Hardware Update screwed my PC over

BakerMan

Class Clown of GBATemp
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just gaming on my PC, then it froze. Afterwards, since there was an update ready, it started to update. But the update froze at 98%, then I tried power cycling my PC, but that didn't work, then I entered advanced boot mode, tried repairing the startup, it didn't work. I turned it off and on again, then it started freezing at 94% instead.

Pls help I don't want to have to reset my PC again.

(btw, if it helps, I'm using a Windows 10 HP Pavilion 15-bs144, and specs are in my signature)

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was just gaming on my PC, then it froze. Afterwards, since there was an update ready, it started to update. But the update froze at 98%, then I tried power cycling my PC, but that didn't work, then I entered advanced boot mode, tried repairing the startup, it didn't work. I turned it off and on again, then it started freezing at 94% instead.

Pls help I don't want to have to reset my PC again.

(btw, if it helps, I'm using a Windows 10 HP Pavilion 15-bs144, and specs are in my signature)
Get a USB and reinstall windows itself through USB telling it to keep your files and apps. This will just reinstall the OS itself.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Systems don't fail out of nowhere, you should find what's causing the issues or even after reinstalling Windows it will fail again.

BakerMan

Class Clown of GBATemp
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get a USB and reinstall windows itself through USB telling it to keep your files and apps. This will just reinstall the OS itself.
That's what I did last time, but you unfortunately don't get to keep apps, meaning Firefox, Steam, Duolingo, FL Studio, everything, gone
Systems don't fail out of nowhere, you should find what's causing the issues or even after reinstalling Windows it will fail again.
how do i figure that out?

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what I did last time, but you unfortunately don't get to keep apps, meaning Firefox, Steam, Duolingo, FL Studio, everything, gone

how do i figure that out?
Try waiting out the repair/update for awhile. Give it an hour even. Windows should always be able to repair itself. If not then there is a bigger problem.

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Make backups of the necessary folders before doing the refresh install. I've done this many times with steam. Don't even need to move the steam folder back, just point to it in the Steam settings after reinstalling. Firefox, etc profile folders can also be backed up and simply copied back.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what OneDrive is for ;D ;D ;D ;D
One Drive is a very small portion of your PC data. Apple is by far better with automatic backup. You don't have to lift a finger with iPhone and for mac you just need to setup a time machine drive.

Sand box is so poor on the PC it is left totally on the developer of software to clean up after themself.

I am a fan of Microsoft but they can learn a few things from Apple.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
One Drive is a very small portion of your PC data. Apple is by far better with automatic backup. You don't have to lift a finger with iPhone and for mac you just need to setup a time machine drive.

Sand box is so poor on the PC it is left totally on the developer of software to clean up after themself.

I am a fan of Microsoft but they can learn a few things from Apple.
I know, why all the ;D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4