Hacking Using original cartridge save in Sky3DS

UsualNoise

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got my Sky3DS today and everything works EXCEPT getting my original cart saves to work. I've tried all sorts of suggestions found on these forums to no avail.

To get my .SAV files I used the Gateway launcher.dat exploit. However, I can't seem to get Sky3DS to use those saves. A couple threads indicated that they are incompatible. If so, is there any way to use your original save file in Sky3DS? If not, that pretty much makes my purchase a waste of money since I have lots of progress on lots of my 3DS cartridges that I want to keep.

Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated. I have no problem downloading / using additional tools if the saves need to be processed further.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wondering the same thing. I just order a sky3ds and was playing on transferring some games over.
I got the save backup dongle and wonder if that will work. I guess ill find out in a few days.

UsualNoise

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That tutorial seems specific to a CARD2 game. Most / all of mine are CARD1 (e.g. Mario Kart 7), not sure this would help.

UsualNoise

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I converted my Mario Kart 7 ROM to Card2 using the Sky3DScTool, but Powersave didn't recognize the Sky3DS cartridge. It just kept flashing between insert cartridge and the regular menu. I tried the same procedure with Mario Kart 7 as Card1 and got the same results. So, this strategy of copying a retail cartridge save to Sky3DS doesn't work.

Does anyone else have suggestions for getting original saves on Sky3DS? Can I modify the save ripped from the cartridge via Gateway's launcher.dat in some way that would allow Sky3DS to import it via the Restore Save feature? I'm truly surprised there is no straightforward way of getting this done.

I should also mention, this is with a blue button Sky3DS.

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I converted my Mario Kart 7 ROM to Card2 using the Sky3DScTool, but Powersave didn't recognize the Sky3DS cartridge. It just kept flashing between insert cartridge and the regular menu. I tried the same procedure with Mario Kart 7 as Card1 and got the same results. So, this strategy of copying a retail cartridge save to Sky3DS doesn't work.

Does anyone else have suggestions for getting original saves on Sky3DS? Can I modify the save ripped from the cartridge via Gateway's launcher.dat in some way that would allow Sky3DS to import it via the Restore Save feature? I'm truly surprised there is no straightforward way of getting this done.

I should also mention, this is with a blue button Sky3DS.

Have you tried my tool. That should be able to rip the original save from the cart, though I'm not sure if it would work. We need to test.

thaikhoa

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
1. Get another SD then and install CFW.
2. Install Mario Kart as CIA.
3. Insert Mario Kart 7 gamecard then import save to CIA Mario Kart 7 via SaveDataFilter (CIA)
4. Insert Sky3DS running Mario Kart 7 then export save from CIA Mario Kart 7 to Sky3DS via SaveDataFilter.

That should work well.

Jim~

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

UsualNoise

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried my tool. That should be able to rip the original save from the cart, though I'm not sure if it would work. We need to test.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is your tool?

Also, I don't have a Gateway so I'm limited to what I can do with Sky3DS and any PC tools that might be available. I do have a 3DS below 9.2 so I can use launcher.dat to rip saves / games.

Sharpzz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Would this be possible:

Dump original rom from retail cart with Gateway Launcher w/o Gateway.

Then use Powersaves to backup the save file.

Then Write the dump original rom into Sky3ds.

Then with the dump original rom loaded into Sky3ds, restore the save file on Powersaves.

I only suggest ths since it would still be using the same header of the original cart, correct?

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well i have my sky3ds and Datel 3DS PowerSaves Pro on the way. Should be here sometime next week.
Ill try out some stuff and see what i can get working.
I remember back in my gba days i got some stuff to work by converting save and etc....

but it seems like the 3ds handles saves just a bit different.

But is it even possible to inject save data while using sky3ds?

UsualNoise

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sharpzz (and everyone else): thanks, but that is EXACTLY what I tried. I thought it would fix my issue. It doesn't work because when inserting the Sky3DS with the game loaded this happens (as posted earlier in this thread): "It just kept flashing between insert cartridge and the regular menu." That's why I ordered the Powersaves unit in the first place, but unfortunately it does not recognize the Sky3DS correctly. For whatever reason it just doesn't 'take'.

Thus, anything involving Powersaves is a no-go (at least for me, sounds like we'll have other folks trying soon). I need another option.

D

Deleted User

Powersaves doesn't work, sky3ds needs the 3ds to run, if you plug it into the powersaves hardware it won't read it.

Retro_Mod_Gamer

Niche List Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1. Get another SD then and install CFW.
2. Install Mario Kart as CIA.
3. Insert Mario Kart 7 gamecard then import save to CIA Mario Kart 7 via SaveDataFilter (CIA)
4. Insert Sky3DS running Mario Kart 7 then export save from CIA Mario Kart 7 to Sky3DS via SaveDataFilter.

That should work well.
Did this method work?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all