Website
Visit site
XP
Country
custom firmware = flashing your DVD drive to play backups
mod chip = flashing your DVD drive to play backups

There is no difference, other than flashing custom firmware yourself is free
haha

Also... apparently non-modded consoles are getting banned too (they say on forums)... so how are they gonna get round this? or do you think they're lying?

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The funniest thing is its the actual people paying £40 a year that are getting banned from live. These people will probably be buying the content on live as well. The people that buy nothing and either have a silver or arn't connected on xbox live, at the moment can still play copies. Can't remember where I read it but someone was saying that they'd wait till something like the halo 3 beta was released. This was when they did the new firmware update last week and everyone thought they were safe.

iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah but from a business point of view, it's better to ban consoles that aren't making any money from games.

You say "banned consoles still earn from XBL"... sure. But what about the people with retail games and XBL. I'm not dissing the hacking community, but good job on Microsoft's part in my opinion.

p.s. they did this for halo2 anyways... old news

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
One of the conspiracy theories is C4E who wrote the new xtreme 5.3 firmware, knew about microsoft banning after the new update. This was a week before the update was launched. 2 weeks before they started banning. The rumour is he was paid by microsoft to write the new firmware so the xbox 360 could easily be flagged.

I have upgrade to xtreme 5.3 BTW. It would serve microsoft right if everyone bought a PS3. All its going to do is boost xbox 360 sales as everyone will be buying a second unmodded 360.

EDIT: Are the people that have been playing on halo 3 beta the only ones to be banned?

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
get two consoles!
biggrin.gif

- 1 modded one
- 1 legit/"virgin" one with which you use teh XBox Live

... o wait
tpi.gif

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wow, they have just shot themselves in the foot... Predictable, maybe necessary from their point of view. It could have quite a negative impact on the 360's position in the market, though. It'll be interesting to see how this one works out.

iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
One of the conspiracy theories is C4E who wrote the new xtreme 5.3 firmware, knew about microsoft banning after the new update. This was a week before the update was launched. 2 weeks before they started banning. The rumour is he was paid by microsoft to write the new firmware so the xbox 360 could easily be flagged.

That is BS, commodore wouldn't do that, he's been releasing the firmware since the original versions. Anyways, the firmware he released (v5.3) contained code to prevent detection via jitter. It's just that MS didn't use this method of detection.

I have upgrade to xtreme 5.3 BTW. It would serve microsoft right if everyone bought a PS3. All its going to do is boost xbox 360 sales as everyone will be buying a second unmodded 360.

I find it fustrating that anyone who mods their console and get caught out complain. I mean, you knew what you were getting yourself into. Playing modded consoles online is even more moronic.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Those being banned for playing with modded consoles asked for it. You take your chances when you modify your console and you also take the consequences.

iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wow, they have just shot themselves in the foot... Predictable, maybe necessary from their point of view. It could have quite a negative impact on the 360's position in the market, though. It'll be interesting to see how this one works out.

Why? Most Xbox360s aren't modded. The only downside is that the banning system was possibly flawed, leading to unmodded consoles getting banned. But if you hacked your console and got banned... what is the first thing you would say to MS on their forums?

"oh sorry, I haven't touched my 360"... yeah yeah, BS. Everyone know's a good bullshitter reverts to denial as the last ditch effort.

You can't blame microsoft for wanting to protect their product to capitalise profit. And before you rant on about paying XBL subscriptions, read my previous posts.

Xeijin

Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
I have upgrade to xtreme 5.3 BTW. It would serve microsoft right if everyone bought a PS3. All its going to do is boost xbox 360 sales as everyone will be buying a second unmodded 360.

I find it fustrating that anyone who mods their console and get caught out complain. I mean, you knew what you were getting yourself into. Playing modded consoles online is even more moronic.

QUOTE(AshuraZero @ May 18 2007, 12:59 AM)Those being banned for playing with modded consoles asked for it. You take your chances when you modify your console and you also take the consequences.

Agreed.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have upgrade to xtreme 5.3 BTW.  It would serve microsoft right if everyone bought a PS3.  All its going to do is boost xbox 360 sales as everyone will be buying a second unmodded 360.

Those being banned for playing with modded consoles asked for it. You take your chances when you modify your console and you also take the consequences.

Agreed.

I'm not complaining. Wouldn't bother me if I was banned as I rarely play it and I'm only on xbox live silver. Once you mod your console you have to deal with the consequences.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Man I was about to update my firmware tonight, now I'm thinking I might revert to the original firmware.

Haven't had my box plugged in to LIVE for 2 days so I don't know what my current status is, hopefully all is good.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you can read the topic on xbox-scene. The site is so busy you can't get on. Someone has flashed back to the original firmware and still got banned. Maybe microsoft looked at the hacked firmware at one time, when you change it they know its hacked firmware. Some people have also been banned who haven't modded their xbox360. Rumour has it that these are xbox 360s that have been repaired by microsoft. Not everyone has been banned, maybe its just a matter of time.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you can read the topic on xbox-scene. The site is so busy you can't get on. Someone has flashed back to the original firmware and still got banned. Maybe microsoft looked at the hacked firmware at one time, when you change it they know its hacked firmware. Some people have also been banned who haven't modded their xbox360. Rumour has it that these are xbox 360s that have been repaired by microsoft. Not everyone has been banned, maybe its just a matter of time.

Not good....

Oh well, looks like I'll be off to grab a new console then.
I own like 20 original games on the 360 cause I always buy the games that I enjoy, very disappointing if I'm banned.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro