Using an iMac as a monitor for my PC - is it possible?

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a late 2012 iMac that I love, but with my gaming PC...I really don't need it. But I need a second monitor. With the iMac being an all in one computer with a super nice 1440p screen, I thought, maybe it's possible to use it as a external monitor? I know it has TDM for other macs, but is there a way to rig it up to display as a second monitor for my Windows 10 PC?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a slightly old machine around here (dead/dying GPU), though right now it is sitting in a box and being a laptop stand.
When I did look though ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/anybody-tried-converting-a-mac-to-normal-screen.395098/ ) I found it internally used embedded displayport. A quick search just now says there are kits you can buy to turn things around, and if not then then it is not unreasonable to fabricate your own (it was mainly just a slight voltage difference if memory serves).

Alternatively if you can handle a tiny bit of latency you can probably do one of those software methods.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a late 2012 iMac that I love, but with my gaming PC...I really don't need it. But I need a second monitor. With the iMac being an all in one computer with a super nice 1440p screen, I thought, maybe it's possible to use it as a external monitor? I know it has TDM for other macs, but is there a way to rig it up to display as a second monitor for my Windows 10 PC?
pretty sure all the hdmi ports are output

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well considering how restrictive are Apple's products for interfacing with devices not from Apple, unless your gaming PC has a Mini DisplayPort/Thunderbolt [or a way to convert from HDMI to them] (the latter doesn't work, don't even try it), I'd say it's not easy to achieve.

From what I've read about the subject, looks like using LogMeIn might work for you.

Last edited by CMDreamer,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY