the actual post..?

If none of those three programs can do anything, then you're screwed – assuming you're using them correctly. You can try a professional recovery service if you really want to, but you can expect to pay a lot of money for that.

ETA: If you're using a micro SD card in a full-size SD card adapter, then the adapter might be faulty and you can try using a different adapter, or a reader that has an actual micro SD slot.

Otherwise, get a new SD card and start over with https://3ds.hacks.guide/restoring-updating-cfw . You probably don't want to keep using this card if it's already failed, and new cards are cheap enough. Just make sure you test it with h2testw before you start using it.
I followed a tutorial on Youtube for most of the programs I used. So I don’t think that I may have done the steps wrong. So at this point I may have to buy a new SD Card and start over😭 (unless their something else I can do which at this point im willing to try any free program to get the data back)

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States

Sorry I never saw this message😭 but if I format it using Minitool partition wizard, will it erase all of the Sd Card’s data?
Yes? Obviously?? Formatting will erase ALL data on the SD card, making it basically like new (besides wear and tear, but I doubt that card has enough to be damaged beyond usability) so you can then verify it with h2testw. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do, but don't give up hope.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes it does, but you can't access the data right now so it is quite pointless of data recovery, even if you data from data recovery software you probably won't be able to use it with the 3ds.

Edclusive

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it does, but you can't access the data right now so it is quite pointless of data recovery, even if you data from data recovery software you probably won't be able to use it with the 3ds.
yeah i just formatted my sd card and checked it with h2testw so now ill just have to re-do the process of homebrewing my 3ds. And find a way to see if maybe i put back-up saves of my games somewhere.

Last edited by Edclusive,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ill just have to re-do the process of homebrewing my switch
Wasn't this about your 3DS..? You don't have to re-do the whole process; just follow the link in my last post.

Also, like I said: even if h2testw says your card is okay, do you really want to take the chance that it will fail again!? Especially when a new card is cheap?

Edclusive

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry i meant 3ds

also yeah i cant get a microsd card at the moment so i have to take the chances. also thanks i will follow the steps on the link

anotherthing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once you get the new SD card set up with the link that Kwyjor provided, you should probably copy all the files from that SD card to somewhere on your computer's harddrive. That way, if the card fails, it'll be as easy as just copying those files over to the new SD card. Keep in mind, though, those files and SD card set up will only work for that particular 3DS. I back up my SD cards once every two months or so.

• Love
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
SDs and flash sticks go bad all the time no matter if being used a lot or not used at all – no matter if cheap or expensive. They are not reliable data storage.

Once an SD decides to give up… Sadly the only thing that can be said is in my signature. (No ill intend – this signature is meant as a friendly reminder)

Professional recovery often fails as well and has only a chance of succeeding when not trying yourself a lot (especially any write attempts must be avoided). If trying anything I would try to copy a failing medium on sector level and work only with the resulting image file (if anything can be read at all).

anotherthing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I probably should have said that you should back up everything to a magnetic media harddrive. SSDs and the like have a very short lifespan due to a limited amount of read and writes.

SDs and flash sticks go bad all the time no matter if being used a lot or not used at all – no matter if cheap or expensive. They are not reliable data storage.

This is true. Though, I will say you're probably better off paying a little extra and getting a better card since the really cheap cards fail pretty fast. If you decide to get one of those 500in1 cartridges from Amazon or eBay or whereever, those typically come with really crappy SD cards. Back those things up as soon as you get them and copy that information back to a SanDisk card or similar quality card. My stepson got one of those cartridges, and I backed up his card as soon as it came in. I told him he'd want to get a decent card to put that information back on. He decided not to get a new card and the SD card it came on failed about a month later.

If I hadn't backed it up, he would have been screwed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Z like Sunday morning