Status
Not open for further replies.

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Is it possible to block specific users on GBATemp so they can't interact in any way with your content?

I've observed that some users, which I'm deliberately not naming here, are constantly promoting toxic behavior on the website and I would genuinely prefer them to stop interacting with my content. They're incredibly condescending, toxic and if not verbally, they always flock to dislike my posts without giving explanations.

• Sad
Reactions: SylverReZ

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Tale as old as time. This can be requested a million times over but the usual parroting of “use the ignore” button which doesn’t function in any way close to a proper block feature will come up. You’ll “hide” their posts, but it doesn’t really do much tbh.

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
> -1
And here we fucking go again. I'm so tired of this website. Get immediately rid of all the fucking trolls plaguing the website.

Ad hominem is a fallacy. The argument itself should always be attacked instead of the person presenting it, yet that's a concept that a certain chunk of the userbase just cannot grasp.

• Angry
Reactions: SylverReZ

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
> -1
And here we fucking go again. I'm so tired of this website. Get immediately rid of all the fucking trolls plaguing the website.

Ad hominem is a fallacy. The argument itself should always be attacked instead of the person presenting it, yet that's a concept that a certain chunk of the userbase just cannot grasp.
You’ll get this anywhere. As much as I want a block feature (some names I’d be perfectly fine with never seeing come up again), you’ll never escape certain mindsets. That is, unless you choose to go off grid.

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
You’ll get this anywhere. As much as I want a block feature (some names I’d be perfectly fine with never seeing come up again), you’ll never escape certain mindsets. That is, unless you choose to go off grid.
Thanks. That makes me feel somewhat better. Just so tired of all this pathetic bullying going on here.

Reactions: Kioku

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah there are just a lot of people in the modern day who can't go 5 seconds without complaining or being negative about something. It just must be such a tiring life to live.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
I don't have a source for this and a quick Google search did not help (I'm probably using the wrong keywords), but I remember people mentioning back when Elon was going to remove the block feature from Twitter, that apparently in the EU it's a legal requirement for social media websites to have such a function. Is the ignore button really enough to meet this requirement?

Also, FYI you can limit people from opening your user page (separately from the ignore function), but it's pretty nuclear as it only offers a whitelist, not a blacklist.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
*Sigh*
(The following text is assuming real life identity is not involved)

I’m gonna get hated for repeating this once again (that is if anybody really reads my text):
All these buttons (“block”, “ignore”, “kick”, “blacklist”…) sourcing out important abilities your brain should have don’t do anything good to people using them in the long term.

Yes, I’ve encountered, also very recently bad behavior here. One of the few times it happened. Tried politely telling somebody to be more friendly and accept the existence of different opinions… and got… poorly disguised insults, semi-intelligent hidden by indirect aggressiveness. Happened on two occasions with the same user. Consequence? I will ignore them from now on (NOT with that button) and not reply to anything they say anymore if I ever see something from that user again. That is not something hard. Actually I’m always quite entertained when somebody tells me in condescending way that I must be suffering badly from their (and other) text on the screen.

I’ve yet to even understand the concept of – let’s say – “cyberbullying”. How should someone on the internet be remotely able to harm another person? What is commonly known nowadays under words like “toxic” or “[…]phob” is in the end just text. Either it is a real insult or even criminal (and therefore a reason for the site moderators of any site to delete it) or not (and therefore a reason for not dealing with the person anymore – like they say “just move on”). Our machines do still have a button for turning them off if it becomes too intense in a moment.

Nobody is fully protected in real life from unpleasant people. And they can do much, much more to you than write something you don’t want to read. Believe me, it can get threatening for your life!

As for stop interaction with the own content:
I’ve blocked my profile for comments since it happened a few times too often that stupid/condescending/low quality comments came in. My tolerance level for this lowered because of personal stress so I pulled the plug for now. A sad step. On the own profile such a possibility makes sense since it has no impact on anybody else.

On the forum on the other side… rather not. Things like this one could get problematic. This boils down to “I’ve not asked for a beginner’s lecture”. The ability to block (or even delete) things one doesn’t want to read could lead to important information to be suppressed. “I don’t want a beginner’s lecture” → block+delete → no visitor will see the warnings another person wanted to add.

If users could block, or even delete, (essentially moderate) in their own threads this can and will get abused.

that apparently in the EU it's a legal requirement for social media websites to have such a function.
If that is true, that's horrible over-regulation. It might be helpful against spambots wildly throwing garbage at people or for idiots demanding "Send nudes!" but a missing block button is not the end of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :P